Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kryptonite lock replacement key

• 31-01-2012 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

The key for my Kryptonite evolution is starting to wear out and has been giving me grief the past few days - it wouldn't open the lock at all today. I can order a new key off Kryptonite.com, an American site, but I was wondering if there is a local distributor in Ireland who can cut a new one for me?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Id love to hear about this too. Ive two such locks at home which are not being used as im down to 1 key and dont want the hassle of losing it and having to angle grind the bike free!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I ordered from the US site, there was a German one but they do not do it anymore. Get the code from the key and place the order online. Worked out about 2 or 3 dollars per key and 6 dollars postage regardless of the number of keys. I think I paid about 12 euro at the time for 3 keys.

Well worth doing. Even better you can just register your key number, and then only order the key of you lose it at a later date.

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Pages/KeyRegistration.aspx

Apparently they will replace the keys for some models FOC for the first 2. Don't know if that works here.

Personally I just saved the codes in a notebook and if they ever go missing then I'll order again.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

I got two new keys free of charge for my Kryptonite mini just before Christmas; I sent an email to letters@irco.com, giving the code and where I bought it. Got a package from the US with the keys a couple of weeks later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I have recently purchased a Kryptonite Evolution Series 4. Very happy with it until today. I didn't insert the key fully before turning it. Realising what I did I tried again but it took me a while to get it to unlock. I guess I moved part of the locking mechanism out of place the first time I tried to open it.
    I will be more careful in the future but it got me searching and I found many horror stories about the quality of the key.
    Should I be worried? Will the lock eventually fail to open leaving me stranded? :eek:

tuxy wrote: »
    Should I be worried? Will the lock eventually fail to open leaving me stranded? :eek:

Started to happen to me, I presume because it was left out a bit, blasted it with TF2 and its worked perfect ever since.

I respray it every few months but no other issues, some of the keys do deform with too much force but if you have to apply that much, its either stiffened already or you haven't inserted it fully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Too lazy to check but I'm fairly sure I got free keys from them. They supply the first set free. Just send a mail with the code. Easypeasy. You're unlikely to find a key cutter that can cut one for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

I asked my local bike shop if they could get me a set cut (they're a good shop, and sell Kryptonite). They contacted the supplier in the UK to be told that you can only get spare keys through the Kryptonite website.

I've been in touch with them by email, and like @dited my lock (Evolution Mini) is covered by their key protect program, and I am entitled to two free keys (free postage as well by the look of it) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I was able to order spare ABUS keys through CycleSuperstore recently.

The lock was a basic chain and the new key cost about a tenner at most. However, the key did not quite fit, so don't forget to bring the lock along with you to make sure everything is okay the first time. I had to go back to the shop and get them to file it a bit to get it to work properly.

Guys, just to let you know that two free keys arrived in the post this morning, all the way from America - I only ordered them a week ago. Fair play to Kryptonite!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

The website keeps looking for a Zip code for the address and won't accept the Irish eircode in any format?

At the time (2012), I sent an email to letters@irco.com. I've no idea if this email is still valid.

bothyhead wrote: »
    At the time (2012), I sent an email to letters@irco.com. I've no idea if this email is still valid.

No - its no longer valid - thanks.

Impossible to contact even through their direct "contact us" system

Impossible to contact even through their direct "contact us" system

Put in a random US post code and correct it in the description

Advertisement