Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worrisome deal

• 10-08-2018 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi Boardsies,

I would appreciate any advice on my little predicament here ...

So 2 weeks ago I went to view a used car in an independent garage about 100mins drive away in a neighbouring county. Upon test-drive, I took to it immediately and expressed my interest to the dealer. I put down a cash deposit of 200 and he took down enough details to get the finance process going. This was on a Monday. By Wednesday I sent on the requested documents via e-mail. There was a little back n forth for clarification and additional document requests but by Thursday he said to call down to make the downpayment (almost 2000) and sign the finance agreement which I did on Saturday. I was told I'd get my copy of the agreement in the post sometime this week and confirmation to come collect the car.

There was no sign of agreement doc or word from the dealer as of yesterday (Thursday) so I rang him in the afternoon to inquire an update. He said he had sent on my signed docs but hadn't heard back from the lending company. He said he'd ring them. I asked him to send on their number so I could contact them myself as well. He never did but he'd forwarded a correspondence from them to him the previous week so I retrieved their number from there and rang them myself this morning. I was told there was an issue with proof of address, that the address wasn't matching. I countered this by saying I have an email where they explicably confirmed that the proof of address was fine hence me going back down to the dealer to sign the agreement. They just insisted on it and said they'd already informed the dealer and that I should speak with him.

I rang the dealer, no reply. I sent him a text just saying to call him when he has a chance. I rang him again 2 hours later then he replied saying he is on holidays till Monday.

I'm pretty worried now that there's some shenanigans going on here either with the lending company, dealer or both. I haven't replied to his text yet but part of me just wants to tell him I'm not interested in the car anymore. It's gone on for 2 weeks now. A friend got a car recently and all he had to provide was 3 months bank statement and bank details n he was driving his new ride 3 days later.

Any advice on how best to proceed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Is this a main garage or a lad in van at side of road?

Who is the finance company?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Shine2018

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Is this a main garage or a lad in van at side of road?

Who is the finance company?

It's a proper garage. I'm not sure wha constitutes "main". There's no fancy reception or anything like that.

They're called Bluestone.

Shine2018 wrote: »
    It's a proper garage. I'm not sure wha constitutes "main". There's no fancy reception or anything like that.

They're called Bluestone.

I mean does it have a Toyota or car manufacturer assigned to it.....that is a main dealer

Or it is a large garage with offices proper office etc

Or just a car lot with a small office......

I mean does it have a Toyota or car manufacturer assigned to it.....that is a main dealer

Or it is a large garage with offices proper office etc

Or just a car lot with a small office......

The bolded fits best.

The bolded fits best.

I understand now why alarm bells.

Sorry I seen you paid more....

Not sure what to do....hold on and ring on Monday......

I would not get too stressed yet

• Advertisement

I understand now why alarm bells.

You have only paid 200 so far?

No, I've paid 2100 thus far.

Yeah I edited....

Not sure why such a big deposit

When I done finance recently. I gave them address/bank details/maybe a copy of bill. Two hours later they rang with approval and I paid everything the day I picked up car...I think I maybe had a 200 quid deposit or something....

Maybe someone else knows more....but I didnt put down anything like 2k

Was it cash or via Bank? the 2k?

Bluestone is not a dealer. It's a finance company. Scumbag sub-prime high interest lenders.

Any link to the dealer/advert for the car you're buying? Most places providing finance like that are selling on less than optimal stock. Might be worth getting a few heads here to have a look into it for you.

Yeah I edited....

Not sure why such a big deposit

When I done finance recently. I gave them address/bank details/maybe a copy of bill. Two hours later they rang with approval and I paid everything the day I picked up car...I think I maybe had a 200 quid deposit or something....

Maybe someone else knows more....but I didnt put down anything like 2k

Was it cash or via Bank? the 2k?

It was in cash. Yeah, I'm going to wait till Monday afternoon to give him a ring if he doesn't contact me first.
    JayZeus wrote: »
    Bluestone is not a dealer. It's a finance company. Scumbag sub-prime high interest lenders.

Any link to the dealer/advert for the car you're buying? Most places providing finance like that are selling on less than optimal stock. Might be worth getting a few heads here to have a look into it for you.

