Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Good news for tenants in budget 2018

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭The Student

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It should work that way but it doesn't. My wife was telling me last night about her friends sister & children moving in with her sister. Mother works in a good job. Landlord told her house is being sold & she has to move out. She's in her sisters. Same house is up for rent for hundreds more. Yes she can report him but she's still in her sisters with nowhere to live & wherever she rents she'll pay the higher rent.

There are cases here on boards daily or weekly where the landlord has done something like this. If a rent isn't registered in the first place then how does the government know what the increase is?

It's all well & good saying that we have rules in place put there is no governing body with real teeth to investigate & punish rogue landlords. There are thousands of tenants paying top up rent in cash so the landlord can avoid the cap. Tenants do this because they don't want the trouble of flat hunting again with the possibility of having to crash on someones couch for weeks while hunting, only to end up paying as much in the new place as the old.

You have to understand there are two types of landlords. Good & bad. The bad tend to make a lot more than the good.

Ask anyone flat hunting or house hunting if they feel rents are only 4 percent higher than last year. Not people moving into new apartments as stated in other posts but people looking in regular Dublin rentals.

I made a mistake with Dublin's average rent increase in an earlier post. It's not 8 percent. It's actually 13.4 percent year on year in Dublin

Yes but by reporting him your wife's friends sister in law has nothing to loose. It will put a message out that the rules are there to be followed.

A tenancy does not have to be registered to be covered by the RTB. If a tenant knows the old rent and can prove it then the RTB will take a case.

There are both good and bad tenants and landlords. What you find is that those of us who actually abide by the rules get mixed with those who don't. The term Landlord is toxic these days, you would swear you were the devil himself. Unless both bad tenants and landlords are driven from the sector you run the risk of only having bad landlords and fair landlords like myself (at least I consider myself a fair landlord) will leave the market because of the anti landlord stance and legislation.

The State refuses to evict bad tenants (they don't have a problem going after landlords). It is political suicide to evict anybody and no politician will sanction it. Even the courts wont evict mortgage holders without giving them a number of stays of execution.

As a society we need to change our mindset if we are to even go some way to solving the accommodation crisis we have. Unless all parties accept some changes are needed we will be having the same discussions next year on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,868 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Yes but by reporting him your wife's friends sister in law has nothing to loose. It will put a message out that the rules are there to be followed.

I don't know what she is going to do about it. I'd push for reporting but that's not her priority right now.

I edited a previous post to stress that most property I am in seems to be well run. If I talk about the bad ones all the time people might think I believe that all are bad and this is furthest thing from the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

....Yes she can report him but she's still in her sisters with nowhere to live & wherever she rents she'll pay the higher rent.....

If people don't report it and rogue landlords get away with it. What message is that saying to landlords who obey the rules and have a rent stuck far below the market rent.

Its makes them a fool and it's costing them tens of thousands.

There was a time when it was the opposite tenants just kept breaking leases once they found something cheaper. No one remembers that.

Something seems up with the figures though. The stories here don't seem to match the figures being released

The government can easily do it. What do you think a council house is.

I already pay way too much tax on top of having to pay for my own accomidation out of my own pocket and far too much of that tax is going towards housing people for free who appear to think they are entitled to be housed by the government.

The last thing we need is driving out private LLs and even more hard earned tax payers money going into housing people, it’s a completely idiotic idea. It’s reducing state funded housing and forcing more people to pay for their accomidation we should be doing rather than going the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

I already pay way too much tax on top of having to pay for my own accomidation out of my own pocket and far too much of that tax is going towards housing people for free who appear to think they are entitled to be housed by the government.

The last thing we need is driving out private LLs and even more hard earned tax payers money going into housing people, it’s a completely idiotic idea. It’s reducing state funded housing and forcing more people to pay for their accomidation we should be doing rather than going the other way.

Who says it has to be for social housing only? Why doesn't the government build and rent to middle income earners for sensible rents like 1000 a month for a nice modern well built one bed apartment - we all know that could drive property prices and rents down though so won't happen.

If they keep flogging the "market will provide" mantra and continue to have working people gouged for rents of 1500 plus for Celtic tiger tinderboxes in Coolock and Poppintree (ballymun), whilst saying "we have a plan and the plan is working" people will get sh1t sick of it (and continue to pay HAP to house social housing eligible people in the short term private market).

This situation has gone on for years and shows no signs of abating and will continue to get worse. There is no political will there to drastically increase the supply of houses - landlords are p1ssed, tenants are p1ssed and I see nothing on the cards that will change this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I have no idea what you are talking about.

The Govt stopping providing housing is largely what caused this mess to begin with. The private rental market doesn't not have the capacity to provide the housing required. Its that simple.

Social housing and perhaps even affordable housing is loss making. You can't out source that to private market and not expect it not push the market higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

This shouldn't impact on the next tenant coming in as they are entitled to a decent minimum standard when moving in. Airbnb landlords don't have a problem paying a cleaner to clean between lettings.

