Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foot Warmer

• 19-12-2010 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

My extremities have been suffering with the cold. Solved the hand problem with the S-Boston handwarmers, also warm the core if pocketed right :D

Moving onto feet I got a few of these (foot warmer item number 220702393539). I used them first tonight in a lot of snow and bitter cold out. They did put out some heat in fairness, but will need to give them another go.

On the other hand, am quite happy with the liner socks and heat holder socks I got :D Looking to get new insoles, then install the foil heat reflectors in them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

[IMG][/img]Screen-shot-2010-07-16-at-5_24-large.jpg

how 'bout a pair of these to keep yourtootsies warm :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭shuvly

I have to admit am in wrong place,..but when I see foot warmer..I get a bit excited...I will now leave and go bak to my beloved ah..note to self...never succomb to foot warming thingys....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

sorry lads, she must have chewed through the chains again, won't happen again. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭clivej

John my number two son got me a pair of electric insoles for the boots last xmas. they run off two battery packs, one around each ankle. I never did get to try them out your more than welcome to give them a go if you want. I'll get a link up to them soon.
    Something like these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Primrose-London-CF0040-Warmawear-Insoles/dp/B002Z7T19C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292805087&sr=8-1

315PtUOseTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Tried Maplins version of those before Clive. All I got was a hot smell :D Looking for Thinsulate 3m thermal insoles, but can't find them this side of the Atlantic so far!

• Advertisement

Well John i'm using the hikers socks from Aldi. They are fitted for both left and right feet have a thick sole and long body that comes up to the top the calf. about €7 a pair (or maybe 2 pair ??
    I must say I never got cold feet with them and I always suffered with cold feet. Was stalking in -9 C a couple of weeks ago sitting waiting for them to come across the track for 3/4 hour and never got cold. Give them a try.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I have always had trouble with cold feet. Poor circulation. Have the same thing inmy hands. Problem is if the feet are cold the rest of you gets cold quicker (at least in my case).

I tried everything from socks, insoles, boots, etc, but only recently "cracked" it.

My local Londis was selling thermal socks. I thought, yeah right, but i'll try a pair. Bought them and when worn in conjunction with my new boots, have to say never had the comfort, warmth and protection.

The socks are a non-named brand, but doing the job. I have to give credit to the new boots. Very light, comfortable with multi layered sole and insoles.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

To be honest, I've never had to go beyond the thin pair of socks & thick pair of socks combination (when I'm walking in the cold, I'm just walking, I don't stay still for any long periods of time), but I keep hearing magnificent things about sealskinz socks and if they're half as good as the gloves, they're definitely worth trying John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Fellas may laugh, but put a plastic bag into your boot and you increase insulation massively in cold conditions. An old army survival trick

I've used Tesco-ziplokt bags and you would be surprised how a simple thing can make such a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭patsat

Fellas may laugh, but put a plastic bag into your boot and you increase insulation massively in cold conditions. An old army survival trick

I've used Tesco-ziplokt bags and you would be surprised how a simple thing can make such a difference

It only feels warmer cause ur keepin out the water....just by boots that ain't leakin and stop tryin to take the cheap way out! :P

And in regards to the op, i still love my muck boots!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

patsat wrote: »
    It only feels warmer cause ur keepin out the water....just by boots that ain't leakin and stop tryin to take the cheap way out! :P

Pat, Study insulation and you will understand it is because you are creating an extra layer of insulation or if you prefer DPC.:D

As young kids we used dunnes stores bags in wellies.
    And FYI the wellies did not leak, it was to keep feet warm in frost.

If you get a sleeping bag liner and put it in a sleeping back you massively increase the warmth from a very small layer of silk.

We had homemade tinsulate before it was invented!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

here giz a few of them john me feet are bleed'n freezing.:D i can't hack this cold anymore.

patsat wrote: »

I'd have another pair of MB's if they didn't crack & cut so easily. Owned and killed two, both leaked within 8 months to 1 year I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭brianfrancis45

Sparks wrote: »
    To be honest, I've never had to go beyond the thin pair of socks & thick pair of socks combination (when I'm walking in the cold, I'm just walking, I don't stay still for any long periods of time), but I keep hearing magnificent things about sealskinz socks and if they're half as good as the gloves, they're definitely worth trying John.

