Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

College Green Plaza -- public consultation open

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Passed through CG the other day, it really is a mess. Sooner the plaza goes ahead the better. Wondering what is the process if ABP give the go ahead- is their decision final or can it be appealed to the courts?

As long as ABP haven't fücked it up like they did with the St Anne's Park development, I don't think there's much recourse to be had. I also don't know who exactly would take it to the courts in this case, maybe a motoring group or something, but that seems unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So all going to plan might it be built by the end of 2019? Be a great result if it is, it would really transform the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Shocking this has been allowed to go on, it should've been completed before LCC opened. Instead the earliest it'll be delivered is 2 years after LCC opened. At least it'll be closed to traffic soon enough, even if the streetscape isn't finished.

The streetscape in most of Dublin is a dogs dinner, way to many metal boxes, excessive polls, cheap stained and uneven paving, bags of recycling from businesses strewn across the street. If we can get this right, it should be a blueprint for the rest of the city.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

On the tourist thing. I'd agree that tourists don't look at particular details like those mentioned above. However when I think of my own trips, I do have an overall impression of a city. Oh, that was a really pleasant city, I'd love to go back or that was terrible.

And now that I think about it, it is the walk-ability of the city, how accessible it is, how easy it is to get around, how nice the outdoor areas are. A city like Prague, Amsterdam, which are highly walkable, I absolutely love and can't wait to return to and rave to other people about them. A city like Atlanta, yuck, horrible and never want to return to it and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Dublin feels like it fits in somewhere in between those two extremes. Not insane like Atlanta, but not very walkable either, too many cars and buses rushing by next to you all throughout the city center.

But I also agree we should be improving the fabric of our city for the locals first and foremost. Thing is though, what makes for a pleasant environment for tourists, usually makes for a pleasant environment for locals too, while making it easier to "sell".

On a more positive note, since LCC opened, I have to say Dawson St is absolutely gorgeous. My British colleague was visiting recently and commented on it also. The embarrassment that has been made of Grafton st, and the even worse half finished side streets off it would get you down all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

cgcsb wrote: »
    On a more positive note, since LCC opened, I have to say Dawson St is absolutely gorgeous. My British colleague was visiting recently and commented on it also. The embarrassment that has been made of Grafton st, and the even worse half finished side streets off it would get you down all the same.

Yeh dawson street is so nice, it reminds me so much of west london except london has several hundred streets like it, Dublin should have more streets that look like it considering its wealth though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I dont like Grafton St since that re-paving. Feels like it has lost its character.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It has had very little character for years with the amount of ****ty and tacky shopfronts on it.

The paving is horrific. Stained black in parts, looks filthy. It's the one street DCC could have spent a bit of money on the paving stones instead of cheaping out on us.

bk wrote: »
    On the tourist thing. I'd agree that tourists don't look at particular details like those mentioned above. However when I think of my own trips, I do have an overall impression of a city. Oh, that was a really pleasant city, I'd love to go back or that was terrible.

And now that I think about it, it is the walk-ability of the city, how accessible it is, how easy it is to get around, how nice the outdoor areas are. A city like Prague, Amsterdam, which are highly walkable, I absolutely love and can't wait to return to and rave to other people about them. A city like Atlanta, yuck, horrible and never want to return to it and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Dublin feels like it fits in somewhere in between those two extremes. Not insane like Atlanta, but not very walkable either, too many cars and buses rushing by next to you all throughout the city center.

But I also agree we should be improving the fabric of our city for the locals first and foremost. Thing is though, what makes for a pleasant environment for tourists, usually makes for a pleasant environment for locals too, while making it easier to "sell".

I agree with the last bit and that's the most important thing, it's just when people's first instinct is to worry "what will the tourists think", I think it's pretty pointless (much like most "what will x think" ponderings).

Like New York Citt has to be one of the least pleasant places to walk, horrific traffic, and the whole place is filthy and cluttered. Yet I still absolutely love it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

cgcsb wrote: »
    The paving is horrific. Stained black in parts, looks filthy. It's the one street DCC could have spent a bit of money on the paving stones instead of cheaping out on us.

