Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Not been a bad weekend for the Irish racing on the roads & seas of France

Excellent result in the Figaro for Tom Dolan

https://afloat.ie/sail/events/la-solitaire-du-figaro/item/47749-fifth-overall-tom-dolan-lifts-vivi-trophy-at-51st-la-solitaire-du-figaro

• Registered Users Posts: 8 colin.d

hi guys just wondering if any knows an rough idea for cruising time from shannon harbour to robertstown. we had our boat on the shannon for the summer and want to bring it home..thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

colin.d wrote: »
    hi guys just wondering if any knows an rough idea for cruising time from shannon harbour to robertstown. we had our boat on the shannon for the summer and want to bring it home..thanks

Ask here : https://www.facebook.com/groups/717182844986491/

thanks but we got it back..we had an injector pipe crack so we parked it up near daingean for the night finished the trip yesterday evening.. for anyone that cares it took about 13 hours

brilliant drive i would recommend it. we had lovely weather which was a bonus.. alot of locks but we had help for about 6 of them

• Advertisement

Looks like sailing for 2020 could be over, cant see this getting any better over the next few weeks to allow competition before Christmas & NY

Howth sailing cancelled and winter events put on ice ;) till a further update
    https://hyc.ie/news/874-end-of-summer-series-claremont-dinghy-series-reluctantly-abandoned

DBSC summer series over with hopes of running winter sailing
    https://afloat.ie/sail/sailing-clubs/dublin-bay-sailing-club-news/item/47964-level-3-restrictions-force-end-of-dbsc-summer-series

and cork
    https://afloat.ie/sail/sailing-clubs/royal-cork-yacht-club/item/47941-royal-cork-cancels-aib-autumn-series-due-to-level-3-covid-guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

NOR was issued for Dun Laoghaire Turkey Shoot today..... I hope it stays (gets) fine for them!

I have cramp from keeping everything crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Van Doozy

Pardon my ignorance - why would DBSC cancel the summer series but then go on to issue NOR for Turkey Shoot?

Van Doozy wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance - why would DBSC cancel the summer series but then go on to issue NOR for Turkey Shoot?
    I'd say they've issued it more in hope than expectation.

They can't really wait till the last minute to issue it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

^^ what Heidi said, more hope than anything else.

Fingers and toes crossed it'll go ahead. :)

• Advertisement

Han Solo heading for DL in preparation for heading off tomorrow to set the first female double-handed round Ireland record.

More power to 'em at this time of year, mid June and fully crewed is hard enough :eek:

I couldn't think of a worse boat to be on at this time of year around Ireland though if it's off the breeze and you don't need to go down below there's probably nothing better to be on. Hope they got a good bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Link to the YB tracker for Han Solo

https://yb.tl/SailingMagentaRoundIreland

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

fenris wrote: »
    Link to the YB tracker for Han Solo

https://yb.tl/SailingMagentaRoundIreland
    Looks like a nice reach across the south coast. Hope the wind changes by the time they round Fastnet though. Nothing worse than a beat up the west coast.

Actually looks like it will:
    https://www.windy.com/?2020-10-14-09,52.978,-6.240,7

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Looks like their going to get a nice fresh breeze on the beam all the way up as far as Donegal.. They should fly up the coast tonight.

Might be on the nose then as they go around the top!!

Crossing Galway bay now at 8pm. Flying it

Not quite a sleigh ride up the west coast (one time I averaged over 18 kts sog in a gale) but not too shabby. Hopefully they make the tide gate at Rathlin. Trip down the Irish sea should be a piece of cake after that.

Like like they're getting spat through the tidal gate nicely, doing 10kts at the moment just north of Rathlin (was 12kts earlier)

looks like they've done teh hard bit alright, and will paste down the coast in a lovely breeze, perhaps finish tonight around 9-10pm...

Following on from the girls who finished during the night.....

Start of the MSR is streaming live now on Facebook.

OMG how I wish I was there!!!! :(

• Advertisement

At least we have today and tomorrow to get down to our boats (that are in the same county, but more than 5km away), and secure/check them for the next few weeks!!!

Time to bring the dehumidifier down and plug it in....

Cancelled for now unfortunately

https://afloat.ie/sail/events/dbsc-turkey-shoot/item/48116-dbsc-turkey-shoot-postponed-but-organisers-keep-hope-for-some-christmas-yacht-racing
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    NOR was issued for Dun Laoghaire Turkey Shoot today..... I hope it stays (gets) fine for them!

I have cramp from keeping everything crossed.

neris wrote: »
    Cancelled for now unfortunately
    Yeah, got the email from Fintan yesterday.
    Gutted.
    It's a great series and a great way to way to spend winter Sunday mornings. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Solo or family group sailing should still be okay if the marina is within 5km of home, I like the idea of getting out on a calm winters day with a flask and lunch, doing whatever calls and meetings need doing in a nice environment.
    Hotspot coverage on the water is very good, I did a good few Zoom meeting afloat, tipping along at about 1.5kt in a nice big loop off Greystones, only got properly busted once when a call came over the VHF about a lad in trouble at the bull wall, my tropical beach background didn't quite hack it :)

I'd often go down and work from the boat a few hours a week.. I've always been home based so it's been fairly easy to do... only trouble now is the Marina is exactly 10km away from me!!

Now if I had a little rubber duck and an outboard, the beach is only 500m away from me....... guaranteed to not meet any checkpoints on the water...

Its a bit of a farce this lockdown. 1st lockdown we were told our club was closed and we couldnt get access to the marina either now not a word about getting access to boats or even going out for a sail. Yesterday under 20 GAA teams thinking they were "elite" sports teams getting ready for games at the weekend, tennis and golf clubs closed down but tennis ireland screamed loud enough so tennis is now allowed.

neris wrote: »
    Its a bit of a farce this lockdown. 1st lockdown we were told our club was closed and we couldnt get access to the marina either now not a word about getting access to boats or even going out for a sail. Yesterday under 20 GAA teams thinking they were "elite" sports teams getting ready for games at the weekend, tennis and golf clubs closed down but tennis ireland screamed loud enough so tennis is now allowed.
    Tennis has been shut down now, including kids coaching which is a disgrace.

If they start making exceptions they'd never get to the end of it.

I can see why they want to keep it simple(ish) - as frustrating as that is for the sports' participants.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Careful now, lest we be told (like the last time) to stay ashore to save the lives of those who save lives. I've a swinging mooring, so I'm ashore since end Sept.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Kids sailing taking place in the Irish next week, access open to changing rooms, deck etc. Zero consistency when compared to previous lockdown.

• Advertisement

The last time we unlocked, when we went from 5/10km to 20km, I got stopped a day or 2 before 20km was allowed while leaving Malahide at a checkpoint.. (we live 10km from Malahide)
    I explained to the Garda that we (3 of us in the car) went to the Marina to check on the boat, and while we were there, had lunch on the boat (we brought a packed lunch with us), and spent about 2 hours there.. I said that we had zero contact with anyone while there, and didn't even touch anything there apart from our own boat.. all she could do was nod in agreement and said fair enough....

I'm not allowed to drive 10km to check on my boat at the Marina, but I'm allowed drive the 63km or so to visit my fathers grave in Shankill!!

Advertisement