Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Graces7 wrote: »
    Ran this past family in Canada who just laughed and that this happens all the time over there..

I mentioned Tiny Homes?

See

http://www.tinyhomes.ie/

https://selfbuild.ie/advice/tiny-homes/

Tiny homes are one thing, but throwing a roof over the side entrance of your house and calling it a home is a completely different thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭ShaneC93

Ran this past family in Canada who just laughed and that this happens all the time over there..

I mentioned Tiny Homes?

See

I don't actually think 'tiny homes' as a concept is that bad - as long as they aren't a literal shed and meet all the housing / rental requirements, it really just means a prefab / modular house that is on the smaller side. The tiny homes 'movement' is meant to show that you don't need a 1/2 bed expensive house to live happily.

In quite a few large European cities, most of the population rents long-term rather than ever saving for their own house, in Ireland the opposite is true but one way we could go in future is that the younger generations save for / buy smaller houses and then live there while saving to afford a house to raise a family in. The mortgage on a 40-45sq.m 'tiny house' would be a fraction of what you'd pay to rent a place in Dublin right now.

This is a 45sq.m (min size for a 1-bed in Ireland) 'tiny house' by a Canadian company that I wouldn't mind living in. Nice interior styling and at <€90K would actually be affordable to people in their early 20s.

ebeneyo-29.jpg

ebeneyo-30.jpg

ebeneyo-38.jpg

ebeneyo-13.jpg

Ireland just has problems with studios getting a bad name because every studio here seems to be created when a landlord has a spare room with just enough space to squeze a bed and kitchen in with the bed facing the microwave which is stacked on top of the TV which are blocking the oven.. That shouldn't be the case, in other cities, studios are a very practical while cheaper way to live, perfect for the younger generations & students who don't have any children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

ShaneC93 wrote: »
    I wonder how long it will be until the landlord decides to stick it up on Daft instead.

If it does go up on daft it would have to meet regs whereby the BER is listed in the advert. That place won't get a BER rating, so its clearly illegal and would quite quickly be removed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I mentioned Tiny Homes?

See

From your link :

Typically around 16 to 40 square metres in floor area these mini houses are insulated to near zero energy standards; are complete homes; are quick to build in sustainable materials; have LED lighting; cost virtually nothing to heat; and are double-glazed. They’re also cheap to build, at about £1,100 / €1,250 per square metre plus VAT; are frequently off-grid; and are designed to last a lifetime.

None of that applies to throwing a corrugated iron roof over a side passage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Kamili wrote: »
    If it does go up on daft it would have to meet regs whereby the BER is listed in the advert. That place won't get a BER rating, so its clearly illegal and would quite quickly be removed.

Whats the BER rating for outside? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Shenshen wrote: »
    From your link :

Typically around 16 to 40 square metres in floor area these mini houses are insulated to near zero energy standards; are complete homes; are quick to build in sustainable materials; have LED lighting; cost virtually nothing to heat; and are double-glazed. They’re also cheap to build, at about £1,100 / €1,250 per square metre plus VAT; are frequently off-grid; and are designed to last a lifetime.

i hear you; what I was meaning was a cheap copy of a good idea.. If you google images "tiny homes" I think you will see what I mean. Mimicry. ( working on a very dodgy internet connection)

They are the rage in the US and some are as shoddy as this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,891 ✭✭✭thesandeman

This ad popped up as I was browsing another thread. It was gone after I took the screenshot so I couldn't find it again.
    But anyway it's got all the mod cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Shenshen wrote: »

ah ah, (marine possibly, but I doubt) ply roof.

This ad popped up as I was browsing another thread. It was gone after I took the screenshot so I couldn't find it again.
    But anyway it's got all the mod cons.

Doesn't look that bad compared to the shed and some other things on here. €950 is fairly steep for one room but at least it's a nice house. Another Spotahome property checked by Veronica too.

https://www.spotahome.com/dublin/for-rent:rooms/157142

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭BandMember

Kamili wrote: »

Plenty of illegal places and places without a BER Rating have been up on Daft before, only ever been removed when places like this thread pointed them out and Daft/LL got some flak over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Doesn't look that bad compared to the shed and some other things on here. €950 is fairly steep for one room but at least it's a nice house. Another Spotahome property checked by Veronica too.

https://www.spotahome.com/dublin/for-rent:rooms/157142

Oh dear, Veronica is looking a bit rough in the pictures on the site. When did she grow that beard?

Also is it just me or does the window in that room look very odd? Looks like the stud wall is coming into the middle of it. Have the owners just divided up a room to rent it out? And the house owners renting that box room for €950 are disgraceful.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Have the owners just divided up a room to rent it out? And the house owners renting that box room for €950 are disgraceful.

Seems like it. The floorplan shows the house has 10-bedrooms yet it's meant to be a 6-bed.. At €950/month each they're raking in a small fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

well I am seeing loads of banner ads for them now.

If you see one, click it. It costs them money! Most likely each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Seems like it. The floorplan shows the house has 10-bedrooms yet it's meant to be a 6-bed.. At €950/month each they're raking in a small fortune.

Holy crap. I wouldn't have noticed that. It's lie a small hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Grayson wrote: »
    Holy crap. I wouldn't have noticed that. It's lie a small hotel.

Females only hotel btw.

The video's been taken down, but this is the internet and there are other copies available ;)
    and it's back (the video that is)

https://vimeo.com/294428854

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

and it's back (the video that is)

https://vimeo.com/294428854

I very much doubt there was planning permission sought for that.

I was trying to figure out where the tennant was supposed to even hang their clothes ....

And how the hell are you supposed to climb those "steps"??? Awkward angle tbh.

Terrible that someone even considered renting this out...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

• Advertisement

Have you noticed the dog???

Scared the **** out of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

That video of the spotahome place in Sutton gives me the chills, not out of fear but more the cold you'd get having to spend a night there. There's reports now of landlords and agencies demanding "viewing fees" from prospective tenants. The bottom hasn't been reached yet it seems...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

wonski wrote: »
    Have you noticed the dog???

Scared the **** out of me!

In a house like that, it's called a hound, not a dog :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

gozunda wrote: »
    I very much doubt there was planning permission sought for that.

I was trying to figure out where the tennant was supposed to even hang their clothes ....

There's a couple of pegs with clothes hangers.... I suspect that's the 'wardrobe'

https://imgur.com/a/YHpM6pv

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Where I come from this small creature wouldn't even be called a dog :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

If it had a central vacuum system, why is there a miele vacuum cleaner in the hall/foyer?

I suspect that terrier is a cast iron door stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Image of the 'studio' to rent from the outside for posterity ...

2jykd8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 44 sm171

2jykd8.jpg
    Wow. Just wow.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

2jykd8.jpg

That would need planning permission because of the height of the structure I believe.

Who wants to pretend to be the neighbour and file a complaint and watch the greedy money hungry owners that want 700 euro a month for this have to pull this down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Boom_Bap wrote: »

I must be blind.
    Where's the madra?

I could just see the little statue beside the radiator.

Advertisement