Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Specsavers Ireland: sneaky upselling

• 01-12-2017 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭

My father got 2 pairs of glasses in Specsavers GPO Arcade today, €497. Insisted on him taking a second pair as "They were free". Little did he know, nor was it made known to him that the lenses on his unwanted "free pair" cost €174. Disgusting way to treat a 74 year old man. I'm due an eye test and have always used Specsavers, over the years I have spent in excess of €1,500. Not any more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Birneybau wrote: »
    My father got 2 pairs of glasses in Specsavers GPO Arcade today, €497. Insisted on him taking a second pair as "They were free". Little did he know, nor was it made known to him that the lenses on his unwanted "free pair" cost €174. Disgusting way to treat a 74 year old man. I'm due an eye test and have always used Specsavers, over the years I have spent in excess of €1,500. Not any more.

Very dear alright considering you can now claim back on PRSI contributions up to £82 also on optical services. When this budget measure was introduced i said to the other half that the price of specs would go up. Looking at what your father was charged it appears as if they are.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A 74 year old is unlikely to qualify for PRSI but they may easily have a medical card.

I have given up on chain opticians, the franchise ones are often worse than the centrally owned ones but they are all solely about upselling and target-hitting at this stage. Unfortunately its not that easy for many people to use online ones and the smaller ones can often be even dearer even if they are more customer focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

L1011 wrote: »
    A 74 year old is unlikely to qualify for PRSI but they may easily have a medical card.

I have given up on chain opticians, the franchise ones are often worse than the centrally owned ones but they are all solely about upselling and target-hitting at this stage. Unfortunately its not that easy for many people to use online ones and the smaller ones can often be even dearer even if they are more customer focused.

I understand that a 74 year old probably won't qualify, but I was making the point that, whenever a subsidy or grant or benefit is offered here in Ireland the corresponding price on the plus side for the retailer more than likely increases by the same amount. Let's call it Fann Linn's Theorem but it does apply to most Govt initiatives☺

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

There are a number of different deals and combinations and exclusions, it's hard to get your head around it. I presume OP father, being over 70 has a medical card. The basic glasses should be free, but it's all the add ons that drive up the cost. I have a medical card, earlier in the year I picked out my frames online, and resisted the upselling. I got my driving and reading glasses free. Granted they're not fancy, but more than adequate. Some people might need anti glare, scratch coating, etc. My glasses are the basics, but that's all I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭millie35

I would ring them and complain as your Father was told they were free which obviously was not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Folks, o.p. here.

The issue is that the assistant insisted (say that three times fast) that his second pair were FREE, so he thought he was getting a free spare pair (that he didn't want but hey, they were free) without informing him that the lenses in his FREE pair cost €174.

They literally said "Sure, you might as well". I'm dropping in tomorrow.

millie35 wrote: »
    I would ring them and complain as your Father was told they were free which obviously was not the case.

Thanks for getting what I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I don't blame you for being annoyed, who wouldn't say yes to that. I hope you get a good outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I'd ring the manager and complain very seriously that your father was told the pair was free and as they weren't free they will be returned for a refund (if he wants that).

They can't scam elderly people like that by confusing them into misunderstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Second Yellow

I'd ring the manager and complain very seriously that your father was told the pair was free and as they weren't free they will be returned for a refund (if he wants that).

They can't scam elderly people like that by confusing them into misunderstanding.

I would do this. They probably won't want the hassle of you telling everyone you know if they don't back down.

• Advertisement

They backed down after I Tweeted and Facebooked them. My father had to ring them himself. He's taking 1 pair of glasses and having €24 in cash returned to him, he had only paid half the €497 as he had no idea the bill would go that high. Glad of the result. I shan't be using them again myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

They are notorious for that. You might as well get the second pair, and the pressure you get put under when you give them your older frames to put the new prescription. Oh you need a change from those ones, these others suit you so much better. I don't go in without a friend anymore. And the second pair are never really free. It just means the first pair were double the price they should have been. And don't dare insult them by saying you don't need a free hearing test !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

What makes you think a 74 yr old would not qualify for PRSI?
    I would think the vast majority do and would be able to claim optical and dental benefit.
    On the main issue, I think the second pair would be free for non varifocal or bifocal however they do not explain this at all in my experience. I imagine the sales staff are on commission and imho are not “up front” with additional charges on second pair.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    They are notorious for that. You might as well get the second pair, and the pressure you get put under when you give them your older frames to put the new prescription. Oh you need a change from those ones, these others suit you so much better. I don't go in without a friend anymore. And the second pair are never really free. It just means the first pair were double the price they should have been. And don't dare insult them by saying you don't need a free hearing test !