Sadly not as normal as you think. Higher minimum standards wont effect decent landlords like yourself & I'm sure all the landlords posting here. However in Dublin we have some out & out kips. I'm in different rented accommodation on a daily basis. In Dublin city it's not unusual to find old Georgian buildings split into rooms. You can have several beds in a tiny room. I struggle getting my toolbag through the room into the bathroom. Yesterday I saw two sets of bunkbeds for four adults in a tiny room suitable for one person. Every room covered in mould

Look I could spend the whole day writing about the horrors I see. You wont believe most of it but these are the places that need higher minimum standards. I'm not talking about your property

Building regs state every room must have a vent. If your property is newish then maybe you have trickle vents in the windows & you are wondering why you had to install a second vent in each room? Every room in the house must have a vent, inc the attic.

You passed a simple test there. IMO a good rule of thumb is if you wouldn't want your own family living there then your standards need to be improved

EDIT: I should point out that I am in some really well managed properties more often than the really bad ones.

The problem with building regs is (for HAP) having to meet 2018 standards at big cost on an older home.

If the council can stand over the justification for it - they could help towards the cost of it - ideally 100 percent of it.

There are two sides to this issue....

1) the landlord has a house they would happily live in themselves and is "in nice order" but HAP want 20 k worth of work and the landlord can't put their hand on 20 k right now. Even if they could - it's "work that isn't needed".

The other side is......

2) in tacking climate change etc one of the likely measures will likely be retrofit of existing homes to a higher energy standard. This is because we want to ideally reduce fossil fuel use - and make the best use of renewables by reducing energy demand.

Unfortunately it looks like HAP/LAs havent a clue what they are at. What's the aim of just drilling walls????. What's the gain in making the property better to live in.

Is the gain worth the expense????.

A nice refurb can enhance a property but does officialdom know what that is or should be.

There is a longer term need to upgrade as many properties as possible in a way that suits the individual property. But its something that property owners need support with. Not a kick in the privates.

BTW when I say need to upgrade properties i mean in longer term owner occupied etc as well not just rentals

Old diesel wrote:
    There is a longer term need to upgrade as many properties as possible in a way that suits the individual property. But its something that property owners need support with. Not a kick in the privates.

I agree & I'm not talking about now. Any changes are years away. The government won't rock the boat with such a short of property. This can will be kicked fur down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭sk8board

Fol20 wrote: »
    What he is trying to say is that 61pc of the rent roll he received didn’t end up in his pocket but in someone else’s.

What he said. Tks.

sk8board wrote:
    What he said. Tks.

What you said was that you paid 61 percent of the rent in tax. This obviously isn't true. You made a mistake & no big deal. I'm wondering if you have a mortgage & how much interest relief you got as this will bring the percentage of the rent paid in tax down to 20 or 30 percent. About half of the 61 percent you mistakenly mentioned earlier.

Based on the figures you gave you might pay 43 percent of the rent in tax. Obviously with interest relief it's possible to cut this in half, depending on how much interest you pay or don't pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

What you said was that you paid 61 percent of the rent in tax. This obviously isn't true. You made a mistake & no big deal. I'm wondering if you have a mortgage & how much interest relief you got as this will bring the percentage of the rent paid in tax down to 20 or 30 percent. About half of the 61 percent you mistakenly mentioned earlier.

Based on the figures you gave you might pay 43 percent of the rent in tax. Obviously with interest relief it's possible to cut this in half, depending on how much interest you pay or don't pay.

You're massively overestimating how much a 15% increase in allowable interest will help. Sweet FA in many cases as the LL's are on trackers.

You're massively overestimating how much a 15% increase in allowable interest will help. Sweet FA in many cases as the LL's are on trackers.

I'm not asking the poster about the 15 percent increase. I'm asking what interest relief he got this year because I'm pretty certain that we can get that original 61 percent cut in half. I already have it down to about 43 percent I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭sk8board

Can’t see why you want to push this argument so much, disputing that 61% of my rent doesn’t end up in my pocket - a fact you can’t know anything about, especially when you’re clearly not a landlord, nor know much about my taxes.

But hey, I’ll bite:

Firstly, my income tax rate on the rent in 2017 was 52% (40+4+8).

Pre tax Deductibles came to 9% of total rent. A very good year.

Thats roughly income tax of 52% of 91% = 48%

+ USC which was 3% of total rent, not deductible.

+ Then the non-deductible parts of repairs and maintence
    60% of the 9% above = 5.5%
    + recurring capital allowances were 3% of rental income. Roughly
    + There are always other costs not deductible, small cash work etc. That wasn’t much last year, just 2%. Roughly

48+3+5.5+3+2=61%

But that’s just my case, everyone will be different. I own all houses outright, except for one with a small mortgage.

sk8board wrote:
    Can’t see why you want to push this argument so much, disputing that 61% of my rent doesn’t end up in my pocket - a fact you can’t know anything about, especially when you’re clearly not a landlord, nor know much about my taxes.

Hey I own a business yet 99 percent of my takings don't end up in my pocket. It makes no sense to describe it this way and is quite deceiving as my tax rate will be almost identical to you. My 99 percent doesn't mean that I pay more or less tax than you & it makes no sense to quote these facts
    What you originally posted was that 61 percent of the rent went in tax. This is why I'm pushing it.

