Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PC versions of rollcage hold up a lot better than the PS1 versions. They also had 4 player split screen which was fun but a disaster on the one keyboard as different combinations of keys would lock out others :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The PC versions of rollcage hold up a lot better than the PS1 versions. They also had 4 player split screen which was fun but a disaster on the one keyboard as different combinations of keys would lock out others :D

Firebugs is a second Rollcage sequel but for some reason they dropped the Rollcage title, maybe it was a Sony thing, don't know.
    It's brighter and and more colourful than the Rollcage titles but it is the same gameplay, physics and track styles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nice, Never even heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

On a bit of a Castlevania binge today, had a good bash at Bloodlines and IV.

As a matter of interest, I dug out Chronicles for the PS1 as I've had it sitting there unplayed since Gamestop were selling off their PS1 games for 2 quid a pop.

Holy crap does it look dated. I know it's a glossed up port, but seriously, could have tried a little harder with the pixel art and animation. Bloodlines, a game from a generation before, looks a million times nicer.

It's not a glossed up port. It's the original game. The PS1 exclusive version just changes the Simon sprite and makes the game easier. Spruced up soundtrack as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's not a glossed up port. It's the original game. The PS1 exclusive version just changes the Simon sprite and makes the game easier. Spruced up soundtrack as well.

Oh really?? Interesting! What do you make of it?

Played the original NES Castlevania straight after just to compare and it plays far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Couldn't be arsed watching anything on TV earlier so played through Streets of Rage 2 and also managed to play through the first level of Super Hang On.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Oh really?? Interesting! What do you make of it?

Played the original NES Castlevania straight after just to compare and it plays far better.

It's good if a bit uninspired. It doesn't have the originality of the better vania games and doesn't make great use of the x68000 other than some nice visuals for the time.

I do appreciate that it got a release at all as it could well have been left as a x68000 exclusive. Also the remix versions difficulty level is nice as the original is near impossible.

I'd kind of rank it along side the SNES Dracula X.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Finished Adventures in the Magic Kingdom on the NES. Played it mainly because it's considered a relatively easy NES game. Didn't think much of it, didn't really like answering (googling) all the trivia questions.

IMAG0072.jpg

IMAG0080.jpg

IMAG0087.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Played Die Hard Arcade a fair bit yesterday, probably only got half way through. Need to work on some combo moves. Also played a lot of Virtua Tennis now playing a bit of Re-Volt.

The Saturn and Dreamcast definitely don't get as much attention!

• Advertisement

I've started playing STALKER Clear Sky.

It's somehow wonkier than the original. It reuses the originals map. The dynamic faction wars are interesting but ultimately don't work that well and you just end up ignoring them after a while.

It's got some balancing issues. The second area of the game opens with you getting riddled by a machine gun nest from an army cordon which is not fun. Got stuck after it for ages assaulting the cordon only to realise later that you should actually just run away as you aren't properly kitted out to take out the army.

Lots of things aren't intuitive, I had to look up how to throw bolts and use the artefact sensors as well.

Still well worth playing but I feel the patchy original is much better and it has the same problem as the original where the start of the game isn't much fun until you get better weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Playing Daytona on my JPN Saturn and Read Dead Redemption for the first time on PS3.

Playing Rad Racer and Bionic Commando on the NES currently.
    Liking both, Bionic Commando is very good, still getting used to grappling and swinging instead of jumping. The original name of the Japanese release was "Hitler's Resurrection: Top Secret" ! :eek:

Rad Racer is what it is but I really enjoy it, I'm not a sophisticated man, drive fast, avoid stuff, shout at the other cars that make you crash. Would have been great if it had a track map during gameplay

I was on here a while back talking about how I gave Shenmue a go and found it a bit crap, well I fired it up again a few nights back before writing it off entirely and I have to say it's after pulling me in.
    Admittedly I'm playing with a trainer that lets me fast forward and rewind time but it makes a hell of a difference. No more hanging around playing Space Harrier to
    "entertain" myself. I'm just after getting my forklift and I can't wait to see what happens next in the story.
    It must be said though the foundations of the gameplay are very weak by todays standards but once you can look past that and deal with the in-game time system, Shenmue is a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Playing a few things - Just started Mario RPG on my SNES classic.
    I'm trying a few games on the Retron 5 also, sonic, bonanza brothers, chakan and I'm really enjoying Master Blaster Zero on the switch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I'm knowingly playing 'crap' at the moment, just wanted to finish something that I'd play on and off in Dr Quirkey's Good Time Emporium (O'Connell Street, Dublin), back in the early/mid 1990s.