What did you say??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

They tried that with me the last time I was in. Oh you can get a second pair for free or even better a pair of sunglasses for 50 Euro. I pointed out that I’d still have to pay 130 Euro for the ultra thin lenses because my eyesight is so bad. Oh, you could get the sunglasses without prescription lenses as well for 50 Euro they said ... erm what good are sunglasses if I can’t see anything I said (I don’t wear contacts). Of course that started off a whole contacts upsell. If you don’t know your stuff in there you can get seriously taken for a ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

They are absolute chancers with this "free" pair. I am -6.50 in both eyes do have to get ultra thin lenses which cost at least 150....then they try to talk you into the second pair to get you to pay again for thin lenses!!
    Last time I played them at their own game and told them I would forgo by "free" frames and could they give me that amount off the lenses of the one pair I wanted! Ended up just laying for one pair and got a big discount off the lenses. But I had been burned by them before to the tune of about 600.....they are terrible and you have to have your wits about you agreeing to anything in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Folks, o.p. here.

The issue is that the assistant insisted (say that three times fast) that his second pair were FREE, so he thought he was getting a free spare pair (that he didn't want but hey, they were free) without informing him that the lenses in his FREE pair cost €174.

I assume you father has a medical card.
    If so, he is entitled to free new glasses every 2 years.
    However, the frames for the free glasses are limited, if you want nice/designer frames you will have to pay for them.
    If you think he has been subject to suspect selling by a member of staff in Specsavers then you and he need to go in there and see the manager to discuss it.
    You can escalate your complaint from there.

Here’s the 411 on Treatment Benefit
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/treatment_benefit_scheme.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭billyhead

Why don't you all use the same frames when you need to change your lenses. I have the same frames the last 8 years and if my eyesight worsens just get new lenses placed into the frames even though I am always encouraged to get new frames by the merchandiser. To Reglaze your frames and get anti glare lenses only costs around €90 compared to about €200 for new frames and lenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

billyhead wrote: »
    Why don't you all use the same frames when you need to change your lenses. I have the same frames the last 8 years and if my eyesight worsens just get new lenses placed into the frames even though I am always encouraged to get new frames by the merchandiser. To Reglaze your frames and get anti glare lenses only costs around €90 compared to about €200 for new frames and lenses.

In my case, I change glasses because the frames are in need of replacement, the prescription rarely changes, but the frames become tattered after a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

billyhead wrote: »

Well I can’t see without my glasses so a week without them isn’t an option. Plus, I like getting new glasses. It’s like getting a new haircut or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I am around -10 on both eyes so requires the maximum reduction. Always gone to Specsavers. I have gotten the 2nd pair free before I just ask them not to do any thinning on the 2nd pair.

The last time I got them I didn't need the 2nd pair so they offered money off to forego the free pair.

It sounds like the assistant was underhand here but my experience with them has been very good generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Postgrad10 wrote: »

What did you say??

Told them quite ademently that I had just had a private health check up in the mater which included my eyes and ears and I didn't have time. The assistant was so cross with me. I think they must have a quota to fill.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Folks, o.p. here.

I assume you father has a medical card.
    If so, he is entitled to free new glasses every 2 years.
    However, the frames for the free glasses are limited, if you want nice/designer frames you will have to pay for them.
    If you think he has been subject to suspect selling by a member of staff in Specsavers then you and he need to go in there and see the manager to discuss it.
    You can escalate your complaint from there.

Guess you missed the post where I spoke about the results we got.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Glasses in this country are a scam. I use zennioptical.com. My last order were titanium memory frames with extra thin lenses and anti glare/anti scratch/oil and fingerprint resistant coating. Came with 3 pairs of clip on shades. $91 including postage. Quality is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

How easy is it just to get a script in specsavers or is better to go to an independent one? I wanna get a script and buy glasses on line but not into awkwardness at specsavers when I just want an eye test and script

Guess you missed the post where I spoke about the results we got.

But he was entitled to a free pair of glasses if he has (I assume) a medical card. I’ve no idea how he ended up paying anything at all for his new pair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

splinter65 wrote: »
    But he was entitled to a free pair of glasses if he has (I assume) a medical card. I’ve no idea how he ended up paying anything at all for his new pair

Only very basic frames. The Department will only pay €42 towards the overall cost of the spectacles and you pay the balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

Don't want to use specsavers but do they have better technology than independents to detect diseases of the eye?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Don't want to use specsavers but do they have better technology than independents to detect diseases of the eye?

Unlikely.

Advertisement