Back of the envelope calculation for you suggests that 43 percent of the rent goes in tax. There is a big difference between 61 and 43 percent. I like clarity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

sk8board wrote: »

But hey, I’ll bite:

Firstly, my income tax rate on the rent in 2017 was 52% (40+4+8).

Pre tax Deductibles came to 9% of total rent. A very good year.

Thats roughly income tax of 52% of 91% = 48%

+ USC which was 3% of total rent, not deductible.

+ Then the non-deductible parts of repairs and maintence
    60% of the 9% above = 5.5%
    + recurring capital allowances were 3% of rental income. Roughly
    + There are always other costs not deductible, small cash work etc. That wasn’t much last year, just 2%. Roughly

48+3+5.5+3+2=61%

But that’s just my case, everyone will be different. I own all houses outright, except for one with a small mortgage.

You added capital allowances to your tax bill. Also you've added usc twice.

Takes it down a small bit. The usc computation is a bit more complicated than % of income, its usc on the profit (income) and 5% on the deducted capital allowances to simplify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

Hey I own a business yet 99 percent of my takings don't end up in my pocket. It makes no sense to describe it this way and is quite deceiving as my tax rate will be almost identical to you. My 99 percent doesn't mean that I pay more or less tax than you & it makes no sense to quote these facts
    What you originally posted was that 61 percent of the rent went in tax. This is why I'm pushing it.

Back of the envelope calculation for you suggests that 43 percent of the rent goes in tax. There is a big difference between 61 and 43 percent. I like clarity

He didn’t say 61pc in tax. He included maintenance in this. He just didn’t express it in such a detailed manner that you are looking for. I understood what he was trying to say and even when He agreed with what I said and also gave you a little more detail, you still are looking at the small points on this topic exactly like what you did on another discussion we had a few weeks ago.

He never said you pay more tax than you, I doubt he really cares about whatever your business and whatever taxes you pay.its like me quoting your comment saying you would earn more than 1pc of business income as you said you said 99pc ofnitndidnt land in your pocket. I understand what your saying but your focusing too much on smaller points. He is just highlighting the fact that he doesn’t end up with that much in his pocket after everything is deducted including tax. There’s no need to get out the accounting hat every time a discussion like this goes on. Ll pay accountants for that and we don’t need to break it down precisely, we just look at the bigger picture and care about the bottom line

Fol20 wrote:
    He didn’t say 61pc in tax. He included maintenance in this. He just didn’t express it in such a detailed manner that you are looking for. I understood what he was trying to say and even when He agreed with what I said and also gave you a little more detail, you still are looking at the small points on this topic exactly like what you did on another discussion we had a few weeks ago.

He said 61 percent tax. He did include maintenance but that actually looked like it was on top of the tax.

I'm not looking for small points. Many landlords here report their earnings on threads in such a way that it is very misleading to other posters. One landlord said that its the only business that you pay USC on income. This is totally wrong. No business pays USC on income. You can only pay USC on profits. I then see non landlords repeat this as fact.

Just look at the way sk8board posted his earnings in post 286. I've never seen anything so complicated. You have your rent /income & subtract your tax deductibles. This is profit. It's only now that you talk about tax. He says USC is 3 percent of the rent. It has nothing to do with rent but has everything to do with profit. I know that he didn't fill in his tax return in such a manner so why try do it here? He may need to recheck his tax return as figures posted here don't add up. They are padded out & made higher than they really are.

Fol20 wrote:
    He never said you pay more tax than you, I doubt he really care about whatever your business and whatever taxes you pay.he was just highlighting the fact that he doesn’t end up with that much in his pocket after everything is deducted including tax. There’s no need to get out the accounting hat every time a discussion like this goes on. Ll pay accountants for that and we don’t need to break it down precisely, we just look at the bigger picture and care about the bottom line

I don't care who pays more or less tax. It's not a peeing competition.

My point of saying that I don't get 99 percent of what my business takes in is to show how ridiculous it is to try describe your business in such a way. It means nothing. Not unlike trying to include interest rates when valuing a business.

I might only get 1 percent of my takings but that could be 1 euro or a million euro. The only purpose me stating that I don't get 99 percent of the takings is to make it look like how hard done by I am. Yet it means nothing.

You can only measure a business, any business on profits. Not the percentage that you don't get. What percentage of the turnover means nothing. Turnover isn't yours. Not in any business. Profits is what you should be talking about.

I honestly don't know if most small landlords have genuinely don't understand profits & loss or do they deliberately post misleading figures. I believe that most posting these figures here wouldn't attempt to produce figures like that going for another mortgage. I believe that then they will have profit and loss off to a tee.

Every time someone produces misleading figures I'm quite happy to point it out. I am dyslexic. Left school at 14 before state exams because I was going to fail everything. I have little more than primary school maths. If I can grasp profit & loss I genuinely don't understand how so many landlords posting here get it wrong. Always wrong by inflating figures and never the other way round.

I'm here to keep it honest :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Turnover is vanity, profit is ssanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

A few petty comments do not make a thread

Advertisement