Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's happened to the Soccer Shop on George's Street?

• 17-12-2008 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Does anyone know what's happened to the Soccer Shop on George's Street? I was passing this morning and it's all cleared out with guys in there gutting the place.

Is it just being renovated or is it another recession victim?

I can't say it was the friendliest of places to visit but it was good for niche football products and jerseys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

You're right it wasn't the friendliest but it was way ahead of its time. It was the only place in the pre-premier league early 90s to get Manchester City shirts (mmmm purple and blue Umbro numbers!). I think there was also a short lived second branch on Aston Quay if memory serves me correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Closed down Saturday 2 weeks ago. As far as I know the owner owns the shop on Cathedral St (just off O'Connell St), its very similar to the Soccer Shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Wasn't that Pat Chaneys Soccer Shop?
    Damn... loved looking at all the 'foreign' jerseys there when I was in town as a kid.
    Only place I ever saw a Sheffield Wednesday jersey!
    They served us well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Pat retired and he sold the lease back to the landlord!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭simonw

Ah ****e, i had 15e on a gift card from there, poxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

You could always try Sportsmith on Talbot street and Cathedral street where you get same unfriendly attitude but nice range of jerseys.
    The one n Aston Quay was a brilliant shop cant believe that closed either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Glad it's gone, guy was as ungrateful as they come. Never bought gloves there due to his attitude. Supposedly there was a huge closing down sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 eire4life

That chap was some goon. good riddens.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It looks like all of Castle House is being cleared out - I presume the planned renovation / reconstruction is going to go ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭patrickSTARR

ah got my hamburg ****s there and my barca socks....good times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 butch991

hi all

soccer shop was great while it lasted but fear not i have heard a different type of soccer shop is to open in dublin in te next few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

butch991 wrote: »
    hi all

soccer shop was great while it lasted but fear not i have heard a different type of soccer shop is to open in dublin in te next few months

Need more info. Come on, give....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

butch991 wrote: »
    hi all

The FAI shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Beechman

A new UMBRO shop has opened in the basement of the Carrolls Gift shop on Westmoreland street. They have all the official Ireland gear as well as the League of Ireland clubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 butch991

new shop is to open at the start of next season,location is still unknown, its to carry full range of premiership merchandise and rep of ireland ,its to be called the soccer supporters shop. will post more info when available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Beechman wrote: »
    A new UMBRO shop has opened in the basement of the Carrolls Gift shop on Westmoreland street. They have all the official Ireland gear as well as the League of Ireland clubs

Sorry - this is what I had in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 redredred

Advertisement