Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dublin Bus Route to feed Luas @ Broombridge

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

MJohnston wrote: »
    Can someone tell me is there an actual logic to the numbering of DB routes? Like what does the 40E have to do with the 40 or 40B? 40D at least starts from the same location, but the other two have no real connection, other than they vaguely go into completely different parts of Finglas.

The 40 routes were essentially between Parnell Square and Finglas via Dorset Street and Whitworth Road.

The 40 went up the Finglas Road, through the village, out to Finglas West and then to McKelvey (and later Charlestown but it may have already been merged by the time that happened) through the roundabout near Lidl. The 40A went to Finglas Village, back down to Finglas South through Wellmount Road and then up to Finglas West and McKelvey. I think the 40B came from the city centre, through Finglas village, straight to Jamestown and then onto Toberburr. 40C used to serve Finglas South and West without going to the village. 40D was the same as the 40C in Finglas South and then diverged to go to Tyrellstown. Some of this may be slightly inaccurate. There was a lot of chopping and changing towards the end.

Then there's the 140 which was brought in around ten years ago when the northern parts of Finglas (Charlestown, Meakstown, Jamestown) were developed with medium density housing and it always went from Jamestown, through Meakstown and Charlestown to the Finglas bypass and went straight to the city centre through Phibsborough.

There was a 240 for a brief period.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Madness. With regards to BusConnects, there is a good amount of naming simplification there, but it should really be possible to hear the route number and know exactly where it goes to/from.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,701 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

MJohnston wrote: »
    Madness. With regards to BusConnects, there is a good amount of naming simplification there, but it should really be possible to hear the route number and know exactly where it goes to/from.

Busconnects numbering is still pretty arcane even if there is some reasoning behind it. All the orbitals should be OX and all the local routes should be LX IMO.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Busconnects numbering is still pretty arcane even if there is some reasoning behind it. All the orbitals should be OX and all the local routes should be LX IMO.

That's what I mean - it doesn't do enough to fix the numbering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

A bit off topic but the nearby 120 bus, which runs from Ashtown to Parnell Square, is due to have services reduced substantially from Sunday. According to the revised timetable, the number of weekday services ex town per day is going from the current 54 to 42.
    And this is without the 'benefit' of BusConnects...

• Advertisement

A bit off topic but the nearby 120 bus, which runs from Ashtown to Parnell Square, is due to have services reduced substantially from Sunday. According to the revised timetable, the number of weekday services ex town per day is going from the current 54 to 42.
    And this is without the 'benefit' of BusConnects...

I would imagine that is because large numbers of passengers have switched to the Luas instead. The 120 only offers value to people who can't walk to the nearby Luas stops along the route. Even without BusConnects I could see the 120 slowly becoming a very lightly used service.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

This route will form part of the Dublin Bus service expansion project and it's final confirmed routing till be Tyrellstown to Broombridge Luas via West Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Got 8.20 this morning it was jam packed before Cabra, half people couldnt get on, they really need to double frequency before that bus starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Spoken with a bus driver, he informed me that 40e will commence sometime in Novmeber as the 17a is going to GA so that will free up some drivers to drive new 40e

Do we know if the route or times of the 17a will change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

stevek93 wrote: »
    Do we know if the route or times of the 17a will change?

Timetable will probably change as most all routes which switched to Go-Ahead so far got a revised timetable with some improvements. I wouldn't think the 17a would get a huge timetable change perhaps it will be upgraded to every 20 mins at all times 7 days a week. Perhaps the last bus might wait for the arrival of the last DART like the 45a and the 184 and terminate right outside Howth Junsction it would be good for better intergration with the DART. Do many use this bus to connect with the DART?

• Advertisement

Got 8.20 this morning it was jam packed before Cabra, half people couldnt get on, they really need to double frequency before that bus starts.

Do you think many will use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Yes, every kind of public transport on busy routes in Dublin is oversubscribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭madnessnmayhem

According to GA 17A and other routes will commence on December 2nd so can see 40e been launched then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Half hour frequency. Not too bad. Pity its not more at peak times.

Ive just realised it serves Michelstown Road rather than Ballycoolin which makes it much less useful as a connection service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭Daith

This could be handy for me at times.

