Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Nice one Cidey... it's a proud day for the Parish... bout time.... I just bought an Astro this week. yikes when two Candy Cabs become one lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    This is the molex connector thingy I need to connect to.
    Any links to where I can get this, with the loom pre-wired so I can just connect up the buttons, throw up a link!
    azpwBrhl.jpg

I might have the connector if that's any good, not wired or anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I might have the connector if that's any good, not wired or anything.

That could be a thing I would want!
    Send me a PayPal address and I'll send money and postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

That could be a thing I would want!
    Send me a PayPal address and I'll send money and postage.

Let me have a look and make sure I have some. No charge, just collect or cover postage. Will let you know later if I have him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Cool. I flicked through it but thought it was more about the pi image only.

If you ever get around to uploading your card image id gladly take a copy.

Your PM mailbox is full sir should you want info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I buy those Molex connectors on ebay and crimp/solder the cables to them, I believe that size is the larger one (Standard .093")

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I buy those Molex connectors on ebay and crimp/solder the cables to them, I believe that size is the larger one (Standard .093")

Don't know how to solder!
    If you could link me with the right connector I'll fire ahead....

But...

Seeing as all I am doing is connecting to a Chinese made board which hooks into the RPi, it might be as easy just to directly connect to that, skip the Jamma connector and reduce the number of connections needed.
    Of course, it'll probably take me another 2 years to get that done!

Sorry just realised the ones I use are slightly different, If it was me I'd just swap them out for these standard 12way molex conenctors that are readily available, I've them on my cabs so I can swap out control panels easily as I've 2 panels for my cab.
    you can crimp them if you've a crimper. I just can't find my crimper so sometimes solder them

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/MOLEX-connector-set-Standard-093-12-way-12-circuit-PANEL-MOUNT/300775548089?hash=item46079ea4b9:g:SMkAAOxyni9TBSOE

Sorry just realised the ones I use are slightly different, If it was me I'd just swap them out for these standard 12way molex conenctors that are readily available, I've them on my cabs so I can swap out control panels easily as I've 2 panels for my cab.
    you can crimp them if you've a crimper. I just can't find my crimper so sometimes solder them

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/MOLEX-connector-set-Standard-093-12-way-12-circuit-PANEL-MOUNT/300775548089?hash=item46079ea4b9:g:SMkAAOxyni9TBSOE

Don't have a crimper

2074094613970fa21b42004987abbb56.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Don't have a crimper

2074094613970fa21b42004987abbb56.jpg

Don't need to use a crimper for them, I've soldered and then clamped with a pliers

• Advertisement

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Don't need to use a crimper for them, I've soldered and then clamped with a pliers

I don't solder.

I mean, I could try but inevitably end up with
    • Burnt fingers
    • Broken equipment
    • End of civilisation as we know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,400 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A two player control panel? I don't believe it! :D

Where did you manage to source that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

o1s1n wrote: »
    A two player control panel? I don't believe it! :D

Where did you manage to source that?

Ah he sourced it agesssss ago! Just took an age to get around to installing it!

Turns out it was a year ago from Mozie, I drove down, picked it up, and the insect population of my gamesroom had a good 12 months of fun with it before it was fitted.
    But don't be too sad, now they have the 1 player control panel to enjoy!
    Unless there's an untapped market for a 1 player Atomiswave SD cab control panel that I was hitherto unaware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Might be of interest to some.

40ft container full of candy from Japan on their way to the UK. Taking reservations!

https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=38682

Might be of interest to some.

40ft container full of candy from Japan on their way to the UK. Taking reservations!

https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=38682

£850 is a good price for an egret2, all reserved now though

Master of the Universe

Not sure if anyone has seen these, but I was browsing a random display hardware board yesterday and saw a couple of photos of those Neo Geo tables that look like copying machines. Last time I read about them there were only photos of the fliers (and they were drawings at that) - people assumed they were never actually manufactured. Looks like they were!

9110e390272b70e08d7a7747ebc84232eb9549a5_1_690x388.jpg
    c474c3faa0e267e2ca5edf89392042b835430305.jpg

Also found this :D

b9a3c5dcbc7bb12b64bf2cf7bd09447374f604c4.jpg

Playing a few rounds on Kerbdogs converted Dinoking cab this evening.
    They are still a marvel.
    Tried out the Pandora 6 box on one, nice for the money, catalogue is odd though, just kinda jumbled in not by system or year but by genre.
    Also no way to curate and produce a custom list either.
    Otherwise it played the likes of Progear and In the Hunt with no slowdown, so scoring ahead of an RPi3 there!

Not sure if anyone has seen these, but I was browsing a random display hardware board yesterday and saw a couple of photos of those Neo Geo tables that look like copying machines. Last time I read about them there were only photos of the fliers (and they were drawings at that) - people assumed they were never actually manufactured. Looks like they were!

9110e390272b70e08d7a7747ebc84232eb9549a5_1_690x388.jpg
    c474c3faa0e267e2ca5edf89392042b835430305.jpg

Also found this :D

b9a3c5dcbc7bb12b64bf2cf7bd09447374f604c4.jpg
    Nice laundrette with photocopy option while you wait

Master of the Universe

Just looking through some of my older photobucket photos, check out some of the mad crap I used to do.

