Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Games Festival

• 01-10-2018 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭

So, does anyone know anything about it ? Linky

There's gonna be a retro section at it:
    RETRO GAMING
    We’re all getting old here at Aeonspark Events (well, some of us) and we do enjoy our good old games! So in order to relive our youth, we’re going to bring them back and have a large retro section at Dublin Games Festival! Will you be rusty after all this time, or do you have years of practice behind you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭TheoBane

Hey Deadl0ck,

The Retro zone is being run by 8Bit Conference who hold their retro gaming event annually, they will be running that retro zone at the Dublin Games Festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

TheoBane wrote: »
    Hey Deadl0ck,

The Retro zone is being run by 8Bit Conference who hold their retro gaming event annually, they will be running that retro zone at the Dublin Games Festival.
    OK - I haven't been at 8bit conference, but it looked quite cool and I would have loved to be able to go.
    Did it receive good reports / reviews ? And does this mean it bodes well that they are running it at DGF ?

deadl0ck wrote: »
    OK - I haven't been at 8bit conference, but it looked quite cool and I would have loved to be able to go.
    Did it receive good reports / reviews ? And does this mean it bodes well that they are running it at DGF ?

They have already ran two events so far (one last year just after GamerCon and one last summer) both of them did well in terms of attendance, especially the one for last year considering on what happened.

Though I am beist in this as I am organizing the Dublin Games Festival along with the owner of 8Bit Conference. So I can only give my opinion on it, but if you have any questions at all about the event just let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I wonder would it be worth going for the retro stuff? I'd love to go to a game related event, but not interested in eSports, Fortnite etc.

I wouldn't attend an event for current consoles as there's nothing necessarily interesting about them. Retro and arcade is where it gets interesting.

Might keep an eye on it though.

TBH I'm into both - I have an Arcade cab and quite a bit of my original hardware from the Gameboy DMG01 onwards, but I also have a switch that I play quite a bit, so I may go.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I put a lot of time into the show last year, run by a different group, and while it was fun I didn't have so much fun tbh.
    I'm not sure I'd be convinced to go along to another.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I put a lot of time into the show last year, run by a different group, and while it was fun I didn't have so much fun tbh.
    I'm not sure I'd be convinced to go along to another.
    Were you helping set it up ? Or did you just attend ? (Sorry - unsure based on your comment)

It would really depends to be honest! For instance our Retro zone will have around 30 to 40 consoles but once you are finished that you are done the retro aspect of the event (bar the stalls that sell retro stuff) If you are not interested in other aspects of it and only Retro then I would say give it a skip maybe and wait for the next 8Bit Conference event.

In saying that, we will have a lot of different aspects to the event that is not just Fortnite or esports. We will have a 20ft Mario Kart Racecourse with RC there, escape rooms, VR Games & Experiences, Casual Console Gaming, Indie Devs, Board Games, Lego building area and much more. We are still compiling a lot of the activities and things to do! It all boils down to what you want to do on the day and what you are into!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Were you helping set it up ? Or did you just attend ? (Sorry - unsure based on your comment)

I contributed to the items in the retro section and with the setting up and taking down of everything there, it was fun but tiring and, in the end, expensive in terms of parking and time away from work.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I contributed to the items in the retro section and with the setting up and taking down of everything there, it was fun but tiring and, in the end, expensive in terms of parking and time away from work.
    Ahh - totally understandable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Looking forward to this. After the success of gamercon last year it's great to see Ireland continuing the Cons and hopefully they will get bigger each year.

Advertisement