Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double-glazing prices

• 04-11-2008 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Does anyone have a rough idea of how much double-glazing for your average house is and also how much a double-glazed porch door would be? Don't want to approach a company directly as we had once asked a company for a quote for one window and had them on the phone every week after that for nearly three years asking us if we were interested in quotes for anything and everything. Don't want a pushy salesperson, just a rough idea.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

You'll probably get a better answer from the helpful folk on the DIY forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 KevinC

I've gone with these: www.wws.ie
    it is not installed yet so I dont know about service. Price was keen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

It obviously depends on the size, accessability, style, etc but you're roughly looking at about €700 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

T-Maxx wrote: »
    It obviously depends on the size, accessability, style, etc but you're roughly looking at about €700 each.

It was for me about €750 for sashe windows and the normal windows about €500. Now my windows are about 6' x 3' on the sashe and 4' x 3' for the rest.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I got a quote for 5 windows and a single back door for a garage from munster joinery, came in at €1400 supplied and fitted. They are basic double glazed with 1 opening per window, sizes 2 no. 6' x 4' , 2 no. 4' x 4' and 1 no. 2' x 3'. I thought it was a good price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

rustynutz wrote: »
    I got a quote for 5 windows and a single back door for a garage from munster joinery, came in at €1400 supplied and fitted. They are basic double glazed with 1 opening per window, sizes 2 no. 6' x 4' , 2 no. 4' x 4' and 1 no. 2' x 3'. I thought it was a good price.

Sounds cheap! I know someone just quoted 2400 to retrofit 3 pvc Windows on the front of a semi-d.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

it really depends on who you go with, we had 3 quotes for the front and side of our house and front door which ranged from 3500 to 8000 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I ordered 5 windows, 4 standard 5 x 5, 2 openings and one 8 x 5, 3 openings, from Munster Joinery yesterday. 1100 euro plus 30 - 50 euro per window for fitting. Was well pleased with that! :D

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 25 InFrame

TopTec wrote: »
    I ordered 5 windows, 4 standard 5 x 5, 2 openings and one 8 x 5, 3 openings, from Munster Joinery yesterday. 1100 euro plus 30 - 50 euro per window for fitting. Was well pleased with that! :D

TT

TT, were you happy with your windows in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

They were ok, not brilliant but OK. The finish on the seals are not 100%, there is little bits of some sort of sealer protruding between glass and frame, and some of the black seals are not perfectly seated.

Not enough to cause a complaint but slightly irritating - a casual finish in the factory is the cause.

I wanted to fit them myself but was told that they would not guarentee them if I did so I agreed to pay for the fitters to do them. Bad decision. The fitting was shoddy, unfinished and 3 of the windows leaked inside. Only one window was mechanically fixed, the others glued with foam and sealant.

I had agreed for them not to do any finish on the inside as I still have building work to do. But when they left, none of the outside was cleaned or any of the protective wrapping removed.

I have rectified the problems myself. I would not have those fitters back again. I have asked for some UPVc solvent to clean them myself but I have had no response from the second fitter who came out.

Would I buy from them again? I probably would but I would be far more picky over minor issues, not make the final payment until all was completed and I certainly woudn't have those fitters back again.

TT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 InFrame

Thanks for the response TT. That's good advice about withholding final payment. We had windows fitted in the house before and they weren't done properly and one smashed all over the sitting room floor! :eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

its interesting the lack of mention of performance. apart from toptec's comments on window seals.

when your looking at windows you should be asking for what the :
    • overall U-value is (imo this must be at least 1.2 W/m2k)
    • and what certification they provide (this should be to passive house and EN standards or at the very least to the crap (imho) A rated WEP standards
    • how they propose to install them (to achieving air-tightness & reduce thermal bridging) - really your architect should be advising you
    • what the guarantee is - what the procedure is if you have a complaint are they Irish or will you be ring Sweden with your issues!!
    • what their permaVents are like, if required
    • how long is the lead-in time
    • etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lav1974

Can anyone out there give us some advice re really badly fitted double glazed UPVC windows and composite door? Or could anyone recommend where or who would be able to sort them out for us. Can these be removed and re-fitted properly? Does anyone have any idea how much this would cost?

We had the windows fitted about 4years ago by a builder who did some work for us and the door was fitted 3years ago by a different glazier from Wexford. This year we have noticed that we are getting considerable draughts around the top of the door and around the windows and the sound insulation is really bad compared to the single glazed windows and wooden door we had before these new ones were fitted.

We are guessing its mainly due to how they were fitted, we can see that the white plastic sealant that was used is coming away in many places around both the door and windows.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated

Advertisement