Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best mpg/reliable cars (real terms)

• 12-01-2010 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

We see a lot of cars selling with 40/50+ mpg, but do you really get those levels. I know we all drive differently.
    But what sort of mpg are you really getting when the sales leaflet says differently. It just be interesting to see if those figures are really reachable etc.
    I am still in two minds on what my next car will be.
    Ideally i would like Lexus IS220d which staets it will get 40mpg
    or
    Toyota Avensis gives 50mpg
    or
    BMW 320d/520d, i think i heard roughly 50mpg

If you have one of the above models i'd love to hear back, otherwise if you can let me know what sort of mpg your currently getting on your car, stating model and engine size, transmission etc.

I can live with lower mpg but reliability is also very important so i'd love to hear how reliable your car is too. Service intervals/ milleage covered before any real issue arose etc.

Anyway i think you understand what i looking for.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Toyota Prius II 67mpg official
    real word Ireland 55mpg motorway 45mpg dublin city(wifes and family car )

best real world achieved mpg ;dublin to wexford 80 miles journey @73mpg ! (road works=slow, produced good result)
    new Prius does better ... ultra reliable proper Toyota built in Japan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

biggus wrote: »
    Toyota Prius II 67mpg official
    real word Ireland 55mpg motorway 45mpg dublin city(wifes and family car )

best real world achieved mpg ;dublin to wexford 80 miles journey @73mpg ! (road works=slow, produced good result)
    new Prius does better ... ultra reliable proper Toyota built in Japan

Wow that's fairly pathetic, in fairness the same journey was done before chrimbo by a few blokes in a few identicle diesel focuses. The fella that won got 86mpg. There's a lot of modern diesels that could beat a Prius and be more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

squod wrote: »
    Wow that's fairly pathetic, in fairness the same journey was done before chrimbo by a few blokes in a few identicle diesel focuses. The fella that won got 86mpg. There's a lot of modern diesels that could beat a Prius and be more reliable.

My wife always gets AN AVERAGE of between 55-60mpg in her 06 1.6 diesel focus.

It would easily get 75mpg doing a constant 60mph

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...a friend of mine with a 1.5D Saxo, reports a regular 73mpg, and that's an old car.

Boss'es 06 Passat 2.0Tdi regularly returning 46mpg.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

'97 Audi A4 1.9TDI 90bhp, I'm getting ~52mpg :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭bladespin

Fiat Punto 1.2 petrol motorway driving 53.2 mpg (personal calculation - display was 55). Town work was usually around 40.
    Afla Romeo 1.9 JTDm Diesel, motorway 55/60 motorway (rough calculation) depends on what load it's carrying. Town can be from 35 to 40.

Shocked at the Prius results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Are people quoting mpg figures based on calculation or on a trip comp reading? If its off the trip you should adjust it down by approx 10% as they do tend to over-read quite a bit.

Wife's Almera 1.5 gets 50mpg (proper pencil & paper calculation) week in week out - mainly motorway driving granted but still very impressive considering its petrol!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

There's a massive thread ongoing with info you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

This website has thousands of real-world results
    http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/

Advertisement