Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Podcasts to listen to while running?

• 17-09-2012 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I do 3-4 one hour runs per week, just general fitness to keep weight off, blood pressure in order etc. I do 5-7 10km 'fun run' type events a year (Pink Run yesterday, Wicklow Gaol Break in March etc) and I'm bored listening to music.

I tried listening to the radio but as I often run between 6:30am and 7:30am there isn't much of a selection. Radio Nova is generally good but I can't stand the DJ on the morning show, Newstalk is OK from 6:30 to 7 (the business section) but I can't stand Chris Donoghue who does the morning show from 7 and RTE1 is like a cure for insomnia.

I'm thinking that maybe the best way to get content worth listening to whilst out running is to download podcasts. I'm into sport (NewTalk Off the Ball is great) and generally into business/economics and biographical type interviews.

Any suggestions as to what Podcast app is best for Android and where to subscribe for automatic Podcast downloads?

Mod: If this is better posted in the Android forum please feel free to move it.

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭rom

Marathon Talk - First few are crap but if you pick the ones with big name guests to start with you will get hooked on the show.
    Ricky Gervais/Karl/Steve - Makes me laugh out loud on my long runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Sounds good ROM, I'll give it a go.

Downloaded the BeyondPod App which looks great and have already subscribed to the Off the Ball Podcast, Football with Johnny Giles etc so hopefully will build up a nice little selection of content to listen to.

I also like comedy so any suggestions for funny podcasts would be well received.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Marathon Talk is good at times.

But I prefer www.imtalk.me and find it more entertaining. Better craic and banter, Bevan is like a big child and John is the adult.

I'm learning German at the moment and listen to the podcasts that are part of the course I'm doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

BenThere wrote: »
    Sounds good ROM, I'll give it a go.

Downloaded the BeyondPod App which looks great and have already subscribed to the Off the Ball Podcast, Football with Johnny Giles etc so hopefully will build up a nice little selection of content to listen to.

I also like comedy so any suggestions for funny podcasts would be well received.

Ben

Big fan of the Off The Ball crew as well. Ken and Eoin are always good for a few laughs on a run. If you like the football podcasts then the Football Weekly podcast on the Guardian website is really good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Talkultra is a good one if you have any interest I'm the ultra world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

jeffontour wrote: »
    I'm the ultra world.
    That's a bit grandiose, isn't it? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

jeffontour wrote: »
    I'm the ultra world.
    That's a bit grandiose, isn't it? ;)

If you don't have confidence in yourself who will? :)

Feckin phone auto correct......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

If you're a fan of useless information (and who isn't?) "Stuff you missed in History Class" is Mr Stew's favourite, worth a listen apparently

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

Make sure it's loud so you can't hear the cars as they hit you

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks for the tip. Normally, I'd keep my mp3 player at a volume sufficiently low that I would hear any potential hazards, but thanks to your advice, I'm going to pump the volume right up, so I am ignorantly blissfully unaware of any potential hazards. You sir, are a scholar and a gent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

I just listened to the TalkUltra show from the Marathon Talk people for the first time.

Now I feel inadequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,861 ✭✭✭✭event

Great post.
    How do you know the op doesn't run on a track or the beach?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

BenThere wrote: »
    I'm into sport (NewTalk Off the Ball is great) and generally into business/economics and biographical type interviews.

Ben

Try My Sporting Life from Talksport. A detailed look at the careers of individual sportspeople with themselves and others as guests. Great for the longer runs, they come in at around 1-1/2 hours. Some great ones from an Irish perspective, Steve Collins, Barry McGuigan, Tony Cascarino.
    Fantastic show.

Advertisement