If they cleaned them they'd be fine

The few remaining streets with the red and white slip hazards look awful, it dated extremely badly. They are taking forever to do the replacement

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

L1011 wrote: »

It’s next to impossible to keep unpolished grey granite clean and free of stains.

They would have been far better off picking a red, yellow, orange, green or even mixed colour stone. Dark grey might have worked better for cleaning but would be too dark and black would be doing a full circle and would be hard too keep clean if anything of colour was spilt on it.

Grey is cheap stone.

The few remaining streets with the red and white slip hazards look awful, it dated extremely badly. They are taking forever to do the replacement

the decrepit red brick mixed with patches of tarmac are worse of course, but at least that's due to age. The Grafton paving is brand new and is a disaster.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The red and white was nasty when new and maintained as well as dangerous in the rain - which is so rare here!

The existing access hours for shops need to be extended earlier when this happens - in Grafton Street for work right now and there are already goods vehicles in an hour early and they'll be pushed to be gone by 10

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

The red and white was nasty when new and maintained as well as dangerous in the rain - which is so rare here!

Everyone has their preference but I smile every time I see the remaining red brick + cream trim left on Exchequer st. Understand it had maintanance issues and long needed replacing. But visually it felt premium...soft, warm, colourful and inviting. It complimented the red brick buildings of the area. To me it gave a unique carachter and united the city center shopping area differentiating from regular pavements.

To replace it with the chosen bland recession grey stone was a real downgrade visually. May aswell have been concrete. It feels cheap, signals that this is just any other street, looks wet and ugly most of the time hilighting dirt and stains. Sad, as donald would say.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Regardless of the reasoning for its choice of it being cheap or in vogue etc, unpolished light and less so mid grey stone is the quickest granite to look dirty and easiest to stain.

Councils need to stop using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I think everyone is overreacting about the loss of the red brick paving, I think that looked messy and dirty and I think grafton street still looks messy and dirty, so no loss

I'm not mourning the loss of red brick, I'm mourning from the vandalism DCC has committed with its cheap paving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 celtcia

I like blue stone! You people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Was it really that bad? I can remember staring at Weir’s at St Patrick’s weekend in1988 as they were being installed (I think the Milltown Cemetery shooting was earlier in the day) and some scrotes picked up some uninstalled bricks and heaved them through Switzer’s Window. Proper maintenance, replacement like for like would I imagine have kept them better. Not even sure where the granite comes from but i’d Have loved to see Kilkenny limestone used. The whole More London development is paved in it in London and it seems to be holding up very well after 13 years or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Here's the link to their documents related to the refusal
    http://www.pleanala.ie/news//JA0039/JA0039.htm

Unsurprising - this project was dead as soon as elements with DCC got their payoffs from the car lobby on the Quays car ban.

Traffic consideration seems to be the main reason it was rejected alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Hurrache wrote: »
    Traffic consideration seems to be the main reason it was rejected alright.

Honestly it shouldn't be a suprise here the other streets just arent capable of taking the traffic from closing it off. Town is a nightmare to get through as it is without more restrictions to traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

The reasons for refusal seem very logical and well thought out. The plan was too aspirational with a lack of planning on how daily users of the city would be impacted. It seemed to be a marque project for tourists and weekend visitors which would have a very negative impact on daily commuters.

Shame. If DCC wasn't so corrupt the quays car ban could've solved the traffic issue and the plaza would have gotten through planning, no problem.

I hope those councilors enjoy their payouts. Time for NTA to take control of these projects, another function of local government removed due to inability to deliver.

I look forward to a fresh application in 2020.

Infini wrote: »
    Honestly it shouldn't be a suprise here the other streets just arent capable of taking the traffic from closing it off. Town is a nightmare to get through as it is without more restrictions to traffic.

It's a nightmare to get through because of the traffic. We should be focusing on improving things for buses and trams, not cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭KD345

This is the right decision IMO, they examined the impact and realised the negatives it would have on surrounding areas. As a bus user this plan would have been disasterous for services.

Advertisement