Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baby Name

• 06-02-2020 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping some of you clever folk can help my wife and I out.

Our baby boy is due shortly and we really like the name “Grian” as in the sun.

Not so keen on how it is spelled, however, and much prefer “Ghrian” as a spelling.

I understand from my memories of Gaeilge in school that it would only be spelled Ghrian when used in a sentence such as “Ta an ghrian ag taitneamh ard sa spéir”.

Would it be completely incorrect to use the spelling Ghrian over Grian?

Much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

List of names for children:

http://www.leabhair.ie/sob/ainm/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cathellen

I'm hoping some of you clever folk can help my wife and I out.

Our baby boy is due shortly and we really like the name “Grian” as in the sun.

Not so keen on how it is spelled, however, and much prefer “Ghrian” as a spelling.

I understand from my memories of Gaeilge in school that it would only be spelled Ghrian when used in a sentence such as “Ta an ghrian ag taitneamh ard sa spéir”.

Would it be completely incorrect to use the spelling Ghrian over Grian?

Much appreciated.

Because 'grian' is a feminine noun you must put 'h' in when you put the article 'an' before it. So 'grian álainn' is correct but ' an ghrian álainn' . So Ghrian on it's own would be incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

Was about to say it doesn't read ok,as a Male name,ive never came across the name for a child

Id name him Liam after your post name beautiful name

Im Caitrióna and god forbid it would be said differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

triona1 wrote: »
    Id name him Liam after your post name beautiful name

Im Caitrióna and god forbid it would be said differently.

thats a popular boys name. I definately would not.

Seriously - Most of the world will make a dogs dinner of pronouncing either Grian (cryin/ brian with a g, / chuh een and she will always be referred to and thought of as green wherever she goes. Would you not choose something else?

That said I think you are correct in saying that with the H is the genative version and so you would also be spelling it incorrectly to add to her woes.

• Advertisement

I was just posting in English trying to help not my kid it's no good naming a baby in Irish without being able to pronounce it but that's for a different fora sin é

Actually the surname makes a change?

Has it a Mac,Mc,o'

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

thats a popular boys name. I definately would not.

Seriously - Most of the world will make a dogs dinner of pronouncing either Grian (cryin/ brian with a g, / chuh een and she will always be referred to and thought of as green wherever she goes. Would you not choose something else?

That said I think you are correct in saying that with the H is the genative version and so you would also be spelling it incorrectly to add to her woes.

And the baby is a boy !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    And the baby is a boy !

ooo - How did I read girl from that!? I see it there big and bold in front of me now that I look properly - my apologies! Congratulations!!!! (almost!) He’ll still be called cryin or brian or green thou :( or worse - sonny boy.

Not to want to be a repetitive bore or name pest
    http://www.namenerds.com/irish/meaning5.html

this is a different link to the other provided based on sun name derivitives - might be of interest? Lots more normal but cool actual Irish names that are in use and actual names there? Hope its not insulting to you. Must be a pain in the neck everyone having an opinion your little baby boy to be name!

Advertisement