Jamma PCB to supergun to scaler to slg3000 to get scanlines on an LCD monitor in a table.

IMG_0424_zps4f606862.jpg

IMG_0426_zpsa09f55d4.jpg

Also...feck I miss my Aero :(

DSC_0977_zpsajzkoara.jpg

And at one point, apparently I had an Arcade Otaku ashtray?? haven't seen that in years!

[IMG][/img]DSC_0996_zpsqzftbtib.jpg

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Last week I decided to try something I've been meaning to do for ages, to remove the protective film over both the blue lines with 'candy' chromed onto then running up each side of the SNK Cab.

The cab is minty but the film has seen better days, had a lot of scratches and knocks.

Started off low enough and it's all coming off in one piece, going to be easy pasy!

IMG-20181007-150858452.jpg

I try to do the same at the top part where it says candy...

IMG-20181007-150317322.jpg
    IMG-20181007-150330116.jpg

Nope! Absolute mess. Apparently 30+ year old protective film is not be messed with. Wherever the chrome hits the blue the plastic cover snaps immediately. Couldnt get it to remove at all, disaster!

To make it even more frustrating, you can see how mint and fresh the chrome is under the label. I thought those lines running down the letters were scratches the whole way through, but they're not at all, it was just on the film.

IMG-20181007-150419773.jpg

No idea what to do, I decide to try and buy some Goo Gone. I've been reading the Yanks going on about it for over a decade when it comes to getting labels and gunk off carts, so had to be worth a shot.

To say the stuff works is an understatement. It's absolutely amazing. It still took me an age to scrape off over each letter, but the key thing being - the film was actually coming off! Check out the difference between the letters 'CA' that have the film removed with the rest where the film still hasn't come off.

IMG-20181012-201842909.jpg

Took me an hour to do each side. Pic doesn't really show it off, but the chrome and blue strips now don't have a single blemish. The chrome is incredibly reflective.

IMG-20181012-204214914.jpg

Actually used the Goo Gone on the control panel too and it gave it a nice shine.

So yeah, Goo Gone, should have imported some years ago.

My 2p6b loom arrived in work this morning,
    At last my cab should be fully wired and ready to go this evening, we shall see.
    It'll be Robotron until the early morning light!

I have to drop ducklings off to my brother-in-law's apartment first though....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I've seen tons of Americans on youtube go on about googone and how amazing it is.

Master of the Universe

My 2p6b loom arrived in work this morning,
    At last my cab should be fully wired and ready to go this evening, we shall see.
    It'll be Robotron until the early morning light!

I have to drop ducklings off to my brother-in-law's apartment first though....

Nice! That's a long time coming. Any idea if a kick harness runs through that molex connector or would you have to wire those buttons separately?
    I've seen tons of Americans on youtube go on about googone and how amazing it is.

I can't get over how good it is. The chrome on my control panel has never been so shiny too. You can see yourself in all of the surfaces like a mirror. Before they were reflective, but it was blurry and distorted.

It's apparently just citrus so doesn't have any harmful or corrosive chemicals in it. Smells lovely :D

Nice! That's a long time coming. Any idea if a kick harness runs through that molex connector or would you have to wire those buttons separately?

Don't quite know, I think it all runs through the connector.
    We shall see later on!

In my Atomiswave I had to pick up buttons 4 and 5 from the jamma edge. 6 is in a separate connector nearby.

Master of the Universe

Interesting, where on the jamma edge did you take buttons 4&5? I thought jamma only supported 4 buttons? (Usually you'd be using a kick harness for the extra ones that would go straight to the PCB)

I'll have to check but the Atomiswave has buttons 4 and 5 on unused pins.
    25 and 26 from memory.

I'll send a pic of my setup later.

You're right though, for the likes of street fighter and mortal kombat only send buttons 1-3 on the jamma edge.
    The Atomiswave additionally send buttons 4-6 through that big molex on cideys new two player harness.
    buttons 4 and 5 are picked up on the jamma edge and the kck harness connects to this and the game pcb in question. SImiliar for button 6 but it appears in a different connector

Actually found a pic of my setup.

IMAG0500.jpg

On the left of the jamma fingerboard you'll see red, green, orange and grey wires. they are buttons 4 and 5 for player 1 and 2. The white wires are ground. Over on the right you see the blue and black wire. That's getting button 6 for player 1 and 2.
    All those wires meet in the molex connector in the bottom left. This is a custom solution kick harness.

If need a kick harness I get the kick harness required for the board, leave the pcb end alone, lop off the other end and replace with a molex connector that fits that the one in the pic.

Make sense?!!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Do I spy a FrancoB jamma fingerboard with a -5v Negatron? :D

That's a really handy solution, so everything between the control panel wiring and the molex connector doesn't have to be touched, even when changing kick harnesses etc. You just plug the CPS1/2 kick harness into one side of the molex.

Advertisement