Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church Records site

• 23-07-2010 12:55pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This site (churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie) states that it has completed the addition of all Dublin COI records yet I still can't find what I'm looking for so I'm hoping someone here will know if they have more records to add or if I'm just not looking correctly.

28 Dec 1882
    William Joseph McAlister married Rose Anne Cooke at Christ Church, Rathgar

I already have the cert but I wouldn't mind getting hold of William Joseph's birth records and I have a feeling that they are from the same church.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I don't see Rathgar on their list. Could it be as simple as the records don't survive?

In my experience, the CoI registers don't give nearly as much detail as the Catholic ones. I've yet to see a CoI baptism record yield a mother's maiden name, whereas RC ones nearly always do. The addresses on the marriage certs usually just say something like "Rose Cooke, of this parish" to XY of X parish without a full address. The best luck I ever had with a church marriage record was from Star of the Sea church in Ballsbridge, which gave full addresses for witnesses, parents and the couple, as well as indicating which of the parents were dead and maiden names of both mothers.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

As far as I know the IrishGenealogy website is concentrating (at least initially) on the City parishes.. so maybe suburbs like Rathgar are not included yet.

I think Rathgar would be in the Civil and CofI parish of Rathfarnham.

Shane

isn't Christ Church Rathgar presbyterian ?

S.

edit : just remembered you posted the cert a while ago.. and it is a Presbyterian marriage rather than CofI

I presume this is the same family - based on the 1901 census William was born in Co. Meath - see : http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Rathmines/Rathgar_Avenue/1296879/

Rose Anne gives Co. Westmeath as her place of birth on the 1901 census and Co. Dublin on the 1911 return

Shane

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

shanew wrote: »
    I presume this is the same family - based on the 1901 census William was born in Co. Meath - see : http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Rathmines/Rathgar_Avenue/1296879/

Rose Anne gives Co. Westmeath as her place of birth on the 1901 census and Co. Dublin on the 1911 return

Shane

Yes, that's the woman. The 1911 census is incorrect as she was in fact born in Lisnascreen, Co.Meath in 1862 to Isaac Cooke, son of Abraham Cooke. They appear in Griffiths Valuations)

I have Rose Anne's marriage cert and her dad's marriage cert (1858, Kilglass, Co. Longford to Jane Canning) but no parish birth records (CoI families).

• Advertisement

Ponster wrote: »
    Yes, that's the woman. The 1911 census is incorrect as she was in fact born in Lisnascreen, Co.Meath in 1862 to Isaac Cooke, son of Abraham Cooke. They appear in Griffiths Valuations)

I have Rose Anne's marriage cert and her dad's marriage cert (1858, Kilglass, Co. Longford to Jane Canning) but no parish birth records (CoI families).

from what I can see Lisnascreen is actually Co. Westmeath

Shane

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

shanew wrote: »
    from what I can see Lisnascreen is actually Co. Westmeath

Shane

Yep. My bad. All those counties north of Tipperary confuse me :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Will they be adding in other church records?

owenc wrote: »
    Will they be adding in other church records?

The IrishGenealogy website is currently working on further records (mostly RC) for Dublin city, and parts of Cork city and county.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭kilsmum

Its good Irish Genealogy are putting up more records for Cork city. They only have records for two city churches available and unfortunately they are not the churches I need to search records in :(:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement