Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Classic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Showing out of stock on Smyth's too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Think there's a decent chance we could get it, with it being a SCE Japan game. The storage size is the only reason they may not go with it.

Another reason might be because it's sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I'd say the same people that have SNES and NES minis for sale on Adverts for €150 have snapped up the PS1 Classics too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

eddhorse wrote: »
    I'd say the same people that have SNES and NES minis for sale on Adverts for €150 have snapped up the PS1 Classics too.

You'll see them on Adverts for 300 euro at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Inviere

That'll only happen if Sony pull a Nintendo and make these artificially scarce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

This is making me have second thoughts with the order I've placed for a PS-IO

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    This is making me have second thoughts with the order I've placed for a PS-IO

More than likely it's just going to be a locked down Vita TV. If you were going to cancel a PSIO order, you'd be far better buying a 3.60 or less Vita TV as opposed to a PS Classic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Inviere wrote: »
    That'll only happen if Sony pull a Nintendo and make these artificially scarce.

With the fact that it's so close to Christmas and the pre-orders closed after a couple of days that might just happen, I wouldn't bet against it.

With the fact that it's so close to Christmas and the pre-orders closed after a couple of days that might just happen, I wouldn't bet against it.

I wouldn't bet against it either, but hopefully Sony don't play into the hands of scalpers, and make enough of the damn things so that anyone who wants one, gets one. Christmas season though will put that to the test.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've a bad feeling they will just shove 50Hz PAL roms on the system in Europe.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've a bad feeling they will just shove 50Hz PAL roms on the system in Europe.

Are the PS1 downloads on PSN still 50hz over here??

Thinking of cancelling my pre-order as I got some other goodies. I think I need to wait until launch to cancel with Smyths, at that rate if these are scarce and someone wants one they can take it off my hands!

I also saw an article saying that the Classic won't be getting any additional games after launch.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Thinking of cancelling my pre-order as I got some other goodies. I think I need to wait until launch to cancel with Smyths, at that rate if these are scarce and someone wants one they can take it off my hands!

If you've preordered for Home Delivery, you can call Smyths and they'll cancel it for you. If it's Click n Collect, you'll have no shortage of takers who'll want it anyway.
    I also saw an article saying that the Classic won't be getting any additional games after launch.

Seems to be the case. Can't say I'm surprised, it'd greatly add to the initial expense of the unit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

An ad popped up for the Playstation Classic, offering it for $49.99 with free worldwide shipping.
    I smell a rat!
    So, obviously, I didn't order!

I had it pre-ordered from Amazon but cancelled it, figured I'd give it a little time, pick it up in the new year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Are the PS1 downloads on PSN still 50hz over here??

Other than imports that never got a PAL release and a few exceptions like the Resi games, they are all 50Hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's actually shocking.

It's been a while since I played Bully on PS4 but if I remember it has a ghosting effect to it as if it's a PS2 on composite running on a HDTV. Looks like crap especially compared to what emulators can do. It also doesn't help that Bully Scholarship Edition on 360 is a better looking point of reference.

I think it's wise for them to have some sort of filters or anti-aliasing, rather than just standard emulation. I believe they say the PS2 Games are upscaled to 1080p but they don't look it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Other than imports that never got a PAL release and a few exceptions like the Resi games, they are all 50Hz.

Fookin' hell Sony :rolleyes: Might try and preoder a US one of these, just in case...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Fookin' hell Sony :rolleyes: Might try and preoder a US one of these, just in case...

I don't think they will be 50hZ in this day and age, are they that silly?

Everyone generally has 60hz capable HDTVs...

Nintendo didn't in fairness

Fieldog wrote: »

If they just dump the EU roms from the EU PSN store onto the Classic, then yeah, Retr0 could be right and we'll end up with the 50Hz versions. You know your bad when Nintendo make you look bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I would imagine is more to do with legal/licensing and localisation issues, different regions may have had different contracts for the games when first issued and all those EU language localisations aren't available in the NTSC/J versions.

It would be a lot simpler for Sony to maintain as few SKU & firmware images as possible.

Fieldog wrote: »

Yeah surprised and glad Nintendo didn't. But also the developers of the NES and SNES mini hardware were European and knew our plight unlike previous VC iterations. Don't be surprised at how few ****s a US or JAP team gives about Europe. Also it looks like it's using Vita hardware and software so the easy thing to do is just port EU versions of the games.

They are still doing so on PSN with 50 Hz PS2 and PS1 games. I got Metal Slug anthology and it's 50Hz on PS4. and 50Hz causes frame pacing issues on Vita TV and PS4 so there's that to enjoy as well on a 60Hz display.

Metal Slug Anthology on PS4 is completely unplayable. Never should've been released

I at least got a refund for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Anyone any ideas when the rest of the games might be announced for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

Managed to fix that corrupt data issue I had with my Vita after playing Kula World.

I just redownloaded VitaShell in the henkaku menu and all was resolved.

Quite handy that it's in the menu.

Game list revealed:

Battle Arena Toshinden
    Cool Boarders 2
    Destruction Derby
    Final Fantasy VII
    Grand Theft Auto
    Intelligent Qube
    Jumping Flash
    Metal Gear Solid
    Mr Driller
    Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
    Rayman
    Resident Evil Director’s Cut
    Revelations: Persona
    Ridge Racer Type 4
    Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
    Syphon Filter
    Tekken 3
    Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
    Twisted Metal
    Wild Arms

It's quite a poor line up. There's a few good ones there but an awful lot of duds. Persona 1 was butchered in English and is missing literally half the game as it was cut. Then including Resi directors cut which is a butchered version of the original. The music is awful in it. Why they didn't include the original is baffling.

Then there's utter crap like the awful port of rainbow six, toshinden and some badly aged games like destruction derby and twisted metal.

Missed the boat on RPGS. Very bad selection other than ff7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Its gonna be 50hz too, isnt it, what a rip.
    The Japanese one has a good line up.
    Gonna have to buy all 3 of them.

Advertisement