Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

^ great book!

Off for a month to Europe, enjoy the rainy weather here in Ireland. :D Ill be looking forward to Dresden after Slaughterhouse 5.

Will be reading The Heart of the Matter; On The Road (cliche, huh?), A Farewell to Arms and The Trial while on the trains.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Just started 'Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee'

Hope I get to finish it before school starts. My inner child keeps saying bury my fart at wounded gee though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Tawfee

Just back from hols where i read French Revolutions by Tim Moore (very funny), Waiting for the Barbarians by JM Coetzee (great read as usual from Mr. Coetzee) & The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks which was nearly unputdownable! Now reading The Discovery of France by Graham Robb (hols were in France but this one was too heavy to put in the panniers).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Tawfee wrote: »
    The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks which was nearly unputdownable!

Love that book. The only book I have read more than once!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Buzz_Cagney

On he Road by Jack Kerouac, its a fun read but is taking me a lot longer to read then most other books. i think its all the detail :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭minusorange

The Trial by Franz Kafka

Kafka died before completing this. It's strange reading an absurd head-spinner knowing it's gonna end before it even makes sense of itself. Good fun though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts

... im almost finished! Epic stuff....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Rock and a Hard Place by Stephen J Martin.

Hilariously written and very easy to relate to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

chris jericho - a lions tale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Tawfee

Brilliant Orange by David Winner

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 MickBeth

Finished The Van last week.......

I must say it has fantastic insight on the strugle faced by family men on
    the dole and the embarsement and shame faced by them in the reflection's of there famileys.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Started Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris over the weekend. It's the first in the Sookie Stackhouse series (made into the True Blood TV series).

It's a nice light read, fairly witty & a page turner so far.
    I'll probably stick with it through the whole series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Withdrawn_Sean

I thought I'd try my hand at some greek literature so I decided to give The Odyssey by Homer a go. It's ****, utterly boring and depressingly repetitive. On principle, I always finish a book once I've started it, but this one is pushing my belief to the limit. I cannot wait to get it out of the way so I can get started on some Camus again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Tawfee wrote: »
    Just back from hols where i read French Revolutions by Tim Moore (very funny)

I've just finished reading it for a second time.

Two descriptions of how he looked struggling up steep hills: "looking like Stephen Roche on La Plagne and sounding like Stephen Hawking at La Scala"; "looking like Bernard Hinault giving birth to a cement mixer"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭This_Years_Love

Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭randomguy

About to start Black List Section H by Francis Stuart. Not sure what I'm going to make of it. A strange man with a dubious way of looking at morality by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Im over half way through "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak.... different to say the least!

Horseracing And Racing Society: Who belongs and how it works by Jocelyn de Moubray (1985)

Written at/before the author was twenty-three, and after education at Eton, University of York (not sure he completed), and two years travelling in the sahara.

It is very readable. I like the first names in his family: Crispin; Amicia; Daphne.

Last week I read

Outliers: the story of success by Malcolm Gladwell.

Chapters
    1. The Matthew Effect. How birthdays affect sporting success.
    2. The 10,000 Hour Rule. You need to practice to be expert.
    3. 4. The Trouble with Geniuses. Skills are needed, not just IQ.
    5. The Three Lessons Of Joe Flom. Success for Jews in NY garment/legal explained.
    6. Harlan, Kentucky. Hillbilly feuding inherited from European ancestors.
    7. Ethnic Theory Of Plane Crashes: Native culture of flight crew responsible.
    8. Rice Paddies And Maths Tests. Why Asians are better at maths.
    9. Marita's Bargain. Bronx super high school, poor kids working harder.

Cliche time "I couldn't put it down".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

The Last Oracle by James Rollins

It's really good so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

The Dunkard's Walk: How randomness rules our lives" - Leonard Mlodonow

A really really easy to read guide to probability and how things are a lot more random than we think. I found it fascinating and I think I will take stats in the media with more or a pinch of salt.

I would definitely recommend it. One of the most readable "popular science" books I have read in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

You Shall Know Our Velocity by Dave Eggers

Missed three stops on my bus reading it. First thing I picked up after Infinite Jest, and it's not Infinite Jest, but I'm really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

I finished "We Need To Talk About Kevin" by Lionel Shriver.

It took me an absolute age. The first 200 pages are a struggle, I kept putting it off and reading graphic novels instead. Kevin's mother is a self-important shrew - but as the book develops and Kevin becomes older, it starts to get more interesting/disturbing and you're up until 2am trying to finish it.

That said, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. I can imagine it having more of an impact when it was published in 2003. Still, there's some interesting questions here based on nature vs. nurture so I can see why it seems to be so popular with book clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Hurry on Down by John Wain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭pinkheels88

Finished the Country Girls (Part one of trilogy) by Edna O'Brien - LOVE it, Babas a bitch, but everyone had a friend like her as a child.

On Flann O'Brien 'The Third Policeman' now - waaaay too philosophical for my liking - not really interested in De Selbys theories. :( However I can appreciate the humor of some parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Just started 'You Got Nothing Coming' by Jimmy Lerner. I seem to have a bit of an obsession with US prisons so enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

half way thru Les Miz - Victor Hugo

I have seen musical a couple of times and the movie with Liam Neeson, so I know the story, but the book has been on my shelf for years and I have never read it.

Its Brilliant - which is my folks still read it a couple of hundred years later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Reading a Collection of Edgar Allan Poe tales. Tough going but well worth it. This man had some grasp of the english language. Stories are dark and grotty with a side order of tension. :)

'Murders in the Rue Morgue' is absolutely fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭This_Years_Love

I've just started reading the first chapter of 206 Bones by Kathy Reichs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Well, it took me about 3 months, but I finally finished Ulysses!!

To be honest I am glad to see the back of it.

Next, Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha.

I just can't wait to see some syntax and punctuation!

Advertisement