Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SAFETY NOTICES

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

Got a letter this morning from hotpoint regarding a dishwasher we no longer have, but as it's a fire safety notice, thought I'd post it here for anyone who may not have registered theirs.

If you have any of the following models:

FDW20, FDW60, FDW65A, DWF30, DWF31, DWF32, DWF33, DWF34, DWF35, DWM37, DC26.

You need to contact the helpline on 0818 776 188 with the model and the serial number or email dish-ie@Hotpoint.co.uk. As there is a module in it which may overheat & cause the unit to catch fire.

• On bbc news link http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34901765

see below as i just bought indesit dryer on 1st Nov 2015 from powercity and it is effected by this recall. Company states dryer if on should not be left unattended, so please be aware

A "significant" number of tumble dryers sold in the last 11 years in the UK may need a repair owing to fears about fires.
    Owners of large air-vented dryers and condensing dryers under the Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda brands may need to have them fixed.
    Indesit said that excess fluff could catch the heating element in the machine and cause a fire.
    It is recalling many dryers bought between April 2004 and October 2015.
    The company said that the tumble dryers could still be used but should not if they were left unattended.
    Checks and visits
    It is asking owners to check whether their machine is one of those affected and, if so, to contact the company through its dedicated website.
    If action is needed, an engineer will visit to mend the machine - a process that the company said could take an hour.
    The safety review began following Whirlpool Corporation's purchase of the Indesit business in October 2014.
    There are an estimated 30 million Whirlpool, Indesit and Hotpoint machines in UK households, but the company said it would not speculate about exactly how many had been affected.
    In June, consumer group Which? said that nearly 12,000 fires in the past three years in Britain had been the fault of defective white goods and kitchen equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36562398

Manufacturers of dangerous tumble dryers should recall them immediately, fire services have said.
    The Local Government Authority warned that people are "playing Russian roulette" by using appliances prone to exploding into flames.
    It said firefighters are attending three blazes a day caused by the dryers.
    Hotpoint owner Whirlpool said: "The safety of our customers is our number one priority."
    Modify dryers
    Whirlpool, which also owns the Indesit and Creda brands, has said that more than five million tumble dryers need to be modified to prevent fluff building up near the heating element and bursting into flame.
    The company has agreed with Trading Standards that it will repair them when asked by owners, but some people have been told they will have to wait until next year for a visit....

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

That's the UK though. They're not doing it here

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hollytreehouse

Are you sure it England only as I bought a Whirlpool dryer which is outside in the garage. As garage is away from house, I often forget to check it for hours on end.

Just my luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Dream Jealous Tinsel

Was waiting 1yr (early Nov 2015) for a whirlpool engineer to fix my dryer (yes, one with the severe/heightened fire risk), well the lad showed up today shook his head and said it can't be fixed as it's flat drum back type (surely he should have known this already having the model number).

Apparently the lady on from the service center said they're only half-way through the whole risk resolution process and still can't give any time-frame as to when it will actually be resolved.

Next time, (as per my ultra reliable car) always buy Japanese, not this sort of junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

Mod: Please don't post unsubstantiated rants naming brands that could potentially be libellous

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭blackbox

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36562398

Manufacturers of dangerous tumble dryers should recall them immediately, fire services have said.
    The Local Government Authority warned that people are "playing Russian roulette" by using appliances prone to exploding into flames.
    It said firefighters are attending three blazes a day caused by the dryers.
    Hotpoint owner Whirlpool said: "The safety of our customers is our number one priority."
    Modify dryers
    Whirlpool, which also owns the Indesit and Creda brands, has said that more than five million tumble dryers need to be modified to prevent fluff building up near the heating element and bursting into flame.
    The company has agreed with Trading Standards that it will repair them when asked by owners, but some people have been told they will have to wait until next year for a visit....

I see that Whirlpool are to imminently recall all of these in UK. Does anyone have a list of affected model numbers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Dream Jealous Tinsel

blackbox wrote: »
    I see that Whirlpool are to imminently recall all of these in UK. Does anyone have a list of affected model numbers?
    https://www.hotpointservice.co.uk/safety-notice
    (website might be jammed due to recent news).

https://safety.hotpoint.eu/country.jsp?lang=en (uk & ire) 2004-2015

They eventually sent out one of their better senior engineers to fix my yoke after a message to them on their social media, this was couple of years ago after already waiting over 1yr.
    Was a long wait but this 2nd chap was much better than the last one, and he replaced a shed load of parts, new drum, new back, new electrics etc etc.
    Reckon it would've been cheaper to hand me a new dryer than have this lad drive out and do a couple of hours of multiple replacement parts fitting.

