Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Umbrella Academy [Netflix] [**SPOILERS**]

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,969 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Wonder if the extra 22% they will have to pay him now have an impact on the financial viability of the show

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,799 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The question now is will Elliot be undergoing any hormone treatment and/or surgery which will have an impact on how Vanya will look and sound next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Cast and character details for the new group in season 3
    https://tvline.com/2021/01/11/the-umbrella-academy-season-3-sparrows-casting/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

ixoy wrote: »
    Just after finishing the second season which we really enjoyed. Characters were more tightly written and the plot gelled better. Seems like the writers had a good bit of fun in it, with some strong comedy moments.
    Yeah, great story, well told with lots of fun, but with plenty of intrigue, danger and the right dose of violence. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Filming for Season 3 has wrapped BTW; one of those "just before CoVid" shows I had completely forgotten about 'til I read the news today. I wonder will Vanya's character reflect Elliot Page's transition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I was going to start watching this watching this.

Is there a season 3 on the way?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Coulson answered that 3 minutes before you asked 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Thanks.

I was worried about spoilers so just ent straight to the text box.

Strange coincidence

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Javon Walton is joining

• Advertisement

For anyone wondering what's happening with Vanya since she's played by Elliot Page

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Looking forward to it; season 2 was a better run so hopefully they keep up the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

All 10 Episodes Dropping Tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Hmm, turns out I forgot a lot of season 2.

Season 3 dropped today.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,216 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Man I really should have rewatched season 2. Watched the first 3 episodes yesterday and had to pause a few times and Google who some of the supporting characters were as I wasn't sure if I was supposed to know who they were or if they were new characters.

Edit: Yeah, I should have watched that recap video a few posts up. Would recommend for anyone about to jump in to the new season.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I thought it was complete cringe how they did the 'transformation' tbh, Page is an actor, paid to adapt to whatever the role demands - really don't like that they changed a whole character just to suit an actor's personal life. Vanya wasn't Ellen, Viktor won't be Eliot, this is not his personal pedestal, it's a fictional character in a fantasy series ffs .... nothing againt his personal story whatsoever, I think it's great that he's found happiness - but keep it off screen

• Registered Users Posts: 33,216 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I thought it was handled really well. I liked how it was actually dealt with pretty quickly, everyone accepted it, and they all just moved on from it. I also think there would have been something of an unnecessary cruelty in making Page who comes out as a trans man (undergoing transition surgeries and likely medications (testosterone etc) and someone who has expressed how happy that they can finally be who they are), have to dress and look like a woman and be referred to as a woman throughout filming. And for what? Aside from those first few episodes where they deal with Vanya becoming Viktor, it makes no difference after that as the core of the character is the exact same. So why not use the transition as part of the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I think if they had cast another similar actress viewers would have got over it just as quick tbh, I just don't think any actor should be bigger than the series. I see your point though, and it's not bothering me enough to stop watching [just past ep-2] - Vanya wasn't even close to being one of my favorites either way [Klaus and #5 being the most entertaining for me]

Overall I'm not sure what to make of this season yet, I'm not drawn to any of the new characters and my pea-brain is confused as to wtf is going on half the time lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Did the budget get cut? The rooftop workout scene seemed terrible CGI

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,799 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Wouldn't say it was cut but Covid precautions and testing probably ate into the budget more than what was expected.

3.1: Quality resuming from the end of season two and introducing the new characters, changes and what looks to be a bigger story.

I'm guessing the big story is this ball of energy in the basement. If I was guessing it's a "merge the two timelines" ball or something like that.. so either it's gonna start wiping people out or maybe destroy everything. Wierd though.. I'd have assumed it would be something Five would know about.

I'm also guessing this Dude on the Bus.. Cylon Number Two from Battlestar Gallactica to give him (Callum Keith Rennie) a number 🙂.. might be Harlan Cooper .. the boy from season two. I wonder are the bags of numbered sandwiches for each day he travels or if he's supposed to give them to the Umbrellas.

Funniest moment had to be Diegos face when he saw his son! 😁

The only fault I noticed was in the computer effects each time

Marcus was doing his push ups on top of the building. The first time.. the effects looked dodgy on his backflip and landing. Only his face didn't look computery. The second time with Vanya down in the crowd... the whole crowd was obviously computer generated. There were easy to spot copy and pastes of the same people.. and like sometimes right beside each other

I was 25 mins in before I remembered @Penn's warning about needing a recap.

That recap posted earlier is really good. It's direct, to the point and fits 2 seasons into about 10 mins:

I totally forgot the father wasn't human.

3.2: Hold on just one second. Is it really clear that..

all the mothers died.. I'm wondering if Luther and Sloan might be from the same mother. Maybe not. Feels like something this show might pull on Luther though. Especially this early on.

Aside from that.. sure enough, looks like this energy orb is doing some kind of wiping out.. just not sure how much. After five called it a grandfather paradox, I'm leaning towards all things currently in existence getting wiped.

3.3: Ah! I knew it! Awe this show is just SO bingeable!

That was Harlan! One of the scenes had him surrounded by ice on the fire escape .. I wonder if he had anything to do with the Time Comission ice age.

Also the orb and paradox progressing..

Good to see Allison use her rumour power during the battle but it's wierd she didn't try use it more than just that one time earlier.

Stanley with the molotov was hilarious!

This whole Sloane / Luther thing feels very setup for something... something.. the idea of them being from the same mother is still in my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

The show's never been perfect. I'd think it's been riddled with issues, but it's always been an enjoyable show.

S3 nailed what the show does well, but it's weaknesses were really amplified too.

Some really big plot contrivances, whereby a level-headed conversation could have resolved so many issues, or at least enabled some focus on what needed to be done, it just felt for the sake of it. The Sparrows were completely undeveloped, and ultimately inconsequential.

It's like the finish line was set-up, and regardless of the conflicts that became apparent throughout the show, we were always heading for that same conclusion.

Some individual journeys were interesting.

I think Klaus had some great developments, but the full implications of it were never fully realised.

I really like Diego, but his story again was a bit meh, there was a weird bait and switch between himself, Lila and Stan, but it was plainly contrived, and even addressed as such after the first visit to Oblivion.

Allison & Viktor's relationship is probably one of the main driver's of the season, and while it influenced the surrounding relationships, it didn't really impact the biggest decisions that were made.

Luthor provides the best heart, he's just good fun to watch, but towards the end of the season, I felt it wear a bit thin.

Five is still probably the MVP.

Also, and this happens in Stranger Things too, but I never understand why when a character expresses something bizarre happening that everyone is so skeptical of them, as if it's daft. Given the universe on display, you'd think it would warrant listening to them for a bit more info.

Anyway, enjoyable season from a character POV, but plotwise felt it was a bit false, and the finale was very underwhelming.

I'll still tune in for S4, but not looking forward to that standard trope that every "special powers" show feels they need to implement after running for a few seasons...

Advertisement