Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

They gave him a "Ball" of merch. Had he signed it and sold it to fans, there would have been potential to make more than 2K

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    They gave him a "Ball" of merch. Had he signed it and sold it to fans, there would have been potential to make more than 2K

that's very demeaning in fairness, that's a real morrissey move :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

that's very demeaning in fairness, that's a real morrissey move :)

Think it's fine, he didn't outright ask for money.

I love Bell era Lizzy but the guy isn't exactly business savvy as shown down through the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Be ideal if the likes of Tubrudy and D'Arcy were told here's a few RTE hats and tshirts ye can sign them to fetch potential earnings but we are no longer stretching the licence fee for ye. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

If it took him 20 years to complain publicly about it he couldn't have been that bothered about it!

I hope the book sells well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Reading that makes Bell sound like more of a clown tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

S&M2 is on again tonight in a bunch of cinemas for anyone that missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

I have two questions, my first is who thinks 'Master ..' is possibly their best song, and my second is who can play it?

I'm a yes and yes by the way.

Yes and yes. Given how young the lads were when they wrote master and how technically brilliant it is is amazing. Everything from the speed of the down picking to the slow melody mid section just pure class for a group lads in their early 20s

• Registered Users Posts: 28,782 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

cd07 wrote: »
    I have two questions, my first is who thinks 'Master ..' is possibly their best song, and my second is who can play it?

Yes and yes. Given how young the lads were when they wrote master and how technically brilliant it is is amazing. Everything from the speed of the down picking to the slow melody mid section just pure class for a group lads in their early 20s

cant play it for ****, its too bloody quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Why does this question, word for word keep coming up?

Is there some meme I don’t know about?

• Advertisement

From the speed of the downpicking to the blatent theft of a riff from david bowie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

who thinks 'Master ..' is possibly their best song

It is certainly up there. My opinion on what is definitively their best song can change week on week!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Any news on James? Still in rehab?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

First Metallica album I heard was Master, was on one side of a C90 on the other was Napalm Death's Scum album.
    Much preferred Scum and took me ages to get into Metallica

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

From the speed of the downpicking to the blatent theft of a riff from david bowie :)

What riff would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Can play it alternate picking. Refuse to believe someone can down pick that.

Blackened is the one I'd love to be able to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,782 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

D.Q wrote:

Beast of a song

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭klose

D.Q wrote: »

They used the always play it for their encore tune until they started the European leg of their tour and switched it to spit out the bone (which is a great head banger too) but would have loved to seen them play blacked the intro is so sick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Any news on James? Still in rehab?

Nothing that I can find.

They are still committing to festival appearances in the new year so clearly the band is of the opinion that when James is feeling better they will pick up where they left off.

Hopefully that is/will be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭skallywag

Definitely one of their best and can also play all of James's parts, have never really tried Kirk's leads.

I'll even raise the bar for you and mention I can play it as fast as they play it live :pac:

• Advertisement

skallywag wrote: »
    Definitely one of their best and can also play all of James's parts, have never really tried Kirk's leads.

I'll even raise the bar for you and mention I can play it as fast as they play it live :pac:

downstrokes?

D.Q wrote: »

I actually find it harder to alternate than to downpick for some odd reason. My right hand nearly used to fall of with pain in my wrist before it even gets to any singing, but hammering it out time after time I eventually could make it through the who song without stopping.

I recently learned most of the main riffs to Blackened, it takes a lot of practice though to smoothly get from the middle of the fretboard to the neck stuff, plus the rhythm changes are very hard to get your hand-brain-hand co-ordination around.

downstrokes?

I think so, I am sitting here at work computer trying to 'airplay' it without looking like a clown, but I think so. Definitely the first few minutes of it, but I am kinda second guessing now that part when the singing kicks in. Need to have a guitar in my hand to be 100% sure, will see later!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mobitron

What riff would that be?

"Andy Warhol" from Hunky Dory.

downstrokes?

OK, just fired her up at home to take a look.

I play the whole song downpicked, apart from the 6 note sequence which comes after the 'faster' or 'master' in the chorus, if you get me.

I actually do not really know why I am alternating these I seem to be doing it without thinking about it, as it would not be really difficult to downpick these as well, but I guess my brain is just doing something from another similar riff in some other tune, etc.

One which I still struggle on though is Creeping Death, it is extremely difficult to play that at live speed with down picking. I get it about 50% of time. It's more the stuttering change of rhythm which is the tough part I think, more than the speed itself. Somewhat like how the rhythm changes abruply within riffs like you find in 'I am the Law' from Anthrax, or 'Toxic Waltz' from Exodus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭briany

Fantastic podcast this week from a guy called Dean Delray. He chats to his old buddy from the Bay Area, Kirk Hammett, about such things as how Kirk came to own Greenie (the '59 Les Paul owned by Peter Green and Gary Moore), formative years, Exodus and Paul Baloff, Metallica's heyday, and more besides. Kirk's very open on this one. 2+ hours of juicy goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Looking a hell of a lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Looking a hell of a lot better.

Hair cut, no beard, lost weight. New man!

Advertisement