Tumble dryers seem naturaly to be the highest risk, and they should be clear of any excess dust/fluff which can act like tinder if it ever in direct contact with heating elements at the back.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Seems the optional recall is only on ones they've not got around to modifying yet. Considering the amount of work that needs done to fix them, it is indeed a surprise that a replacement wasn't an option from the start really.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49043425

I wonder if Whirlpool somewhat regret their takeover of the Indesit Company :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Whirlpool has issued a recall notice on some of its models of washing machines due to a potential safety concern.

It affects certain models of Hotpoint and Indesit washing machines made between October 2014 and 2018 and it is feared up to 11,000 machines in Ireland may be impacted.

A flaw with the door-locking system may lead them to overheat and potentially catch fire.

Whirpool launched an urgent recall of certain models of tumble dryers over fire safety fears in July of this year.

If you think your washing machine might be affected, you can check by calling 0818 903 281 or by visiting https://washingmachinerecall.whirlpool.ie/ .

Here is a full list of the models involved in the Whirlpool recall of fire-risk Hotpoint and Indesit branded washing machines.

The models are listed by their commercial code, followed by the brand name.

FML 742P UK Hotpoint
    WMAOD 743G UK Hotpoint
    WMAOD 743P UK Hotpoint
    WMAQB 721P UK.M Hotpoint
    WMAQC 641P UK.M Hotpoint
    WMAQC 741G UK Hotpoint
    WMAQC 741P UK Hotpoint
    WMAQC 741P UK.M Hotpoint
    WMAQF 621G UK Hotpoint
    WMAQF 621P UK Hotpoint
    WMAQF 641 P UK.M Hotpoint
    WMAQF 721G UK Hotpoint
    WMAQF 721P UK.M Hotpoint
    WMAQL 621G UK Hotpoint
    WMBF 742G UK Hotpoint
    WMBF 742K UK Hotpoint
    WMBF 742P UK Hotpoint
    WMBF 742P UK.M Hotpoint
    WMBF 763P UK Hotpoint
    WMEF 722 BC UK Hotpoint
    WMEF 742 P UK Hotpoint
    WMEUF 722P UK Hotpoint
    WMEUF 743G UK Hotpoint
    WMEUF 743P UK Hotpoint
    WMFG 741P UK Hotpoint
    WMFG 741P UK.M Hotpoint
    WMFUG 742 P UK.M Hotpoint
    WMFUG 742G UK Hotpoint
    WMFUG 742P UK Hotpoint
    WMFUG 842P UK.M Hotpoint
    WMJLF 842P UK Hotpoint
    WMJLL 742P UK Hotpoint
    WMSAQG 621P UK Hotpoint
    WMXTF 742G UK Hotpoint
    WMXTF 742K UK Hotpoint
    WMXTF 742P UK Hotpoint
    WMXTF 742P UK.M Hotpoint
    WMXTF 842P UK.M Hotpoint
    WMYL 7151PS UK Hotpoint
    XWA 81252X K UK Indesit
    XWA 81252X W UK Indesit
    XWD 71452X K UK Indesit
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/up-to-11000-washing-machines-may-be-recalled-by-whirlpool-due-to-fire-safety-concerns-970955.html

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

To follow the post above, further models have now been added to their recall list, as of today. (some seem to be duplicated though).

WMAQB 641P UK
    WMAQB 721P UK
    WMAQB 741G UK
    WMAQB 741P UK
    WMAQF 621P UK.L
    WMAQF 641G UK
    WMAQF 641P UK
    WMAQF 721P UK
    WMAQG 641G UK
    WMAQG 641P UK
    WMAQG 721P UK
    WMAQG 721P UK.M
    WMAQG 741P UK.M
    WMAQL 621P UK
    WMAQL 641P UK
    WMAQL 721A UK
    WMAQL 721P UK
    WMAQL 721P UK.M
    WMAQL 741G UK
    WMAQL 741P UK
    WMSAQG 621G UK

https://washingmachinerecall.whirlpool.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Just seen this BOXO BLENDER going on fire and made in China and to bin it as not suitable for UK and assume IRL.

Stay safe folks

Advertisement