Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Callum - Thursday/Friday 11/12 October 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sevenshades

Extremely heavy rain here just outside Waterford city, sky looks like dusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I still can't get my head around 20mm of rain in an hour. If I don't have a 2nd semi retired weather station that gave the same reading I'd have assumed it was a malfunction.

(and what's more I didn't hear a thing!)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Fairly rough here on the NW Donegal coast, haven't got any measurements but I'd guess sustained force 8, bordering on 9 with some nice big gusts.

Might go for a drive to the cliffs if I get the chance in an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

DOCARCH wrote: »
    :eek: That's 189 km/h

I well believe it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Max gust of 87km/h at my Waterford City station and 98km/h in Tramore.
    Heavy rain now

www.waterfordweather.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Getting very wild in mid-kildare here the last few minutes, about the same as it was around 3-4am :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Previously in my North sea years, the worst recorded was gusts of 124mph so yes this storm is my personal worst....

Thank you!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a windy night here in South Meath, but gentle compared to Storm Ali which was far more severe in this area. No sign of any large branches down in the area, a few bins over turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Graces7 wrote: »
    Previously in my North sea years, the worst recorded was gusts of 124mph so yes this storm is my personal worst....

Thank you!

The storm passed up west of us,there were no winds near that strength recorded on land

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Not a mention of this by Met dude on Sean O'Rourke show just now.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I didn't actually notice a thing in my specific area of Dublin 18, was just like any normal winters night. I think the wind direction spared us.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think it is right. Got data here

Looking at it again the two highest gusts are at nearly the opposite directions from the other readings. Is that a sign that they may be incorrect?

No the general direction is 190° there are a few at 10° but that's probably the anemometer swinging around after a gust.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

vicwatson wrote: »
    Not a mention of this by Met dude on Sean O'Rourke show just now.

Well it is in the open sea/ocean. Nobody will have experienced it....other than the buoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Well it is in the open sea/ocean. Nobody will have experienced it....other than the buoy!

That buoy must be tough, 10mi west of Eagle.
    That lighthouse was in the RTE Lighthouses programme recently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Very wild night here. Electricity,phone and broadband all knocked out, only restored in the last 45 minutes or so. A lot of debris on the ground but no major damage done. Heavy bursts of rain from time to time.

And?

They are the MET service after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 martyfurey

I think it is right. Got data here

Looking at it again the two highest gusts are at nearly the opposite directions from the other readings. Is that a sign that they may be incorrect?

To be honest I'm not sure. They seem like crazy wind speeds.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

vicwatson wrote: »
    And?

They are the MET service after all.

The buoys are nothing to do with the Met Service.

In any event, with buoys, sometimes wind reports can be skewed by the position of the buoy on the crest of a wave/swell, or in a trough between the wave/swell, and the wind travelling over/being modified by the waves. As the buoy is not fixed, the wind instrument is not fixed, and, as the buoy is on a couple of metres high, the wind instrument would not be at 'regulation' height.

So while the buoy wind reports are obviously of (great) interest, there are a number of reasons why the Met Service do not (widely) report them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Here are the data for WT2 buoy, 16 km offshore. Highest mean speed was 72 knots, highest gust 102 knots twice within an hour.

463640.PNG

Gust of 67 kts/124 km/h at Belmullet in 1100 reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Peatys wrote: »
    I was going by this post.. he seemed to know what he was talking about..

463629.jpg

Glad to see now it was outdated info.. wasn't looking forward to worse than last night coming.

In fairness, it wasn't that the timings were outdated, it was just that the models were ever so slightly off in regards to the peak intensity, for Dublin.

I would argue it didn't peak at 2am though, at least not the entire city - I didn't go to bed until 4am, and it was definitely at its worst here in Dublin 7 at that time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

winds have eased a lot here now but the rain is very heavy and it's very dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Meh, seems to have peaked an hour ago here in Donegal, still windy but all-in-all a bog standard gale that'll be repeated several times over the coming months. Getting increasingly tired of the hype and hysteria around these events

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

MJohnston wrote: »
    In fairness, it wasn't that the timings were outdated, it was just that the models were ever so slightly off in regards to the peak intensity, for Dublin.

I would argue it didn't peak at 2am though, at least not the entire city - I didn't go to bed until 4am, and it was definitely at its worst here in Dublin 7 at that time.

I agree, Dublin was calm at 2am, at 4am it picked up but wasn't anything we haven't seen before. This kind of weather 10 years ago wouldn't of raised an eyebrow.

We are over sensitive now and the new warning system is a bit OTT

We are over sensitive now and the new warning system is a bit OTT

I think the nationwide red warning for Ophelia f**ked everybody up! :)

Much calmer now in Dublin (16) with moderate rain. Almost 4mm in the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I think the nationwide red warning for Ophelia f**ked everybody up! :)

Much calmer now in Dublin (16) with moderate rain. Almost 4mm in the last hour.

I think the media f**ked it all up and then the people who wants everyone to make their decision for them, eg should i go out for walk!

Look out the damn window and decide yourself:D

Met can't decide for you.

The buoys are nothing to do with the Met Service.

In any event, with buoys, sometimes wind reports can be skewed by the position of the buoy on the crest of a wave/swell, or in a trough between the wave/swell, and the wind travelling over/being modified by the waves. As the buoy is not fixed, the wind instrument is not fixed, and, as the buoy is on a couple of metres high, the wind instrument would not be at 'regulation' height.

So while the buoy wind reports are obviously of (great) interest, there are a number of reasons why the Met Service do not (widely) report them.

So why do they give the buoy data on met.ie? I understand the science behind the buoys ad wind reports btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

I like to use this site .

http://www.marine.ie/Home/site-area/data-services/real-time-observations/irish-weather-buoy-network

I find it handy for quick and easy to read observations of current conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

How can you tell what the max gust was at a particular Met station (e.g. Roches Point) during a 24 hour period?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

How can you tell what the max gust was at a particular Met station (e.g. Roches Point) during a 24 hour period?

Met Éireann tweets them out.

Met Éireann's daily data.

Met Éireann's historical data.

Ogimet synop reports.

That's how I find them out anyway.

Advertisement