Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyson stopped working

• 08-01-2009 8:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

My Dyson DC08 has stopped working(4 years old) - just won't turn on. Stopped after being used for about an hour and no won't turn on. Cost €90 to get dyson out to fix so want to do initial check myself but struggling to find details of how to disassemble to check basics like cable, etc..
    Or does anyone know a decent repair guy in Dub?

Any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

you would be mad not to pay the €90! I have the same model and it stopped working late last year. I was going to buy a new dyson @ €320 but spotted the dyson helpline to see if they could help... they said it was out of warrenty but for the €90 i could get any damaged parts replaced.

I spent the €90 and for that, the tech came out to our home, replaced the main motor unit (which was all he needed to do), but he then commented that my main suction head (dirt holder) was blocked, that the floor contact head needed to be replaced and that there was a kink in my hose and slight damage to my power lead.

He replaced all these parts on site (except for the dirt holder - which was sent out to me by post 2 days later).

I basically got a new dyson ALL FOR €90!!! - the only thing that remains orginal is the wheel body! (i added up all the replacements parts i got and they came to €205! not including labour

Brilliant service from dyson and will be using them again.

Spend the €90 - they will replace any parts you want and you will have a-like-new dyson that would suck a melon through a straw again!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Access wrote: »
    you would be mad not to pay the €90! I have the same model and it stopped working late last year. I was going to buy a new dyson @ €320 but spotted the dyson helpline to see if they could help... they said it was out of warrenty but for the €90 i could get any damaged parts replaced.

I spent the €90 and for that, the tech came out to our home, replaced the main motor unit (which was all he needed to do), but he then commented that my main suction head (dirt holder) was blocked, that the floor contact head needed to be replaced and that there was a kink in my hose and slight damage to my power lead.

He replaced all these parts on site (except for the dirt holder - which was sent out to me by post 2 days later).

I basically got a new dyson ALL FOR €90!!! - the only thing that remains orginal is the wheel body! (i added up all the replacements parts i got and they came to €205! not including labour

Brilliant service from dyson and will be using them again.

Spend the €90 - they will replace any parts you want and you will have a-like-new dyson that would suck a melon through a straw again!

Wow - I wasn't aware of this. Nice to know. I've had no problems with mine so far (DC-07 Animal) but if I do I'll certainly be calling the Dyson helpline!

Thanks Access!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

To be fair I had alot of dealings with Dyson before and as companies go they always appeared to be one of the good ones.

If there's nothing at all could it be the fuse simply OP?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I know some vacs (maybe all) cut out if motor gets too hot from running an extended period of time, though they should work as normal again once motor cools.

Still the €90 callout isn't too bad for an expensive appliance. You'd probalby pay the same for a callout to a similarly-priced washing machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 bwg66

Thanks for all replies.

Access, sounds very good as I had checked basics fuse, overheat, etc. Was working on basis that while dyson is good these days you can but another make bagless cleaner for near €100 (in sales) with at least 12mths warranty. Do you know what warranty you got for your €90?

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
    byte

A lot of those bagless cleaners at around 100EUR are not as good, to be honest.

bwg66 wrote: »
    Thanks for all replies.

Access, sounds very good as I had checked basics fuse, overheat, etc. Was working on basis that while dyson is good these days you can but another make bagless cleaner for near €100 (in sales) with at least 12mths warranty. Do you know what warranty you got for your €90?

Thanks again.

4 years! (the warranty starts over again from day of repair i was told) and i also forgot to mention that they replaced the two filters worth €20 each!

The tech did tell me that the motor had just overheated and stopped working due to a airflow restriction in the vacuum chamber (dirt box).

Hmmm.... maybe i shouldn't have vacuumed up all the cold ashes from the fireplace time after time! (lesson now learned!)

In fairness op, you would be mad not to pay the €90... you get a new dyson for the price of it!

I had a lone of another expensive bagless hoover from a neighbour for the few days we had no dyson, and it was not great to be fair.

I would never change from a dyson again, especially with my young kids in the house... carpets always messy!

Helpline contacted Monday(yesterday). Repair man due this wednesday. Will let you know the outcome. They confirmed 12mths warranty on all work and parts relaced so looking good so far.

Dyson arrived, open and fixed. Unbelievable service.

They replaced the motor, main barrell, cable, various hose sections, and have parts on order for us. They fixed things we didn't even know were wrong!!

I wish Dyson made everything.

Seriously we have a virtually new dyson with 12mth guarantee and all for €90 Couldn't ask for more.

Thanks for all the help.

byte

Glad it worked out for you, it does seem that Dyson offer unrivaled after care.

• Advertisement

byte wrote: »
    it does seem that Dyson offer unrivaled after care.

So it would appear from reading this thread!

I've done my time in customer service but, fcuk me, this Dyson shower seem to have it nailed!

Hate to say it... told you so! :D:D:D

Good to see you got it sorted.

I was wrong on the warranty though... i was sure it was 4 years, but i take it as you stated, 12 months it is... but you gotta admit that this is brilliant after sales service!

OTHER COMPANIES TAKE NOTE!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 banana republic

Jeez, I know the Dyson's a good hoover but rarely have I seen such effusiveness about one on a forum. Is this the Dyson Marketing Department thread? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

Dyson provide a great refurbishment service, But most people could spare themselves the cost of using this if they washed their filters every few months.

Dyson provide a great refurbishment service, But most people could spare themselves the cost of using this if they washed their filters every few months.

Agreed - I wash mine every three months or so.

One thing I have noticed is that the Dysons don't like anything too dusty or they clog up quite quickly. By that I mean excessive dust - here's two examples.

1. 18 months ago I did a load of renovation work in the living room. This involved putting up plaster coving. Cutting the coving meant lots of dust. After one use of the Dyson the filter was completely clogged. So I washed it and all was well.

2. I had an extension built last year. Once the builders had finished I obviously vacuumed the house using the Dyson - again the filter bloked halfway through.

Moral of the stories - if you use it for exceptionally dusty conditions expect it to block up and if it doesn't it would be worth your while to wash the filter when your finished. Remember, it's intended for regular use in normal domestic applications - using it for what I've described above is not 'normal'. It's not a problem, tbh, but something that any Dyson owner should bear in mind.

Advertisement