Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Valuation when not intending to sell

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I emailed our broker and he said Haven (our mortgage provider) haven't historically let people change LTV but the Haven rep had been saying for a while that it was going to change. Apparently he will be seeing the rep this morning and will ask the question.

We need the value of the house to have increased by a minimum of €18500.00 to get us under 80%.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I emailed our broker and he said Haven (our mortgage provider) haven't historically let people change LTV but the Haven rep had been saying for a while that it was going to change. Apparently he will be seeing the rep this morning and will ask the question.

We need the value of the house to have increased by a minimum of €18500.00 to get us under 80%.

I could be wrong but I think I remember the government forcing lenders to change about 4 or 5 years ago. The government were getting a lot of stick, as owners of the banks,, because we were the highest interest rates in the EU. Banks said they couldn't afford to reduce rates as they needed variable rates to subsidize the loss making trackers. As far as I remember the compromise was reduced LTV. I don't know who Haven is & maybe the compromise was just for the banks the government owned. BOI, AIB & Permanent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I can't understand why banks wouldn't let you change, as the alternative is that you could just switch mortgage (unless there's some specific reason why you're 100% tied to that provider). I haven't reached that stage yet, but if/when the value of my property increases to such an extent that I'd be in a different LTV bracket, I'd suggest to my lender that either they move me, or I move to a different lender.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If loans are securitised in certain ways it could be easier for them to be redeemed than altered. Guesswork rather than knowing if that is the case

• Registered Users Posts: 23,255 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Exactly. Totally untrue that they don't allow you to change. They allow you to change once in the loans lifetime. We changed last year after a valuation.

They told me that I couldn’t change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Update from the broker, Haven expect to be able to do LTV changes before Christmas. Waiting on some "system update". The broker will contact me when it's available and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Update from the broker, Haven expect to be able to do LTV changes before Christmas. Waiting on some "system update". The broker will contact me when it's available and go from there.

Ask them if they'll backdate it, given that their IT system schedules are nothing to do with you. They probably won't, but I'd make the point anyway.

Advertisement