I was about to say no, cus I noticed he marked the car as sold few days after I paid the deposit but I just checked now again and there it is on donedeal. Put up 2 days ago!!!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-rio-2015/19500614

He's most likely lying about being on holidays as well cus there was no mention of that when I spoke to him yesterday.

It was in cash. Yeah, I'm going to wait till Monday afternoon to give him a ring if he doesn't contact me first.

I was about to say no, cus I noticed he marked the car as sold few days after I paid the deposit but I just checked now again and there it is on donedeal. Put up 2 days ago!!!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-rio-2015/19500614

He's most likely lying about being on holidays as well cus there was no mention of that when I spoke to him yesterday.

Probably is on holiday and using the cash to pay for it. Then when he comes back will sort out the paperwork.

I wouldn't be overly concerned at the moment. Ring on Monday. He will probably come up with some excuse for delay of contracts and then put them in....

Small companies will use cash like that

• Advertisement

Probably is on holiday and using the cash to pay for it. Then when he comes back will sort out the paperwork.

I wouldn't be overly concerned at the moment. Ring on Monday. He will probably come up with some excuse for delay of contracts and then put them in....

But the holiday, true or false does not explain him putting the car up for sale again 2 days ago. Something must have happened with the lender. If he hadn't heard from them like he claimed, I can't imagine what else would prompt him to advertise the car again.

I'm going to wait till Monday still.At least I have that one date in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I wouldn't read into the ad going back up too much. Most dealers have automatic renewal of ads through their donedeal account, that and you may find they might be using that ad just to drum up interest if they dont have a lot of stock and if you were to call about it they'd say "that one is actually sold, but I have a similar blue one/ a 2013 one coming in next week" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,347 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

But the holiday, true or false does not explain him putting the car up for sale again 2 days ago. Something must have happened with the lender. If he hadn't heard from them like he claimed, I can't imagine what else would prompt him to advertise the car again.

Get a friend to contact him from a different number, and check if he is on holidays to someone buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tobdom

What's going to have changed between now & Monday based on what the financing company said?... He's just putting you off. I wouldn't worry so much about the car being advertised again, he might have a similar one coming in and he's just trying to drum up a bit of business ("Well the one in that ad now is actually sold but I have one just like it coming in next week....").

Ring him from a landline (or have someone else ring), or text him from another mobile saying you're interested in X car and when would be best to call about it..... You'll soon be able to call bull**** properly on his holiday story depending on the kind of response you get.

I'm assuming you have some kind of receipt for the 2k cash deposit?.....

ETA: 2 previous posts bet me to the same advice/opinion while I was typing......

Dealer put ad back up to save paying for a new one....

I wouldn't worry about that....he will just say he is sourcing another car with same spec and was just checking to see if anyone interested...

You have to remember this is not a main dealer. Even the cost of donedeal has to be kept to minimum.

tobdom wrote: »
    What's going to have changed between now & Monday based on what the financing company said?... He's just putting you off. I wouldn't worry so much about the car being advertised again, he might have a similar one coming in and he's just trying to drum up a bit of business ("Well the one in that ad now is actually sold but I have one just like it coming in next week....").

Ring him from a landline (or have someone else ring), or text him from another mobile saying you're interested in X car and when would be best to call about it..... You'll soon be able to call bull**** properly on his holiday story depending on the kind of response you get.

I'm assuming you have some kind of receipt for the 2k cash deposit?.....

ETA: 2 previous posts bet me to the same advice/opinion while I was typing......

Yeah, i'm going to get someone else to ring him.

I actually didn't get a receipt for the 2k. I copped right after I left that I should've requested one. I only have a receipt for the initial 200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Yeah, i'm going to get someone else to ring him.

I actually didn't get a receipt for the 2k. I copped right after I left that I should've requested one. I only have a receipt for the initial 200.

Jesus Christ. You are at the mercy of his good nature now. If he denies receiving it, you have a problem on your hands.

terrydel wrote: »
    Jesus Christ. You are at the mercy of his good nature now. If he denies receiving it, you have a problem on your hands.

