Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer a year out of date...would you drink it?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

Everyone knows Carlsberg is like a fine wine, it gets better with age.
    That's why it tastes so bad when you drink it within date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Its a "best before" date not a "use by" date.

I often drink the odd tin thats 18 months or so out of date - nothing happened to me apart from posting utter shoite :D

There was a court case a few years back of someone selling corned beef from the first world war. They went to prison but the corned dog was tested and was absolutely fine to eat.

And...we're off. Well, they're off.

Opened one and took first sip and seems grand. Not flat anyway, and no worse than the draft in the local. Had been cooling in fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,371 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Nope. I had a bad experience with out of date beer given to me in a nightclub on a hen night and I was so unbelievably sick after it.
    woman on hen party feels sick from drink, who would have thunk it?!

Reminds me of my mate who would have 12+ pints and then wake up in absolute bits "never going to that chipper again, must have been a bad burger".

A lot of the dates these days are not even about being at their best, but more about marketing so older cans/bottles do not appear on shelves. It also encourages higher stock turnover, even though shops can legally sell stuff past its BB date.

When genuinely calculating these dates (not just for marketing) they will usually take worse case scenarios into account, i.e. it sitting in sunlight in a warm place all day, which would exponentially increase any deterioration.

Out of date beer will loose a little fizz, that's about it. If its in clear bottles it might be skunky too, but this can happen with beer well in date too.
    There was a court case a few years back of someone selling corned beef from the first world war. They went to prison but the corned dog was tested and was absolutely fine to eat.
    Any links to that? I thought it was still legal, unless some other reason prevented its sale, like inadequate ingredients listing. There was a case of a guy eating 50 year old tinned chicken supreme.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1509920/Chicken-tastes-supreme-after-50-years-in-a-tin.html
    Canned Food UK, the representative body for manufacturers, also said canned food could be preserved "indefinitely", as long as there were no dents to the tin. "There is no risk that the food is unsuitable for consumption after the sell-by date as long as the container is intact," said Steve Thomas, the organisation's chairman.
    "A can was recovered 10 years ago from Captain Scott's travels to Antarctica, and it was still deemed safe."

Cans of beer are not processed in the exact same way, no need as its self preserving, it is usually heat treated though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I had one pint of lager in a waterford hotel last year and an hour later I was very ill. Couldn't eat. A dose of scuts and a 10 pint hangover headache.

Its a "best before" date not a "use by" date.

I often drink the odd tin thats 18 months or so out of date - nothing happened to me apart from posting utter shoite :D

I smell bull****!

Into second one now, starting to notice a taste and feeling slightly queasy. But will press on. Still reckon it'll be no worse than the draft in the local, have had a few duds there and ploughed through them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Conor74 wrote:
    Into second one now, starting to notice a taste and feeling slightly queasy.

That's the beginning of the end for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,813 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

deco nate wrote: »
    What had you eaten before it that night? Out of date beer will not make you sick.
    Were you mixing you're drinks?

I had eaten a three course meal and had one glass of wine. I remember pretty much everything from the night. I remember the kind of odd taste of the beer and thought it might have been the food making it taste odd so rolled with it. Got to the second one and thought to myself, this really does taste a bit odd and looked at the date and it was out by a good few months. I handed it back and stopped drinking then. In total, I'd had a glass of wine at the hotel and had one beer before that in another pub. Headed back to the hotel and proceeded to vomit.

Could have been just a bad night and an odd coincidence but I've stayed on the safe side since.

And just opened 3rd. Or 5th overall. Feels...different. Heartrate starting to increase., but that could be all the cigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

I drank 10 cans of two year out of date Guinness that were given to me by a friend who found them in his recently deceased uncles house.

They tasted grand but I fear my arse could be haunted.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

Have often drank out of date beer. Doesnt do anything except give you a very bad hangover if you drink a certain amount of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

rubadub wrote: »
    Any links to that? I thought it was still legal, unless some other reason prevented its sale, like inadequate ingredients listing.

Only my encyclopedic memory :D

Could well have been 25 years ago.
    Willfarman wrote: »
    I smell bull****!

Which part?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I drank six cans of 1 year out of date smithwicks seven weeks ago and they were mighty fine. No problems at all.

On the other hand, I do notice a twangy odd taste from out of date beer, not nice at all.

Only my encyclopedic memory :D

Could well have been 25 years ago.

Which part?

Corned beef from ww1 would be worth more as a collectors item than as a consumable product.. People were Feckin starving in the years after the war. Wasn't a surplus of the stuff in intervention stores or anything.

Halfway through 6th. Feels strange. Just went to toilet and thought something moved incorner of bathroom. A strange feeling like there was a rat there, but without the shape of a rat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Willfarman wrote: »
    Corned beef from ww1 would be worth more as a collectors item than as a consumable product.. People were Feckin starving in the years after the war. Wasn't a surplus of the stuff in intervention stores or anything.

OK then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

It'll be fine. The beer was boiled, cooled and filtered before getting canned in a sanitised state. As long as it's sealed there is little to no chance of any dodgy microorganisms to make you ill. The flavor may well change and bottled beer will skunk with light but correctly stored you'll be grand.

How about draught beer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It will taste manky.

Being Carlsberg and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

I would be sleeping on the jacks tonight if I were you or else wear a diaper.

7 cans in. Stomach churning. Cigs and watching danny Boyles trance not helping, trying to figure out film. Rat has moved with me into sitting room, sitting in corner but not there when. I look directly at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

When you said beer did you mean LSD :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

3 litres of beer in an hour and a half?

You're doing it wrong OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

There's probably magic mushroom fungi on the lip of the cans that is causing this strange effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I wouldn't be afraid to drink it, but I'd chose not to.
    I don't think it'd taste the same, but having said, it probably won't taste any different at all.

Ah sure, drink it and if ya die, can I have your sofa? Mine's fit for the skip and it's doing my back in.

catallus wrote: »
    3 litres of beer in an hour and a half?

You're doing it wrong OP!

Always drank fast. Curse in a round. But this **** is starting to get weird. Rat in corner of room still there and room starting to spin. Thank **** for predictive text or reckon these would be unintelligible. Can't believe it spelt uninstall. Rate starting to move a lot, went to bathroom and stumbled and cracked head, so NW have blod on shirt. 2 more cans left, Ithink. I will get through them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

2 more cans left, Ithink. I will get through them.

Will you at least get your facts right, you said in op you had 6 cans, previous post you were into your 7th can and now you have two more cans left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

... 2 more cans left, Ithink. I will get through them.

Yes, sounds like a sterling idea, Conor.

Have you considered using an IV drip as an alcohol delivery method? Much more efficient :)

Will you at least get your facts right, you said in op you had 6 cans, previous post you were into your 7th can and now you have two more cans left.

I had 6 put of date cans. Plus 2 in date cans. Which Idrank first.