Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Irish Porter War

• 17-05-2019 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

Gunniess family v the Murphy Family.

On two separate occasions I've had this happen to me in Cork city. First occasion was on a stag, Early morning going for the cure, fella behind the bar refused to serve me G, told me it's Murphys down here boi. I thought he was doing the whole cute Cork hoor act and I laughed, but the fcker stood firm,. Took about 5 mins of arguing to get my stout of choice.

The second time was at my sisters Grad in Cork. All the family out for dinner in a nice restaurant. I asked for a pint of Art and was told, it's Murphys here. Didn't argue, the next time I went for a leak I took a gander over to the bar area and noticed a Guinness tap in operation. Wtf?

On reading the history of Guinness book I believe that there was once some sort of a gentlemans agreement between the families, G agreed to stay out of Cork county and Murphys agreed to stay out of the Dublin market. As Guinness grew they reneged on this agreement and broke into Cork.

A shot across the bow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I don't believe you. I have drank thousands of pints in Guinness in Cork accompanied by thousands of Guinness farts.

I prefer Beamish for what its worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dexter2019

Porterhouse Plain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Ur mistake ya langer was comin to the real capital spouting your up the country ****e. I hope you showed you're passport at the Cork border and got the visitors visa. And Murphys or Beamish is the only way to go. Think New York prohibition here. Arthur is as welcome here as Brian O Driscoll and his jackeen ilk.
    C'mon the rebels.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Guinness really pulled a trick convincing everyone they were Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I got Guinness in Cork City with no hassle but I was wearing a Leinster jersey so they would have felt subservient to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,631 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A pint of Diageo is yer only man.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,554 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Pints of peroni are yer man

U will be drunk as **** tho

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Dexter2019 wrote: »
    Porterhouse Plain

That or Sweetman's. Lovely stuff. On a sesh I like Beamish though. Unlike Guinness it doesn't taste like farts after the 6th pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,631 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They don't seem to have a problem selling Guinness and Diageo products around the Jazz Festival in Cork.

Never had a problem ordering a Guinness there either at any time, maybe it's just you OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

100% made up story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Beer? I like beer.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

So you're saying some pubs in Cork buying Guinness but refuse to serve it?

Don't see the business logic there tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

100% made up story.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I don't believe you. I have drank thousands of pints in Guinness in Cork accompanied by thousands of Guinness farts.

.....you're responsible for global warming then, bucko. Don't run - a unit has been dispatched to bring you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭HBC08

Gunniess family v the Murphy Family.

On two separate occasions I've had this happen to me in Cork city. First occasion was on a stag, Early morning going for the cure, fella behind the bar refused to serve me G, told me it's Murphys down here boi. I thought he was doing the whole cute Cork hoor act and I laughed, but the fcker stood firm,. Took about 5 mins of arguing to get my stout of choice.

The second time was at my sisters Grad in Cork. All the family out for dinner in a nice restaurant. I asked for a pint of Art and was told, it's Murphys here. Didn't argue, the next time I went for a leak I took a gander over to the bar area and noticed a Guinness tap in operation. Wtf?

On reading the history of Guinness book I believe that there was once some sort of a gentlemans agreement between the families, G agreed to stay out of Cork county and Murphys agreed to stay out of the Dublin market. As Guinness grew they reneged on this agreement and broke into Cork.

A shot across the bow.

So the barman told you it was murphys only and then eventually went and got you a Guinness.....from the Guinness tap?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I’d say the OP was on the porter himself when he started the thread. Talking tarmac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dexter2019

I’d say the OP was on the porter himself when he started the thread. Talking tarmac.
    I'd say you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Odhinn wrote: »
    .....you're responsible for global warming then, bucko. Don't run - a unit has been dispatched to bring you in.

It's burps that is causing the global warming actually. :)

Advertisement