Let's not overly stress the OP either. It's very unlikely they are going to do a runner with his money. Particularly if they are working from an established site. It's not like he met them in a Tesco car park.

My friend called; the holiday story is definitely BS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭2cool4school

uh-oh...

• Advertisement

You’re in for trouble so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Ask your friend to arrange a viewing tomorrow, for that car.
    Instead,go down yourself and get your money back
    Bring a bit of help with you.

What do people thing is going to happen here? The dealer is going to deny receiving the money and ask the OP to PFO? Call me naive but that seems unlikely, really.

Sure he's a bit scatty, a blatant liar, dealing with a dodgy financial company selling ex UK stock but I doubt he will steal the deposit, that's a different kind of deceit that isn't usually conducted at a fixed premises.

What do people thing is going to happen here? The dealer is going to deny receiving the money and ask the OP to PFO? Call me naive but that seems unlikely, really.

Sure he's a bit scatty, a blatant liar, dealing with a dodgy financial company selling ex UK stock but I doubt he will steal the deposit, that's a different kind of deceit that isn't usually conducted at a fixed premises.

I agree, I can't see him doing a runner if he has a fixed office.

I would go to his location and talk to him. Over the phone is pointless.

Any issues...bringing help with you is pointless....ring the Garda.

Did you at least take the money out of an account that you can show a big lump sum 2k coming out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

If I were you OP, seeing as you don't have a receipt for the 2k, I'd download a call recording app onto my phone (free from the play store) and at least try to get him to verbally state through conversation that there was an exchange of the 2k between the pair of you. That way if he denies it at a future date at least you have an audio recording of him stating the exchange of money took place. Such a recording might not stand up in court or anything, I have no idea, but it may be enough to prompt the refund if he starts getting forgetful and you remind him of said recording.

ThunderCat wrote: »
    If I were you OP, seeing as you don't have a receipt for the 2k, I'd download a call recording app onto my phone (free from the play store) and at least try to get him to verbally state through conversation that there was an exchange of the 2k between the pair of you. That way if he denies it at a future date at least you have an audio recording of him stating the exchange of money took place. Such a recording might not stand up in court or anything, I have no idea, but it may be enough to prompt the refund if he starts getting forgetful and you remind him of said recording.

You need to tell the person you are recording the call.

Also it beeps as far as I know so they will know even if you dont tell them

Seeing as the OP has no receipt and no record of anything better off trying to deal with the person that automatically getting them on wrong foot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Personally I hate these places with "Trade Sales" in their Business Name. Usually just an excuse to offer fairly clean high-mileage Cars without a Warranty.

Mostly UK Auction or Irish trade-ins that the Main Dealer wanted off his premises for half what it's on sale for now.
    This particular Car isn't even showing as 'Sold to a Dealer' on motortax.ie, which is a bit worrying as any stock these guys source from a Main Dealer will have been electronically passed to the main dealer.
    This may have been a trade-in taken by the Seller himself.....which makes you wonder why the previous owner did a deal here. There's nothing currently on the guy's site that would be anything remotely like an obvious choice to replace a 2015 Rio with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

You need to tell the person you are recording the call.

Also it beeps as far as I know so they will know even if you dont tell them

Seeing as the OP has no receipt and no record of anything better off trying to deal with the person that automatically getting them on wrong foot

No you don't. Only one party has to give consent to the recording of the phone call. In this case it's obviously the OP.
    As long as one of the two parties involved in the dispute are part of the conversation then it is perfectly legal to record the conversation.

See post #14;

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057712374

I have a call recording app on my phone and it definitely does not beep (at either person's end) when recording.

edit; BTW I didn't intend to have a go at yourself Shefwedfan. I was just letting the OP know the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What’s the apr on the finance deal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Any issues...bringing help with you is pointless....ring the Garda.

Unless the handover of 2k was witnessed by a third party or captured on cctv, involving the Guards is fairly pointless too. One man's word against another can only result in the matter being left to civil remedy.

I think the OP's got themselves in a bit of a tizzy here & just sitting tight for a couple of days will likely see it all resolved.

Advertisement