Starblade: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starblade

Running the PSX (PlayStation 1) version, titled, 'Starblade Alpha'

I never would have thought this predated Starfox (SNES), there's talk that one inspired the other.

Full Arcade playthrough:

Full PlayStation playthrough:

Now if I can emulate 'T-Mek Arcade' faithfully, all my 'crap' needs will be taken care of.. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was the biggest fan of Starblade in the arcades, and I have it on the PS.
    The 3DO version is also great but my copy seems to have disappeared. I must buy it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

It's a guilty pleasure, I think it's the audio, the speaker system was very bass heavy and it felt quite exhilarating.

Quirkey's did tend to crank up the bass/audio. The Sega Star Wars Arcade (1993) sit in cabinet and the T-Mek sit in cabinet (1994) were quite loud.

Amalgam wrote: »
    It's a guilty pleasure, I think it's the audio, the speaker system was very bass heavy and it felt quite exhilarating.

Quirkey's did tend to crank up the bass/audio. The Sega Star Wars Arcade (1993) sit in cabinet and the T-Mek sit in cabinet (1994) were quite loud.

Apparently Starblade came with a big, throbbing subwoofer that generated those good vibrations during play.
    Ooh-er missus!

Started playing shining force 2 on the megadrive.

This was my first RPG.

For a tactical RPG it's very simplistic but that makes it easy to get into and while the story is a bit twee it's also got a 80/90s anime charm you don't get anymore.

Been really enjoying it..

• Advertisement

Finished rad racer on the NES. The last course is by far the hardest, doubt it's possible to finish with time left, I ran out of time by a few seconds but momentum took me over.

IMAG0187.jpg

IMAG0162.jpg

IMAG0142.jpg

IMAG0139.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

It's fun to go back to Shining Force 2 with an FAQ. When you find all the characters and learn which ones to level it's a lot easier. I'm not surprised I got stuck on the last level without them.

I prefer the story and atmosphere in the first one for some reason but the sequels got a lot more of everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Gradius 3.. slowdown be damned, the game is amazing. One of the best soundtracks on snes too. Addicted to it for days

Been playing Shadow Warriors (Ninja Gaiden) on the NES. Dear god the last act is so much harder than the rest of the game, got to the second boss a few times and just got destroyed. Being set back to 6-1 on the single boss death is pretty harsh, could have done with the continues starting from the first boss.

I've actually been playing Devil's Crush on the NEC PC Engine - it's for the Game Club on the Retro Asylum.
    It's a pinball game and it's excellent.
    I'd never played any PC Engine games before and it's a VERY impressive little machine for the time.
    I've also set up a YouTube gaming channel and started to Stream there - I'm still trying to get my setup right (mic, sound etc) but it's a start.
    I had originally set up a Twitch account but Twitch delete your archived streams after 60 days whereasYouTube do not - also, if I was searching for a video of a retro game I'd search YouTube, not twitch.
    Anyhow - if anyone is interested it at https://gaming.youtube.com/channel/UC0W6JPAtxNa4VUpMA1ULGTg
    (Shameless plug - hope that's OK !!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I was only playing Devil's Crush yesterday, that and Soldier Blade, two great games.

I was only playing Devil's Crush yesterday, that and Soldier Blade, two great games.

I was on emulation - have you the original hardware or emulation also ?

deadl0ck wrote: »
    I was on emulation - have you the original hardware or emulation also ?

I have a Core Grafx and an Everdrive, I try to go original hardware when I can.

I have a Core Grafx and an Everdrive, I try to go original hardware when I can.
    Very Nice - what's the difference between the Core Graxf and the PC Engine/TurboGrafx ??

• Advertisement

Size would be the main difference. I just think the Core Grafx looks a whole lot better too, that and the fact that I prefer to buy Japanese games was another reason. There's a nice neat cable available that gives you RGB without have to mod the console.

Advertisement