+1 on the Sealskinz - a mighty job !

If boots are your thing then the Sealskinz mid/calf socks are fine and if you want that extra bit of insulation and padding for more comfort then also get the Sealskinz Merino Warm Liner sock ( only costs about £ 5 extra). If your preference is for wellies , then I would recommend the Sealskinz Long Light socks (they come up to the knee) and do cost a bit more (about £ 35) than the mid/calf length.

When I was using run of the mill unlined wellies I would wear the liner sock and the Long Light Sock over them. Warm and comfortable even in very cold conditions.

Having holed the old wellies recently, the wife ( god bless her cotton socks) treated me to an early christmas present of a pair of Aigle Parcours ISO Neoprene lined wellies. Great job altogether when combined with the Sealskinz socks. During the recent bad weather was feeding a good few drains and standing in freezing bog water up to the calf. Was there for a fair old time and still toastie tootsies !

Would recommend JG to give the Sealskinz a go. Bit of an investment I know but in my opinion worth it .....

Would recommend JG to give the Sealskinz a go. Bit of an investment I know but in my opinion worth it .....

Bought them years ago, when I used to wear those crappy Ecco boots :rolleyes: They didn't do much for me I have to say :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭brianfrancis45

johngalway wrote: »
    Bought them years ago, when I used to wear those crappy Ecco boots :rolleyes: They didn't do much for me I have to say :confused:

Jaysus John your feet must be very prone to cold altogether ....
    Did you wear the Sealskinz liner socks and the outer socks together and the feet still felt cold ?

+1 on the Ecco boots - I had a pair several years ago and found 'em very comfortable but they fell apart on me in no time..... If I remember correctly the rubber soles just disintegrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

treat yourself to a pair of meindl boots you'll never have cold feet again ;)

Jaysus John your feet must be very prone to cold altogether ....
    Did you wear the Sealskinz liner socks and the outer socks together and the feet still felt cold ?

+1 on the Ecco boots - I had a pair several years ago and found 'em very comfortable but they fell apart on me in no time..... If I remember correctly the rubber soles just disintegrated.

Yeah the soles were crap and the uppers cracked and opened when they bent at the toe, but very comfortable as you say. I once tried to return a pair, as they fell apart and was told they were only for hiking in dry climate :D

Doubt I wore a liner sock back then to be honest, but I may have had some sort of sock on under it, can't remember now TBH.
    landkeeper wrote: »

Have a non leather pair I got cheap in TK Maxx when they opened in Galway. I don't use them hunting or farming as I prefer wellies for that, just more waterproof, gaiters tend to be noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

landkeeper wrote: »

+1 to that landkeeper ,my first pair of meindl 's lasted me 12 years of serious use before i had to change them ,for another pair of course :D:D

ian

I think the place to start with keeping out the cold from your feet is with the soles of the boot. They need to be thick, but flexible, and insulate your feet from the cold ground.

• Advertisement

clivej wrote: »
    I think the place to start with keeping out the cold from your feet is with the soles of the boot. They need to be thick, but flexible, and insulate your feet from the cold ground.

That's true. I noticed tonight the difference between the area under my toes warmed by the heat pads versus my heels, once I was stood in the snow for a while. I got my eye on thermal insoles, but can't find them over this side of the Atlantic, $25 for postage is extracting the urine.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Thats fine in a base camp Tack, but I wouldnt fancy walking around a whole pile in them. No way for sweat to be drawn away. Tabs could start rotting :D.
    As for the Sealskinz, I'm surprised they didnt work for ya John. Just makes me grateful that they do work for me!
    Might these be of interest? :confused:
    http://www.my-perfect-present.com/toasty-feet-c-4/toasty-feet-regular-p-4
    They ship free to Ireland too.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

Not sure if they have a good thermal sock but from what ive heard their customer services is second to none, give them a buzz if unsure and they should be able to help you out

https://www.greatoutdoors.ie/index.php?cPath=232_477

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

One last point on the Sealskinz, (then I'll stop pimping them :o),
    I had a pair of older ones about 9 years back, which were a completely different animal. I think they were aimed "solely" at waterproofing.
    The newer ones are MUCH better. So if it was those ones you had, they may be worth another look.
    But, if its the newer ones that don't work for ya, fair nuf.

Advertisement