If I have an annual bus ticket, does the 90 minute discount apply to travel credit I'd have on my Leap card if I use the Luas after getting this bus? I'm thinking no?

I wonder will the new bus stops installed for this new route be TFI style like on the 175 or will they be the current DB style.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Ive just realised it serves Michelstown Road rather than Ballycoolin which makes it much less useful as a connection service.

I think it's mostly for servicing the north end of the industrial area, somewhat like the purpose of the 262L in the original busconnects proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,701 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Daith wrote: »
    This could be handy for me at times.

If I have an annual bus ticket, does the 90 minute discount apply to travel credit I'd have on my Leap card if I use the Luas after getting this bus? I'm thinking no?

It doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Those first services on the 40e put Dublin bus to shame especially that Sunday morning service ....07:15!

Not many of their other flagship routes do you see that !

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I think it's mostly for servicing the north end of the industrial area, somewhat like the purpose of the 262L in the original busconnects proposal.

They had to pick one or the other I guess, I just know a few people living in RCP/Ashtown who work around Ballycoolin but have no real PT options. It looked like this bus would help, but with it taking the North route, their workplaces aren't served.

This routing would have served the people I know better, but it may be that there are similar workplaces well served by the new routing.

The DB website mentions there will be a "promotional fare" on this route €1.55 for an adult on Leap and €2.15 cash.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

loyatemu wrote: »
    It doesn't.

Slightly ridiculously as that disincentives long term users.

There are substantial changes to unify fares in December towards a flat structure but this obvious change is not done. Allowing leap 90 equivalent for existing long term ticket holders will increase their off peak usage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

They had to pick one or the other I guess, I just know a few people living in RCP/Ashtown who work around Ballycoolin but have no real PT options. It looked like this bus would help, but with it taking the North route, their workplaces aren't served.

This routing would have served the people I know better, but it may be that there are similar workplaces well served by the new routing.

tbf, sticking with that routing - essentially duplicating the existing 40D - would have been criminal following the release of the initial BusConnects proposal and it's suggestion that a route be send around the north part of the industrial estate. Plus, you say that like there's no ability for people to walk from one side to the other...

In addition, the northerly routing means that Hollystown and Hollywoodwrath now get an all-day 7-day service, as opposed to just three services a day M-F.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    tbf, sticking with that routing - essentially duplicating the existing 40D - would have been criminal following the release of the initial BusConnects proposal and it's suggestion that a route be send around the north part of the industrial estate. Plus, you say that like there's no ability for people to walk from one side to the other...

In addition, the northerly routing means that Hollystown and Hollywoodwrath now get an all-day 7-day service, as opposed to just three services a day M-F.

Walking is pretty awkward, that's a big part of the problem:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mitchelstown+Rd,+Dublin/Symantec,+Ballycoolin+Business+Park,+Ballycoolin+Road,+Grange,+Dublin+15/@53.411153,-6.3602011,15z/data=!4m8!4m7!1m2!1m1!1s0x4867128bee8eb861:0xae15d1e8f9b813e0!1m2!1m1!1s0x4867129019a7bb71:0x1a9b2c90c6d9035b!3e2

It's something that needs to be addressed across Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Time table is a little ambitious, 30 minutes from Tyrrelstown to Broombridge is not going to be easy, especially in rush hour traffic, it can take up to 40 minutes to drive from Cappagh hospital to Cabra in the morning times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I wonder will the new bus stops installed for this new route be TFI style like on the 175 or will they be the current DB style.

I heard somewhere that once all the go-ahead routes are taken over in Jan/Feb they'll be replacing all the 'pole' DB stops with the new TFI one.

If this is the case, I'd be suprised if they stick with the DB style for this route.

It's the NTA though, so anything can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Typical they have removed the Bus Lane that was on the Ballyboggan Road. If they wanted they could have looked at routing the bus in that direction to get through the rush hour traffic in the morning on Ratoath Rd. It does be heavily backed up like you said.

• Advertisement

Typical they have removed the Bus Lane that was on the Ballyboggan Road. If they wanted they could have looked at routing the bus in that direction to get through the rush hour traffic in the morning on Ratoath Rd. It does be heavily backed up like you said.

The bridge from Broombridge station is too narrow and only 1 way. I believe Bus Connects includes upgrading it to allow 2way bus traffic.

Advertisement