Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machine Head Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The weird thing is that Kontos and Mader are only playing the BME part of the concert. The rest will be played by Robb, jared and "two other ragers". WTF?

Part I - will feature a battery of MACHINE HEAD’s modern classics, such as ‘Imperium,’ ‘Halo,’ and, ‘The Blood, The Sweat, The Tears,’ featuring frontman/guitarist Robb Flynn and bassist Jared MacEachern performing alongside two, soon-to-be-announced ragers on guitar and drums.

Part II - will feature the Bay Area band’s classic debut album, ‘Burn My Eyes’ played in its entirety for the first time ever. And if somehow this historical event could not be monumental enough, taking the stage for this part of the set will be ‘Burn My Eyes’-era alumni and MACHINE HEAD’s original drummer Chris Kontos and original guitarist Logan Mader.

Real pity they couldn't patch things up with Duce also.

But I'm a big Kontos fan; that entire album for me redefined metal drumming. But very interested to hear if he still has the chops.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

One would have to suspect they will be two known musicians. Will Slayers tour have concluded by the time this kicks off? Would not surprise me to see Holt as one of the two if it is. Meh, dont care anyway, got me ticket this morning and trying to decide whether to upgrade to the VIP package.

After Slayer's tour has wrapped, I selfishly want Gary to focus his attention on a new Exodus album, it's been 5 years since Blood In, Blood Out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭s8n

are standing for the olympia sold out ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 BigPoppaDump

They've already sold out the Paris and London gigs so I'd say so.

So they've decided to re-record Burn My Eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    So they've decided to re-record Burn My Eyes.

Not sure what the purpose of re-recording it is. Maybe a quick cash-in, or some type of copyright trick to cut Adam Duce out of the profits???!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dargull

I just think it’s a live in studio recording of all the tracks on Burn My Eyes that they’ll drip feed on to YouTube to keep the interest in the tour up. From what Flynn is saying I don’t think it’ll get an official release.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Not sure what the purpose of re-recording it is. Maybe a quick cash-in, or some type of copyright trick to cut Adam Duce out of the profits???!!!

Yes. Albums, like movies, aren't pulling in the money anymore so reissues, remakes etc are safer investments.

I'd be less interested in who is filling in for mcclain and demmel then why they are gone in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

...why they are gone in the first place.

Catharsis is why they are gone!

Catharsis is why they are gone!

But, did Flynn accept material from them and blame it on the album failing, or did they quit because his one man show was going down the toilet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

But, did Flynn accept material from them and blame it on the album failing, or did they quit because his one man show was going down the toilet?

They claim it was because they disagreed with the direction the band was going.

To be fair from what I see with those studio recordings I'm not too bothered, they sound great.

Matt Alston is the new drummer, and Vogg from Decapitated is the new guitarist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Set list from the Freiburg gig last night, the first 15 alone would be a smashing gig never mind throwing BME onto the end, really looking forward to this.

Imperium
    Take My Scars
    Now We Die
    Beautiful Mourning
    Clenching the Fists of Dissent
    Locust
    I Am Hell (Sonata in C#)
    Aesthetics of Hate
    Guitar Solo
    Darkness Within
    Catharsis
    From This Day
    Ten Ton Hammer
    Is There Anybody Out There?
    Halo

Real Eyes, Realize, Real Lies
    Davidian
    Old
    A Thousand Lies
    (preceeded by short drum solo)
    None but My Own
    The Rage to Overcome
    Death Church
    A Nation on Fire
    Blood for Blood
    I'm Your God Now
    Block

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/machine-head/2019/sick-arena-freiburg-germany-39c659b.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Going to this tomorrow in Tilburg :)

Was a top night, yeah first set alone would have been satisfactory at that but then to top it off with the first album in full, unreal.

Quality shifts put in by all the musicians involved it has to be said, must be some long slog for Jared and more so Robb :D

They started at 20:10 and finished at 23:30 so needless to say when it comes over here I'd expect it'll likely be a 19:30 start to comply with curfew.

Only change I think from the first show posted there was Bulldozer was played instead of Clenching.

Wish I could make the Dublin show too now but it isn't possible.

Enjoy whoever hits Dublin or Belfast I've no doubt they'll deliver again.

Oh Robb....

72328707_2724091077621940_2782544268370116608_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQlMoPQKMT2XnrcEIa-bzfsos2e4yY1IzG017S8K2ON4Xnap-GcSEdjsuc6rk2OawtY&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=da981114e1062da2c826422aa7e9473f&oe=5E2EC9F8

Oh dear...

Oh dear...

Christmas & New Year's all rolled into one for the internet trolls, he's old enough to know better, but still he's dumb enough to fall for it.

Christmas & New Year's all rolled into one for the internet trolls, he's old enough to know better, but still he's dumb enough to fall for it.

He is his own worst enemy.

He's slowly getting to this stage...

297.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dargull

Oh Robb....

72328707_2724091077621940_2782544268370116608_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQlMoPQKMT2XnrcEIa-bzfsos2e4yY1IzG017S8K2ON4Xnap-GcSEdjsuc6rk2OawtY&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=da981114e1062da2c826422aa7e9473f&oe=5E2EC9F8

A 52 year old man wrote this statement if you can believe that!

Dargull wrote: »
    A 52 year old man wrote this statement if you can believe that!

That's what's absolutely hilarious about it, a man who's been in the music business since '86 with Vio-lence, and '91 onwards with Machine Head - You'd think he'd be well used to people criticizing/being opinionated, then again times were different back then.

You'd be embarrassed that he's allowed a small minority to get under his skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

That's what's absolutely hilarious about it, a man who's been in the music business since '86 with Vio-lence, and '91 onwards with Machine Head - You'd think he'd be well used to people criticizing/being opinionated, then again times were different back then.

You'd be embarrassed that he's allowed a small minority to get under his skin.

I once interviewed Robb. In 2010. He ripped me a new asshole for suggesting he liked country music, and that the Eagles - whom he was a fan of - were a Country band. He debated that for over 10 minutes, spoiled most of our interview time and reacted like a child.

I've never forgotten that. He seemed like someone, one to one, who couldn't accept the opinions of others he didn't agree with. There I was, a no name Journalist (and also a fan) who had made a simple observation based on an article where Robb was quoted in Kerrang.

I still feel the Eagles are a country band. At least in part.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Oh my...

I've never forgotten that. He seemed like someone, one to one, who couldn't accept the opinions of others he didn't agree with. There I was, a no name Journalist (and also a fan) who had made a simple observation based on an article where Robb was quoted in Kerrang.

Yeah it appears that still rings through, he refers that its a message to trolls in that statement however the comments he seems to take issue with are the likes of...

"Can't hear anything other than Dopes Die MF Die during the Die MF Die part of the song, but heyo".

"Same Lyricist as The Blackening and Unto the Locust,do you believe it?"

"Lyrics are a bit embarrassing tbh"

These are hardly trolls are they? merely people sharing genuine opinion by the looks of things...opinion that Robb Flynn does not like!

Contrasting his lyrics to "Run Your Mouth When I'm...." I'd imagine is the most pointless thing I'll read all week and I'm pretty sure the heads are banging when those riffs hit.

FFIW The Eagles definitely dabbled in Folk and Country ;)

And now Edsel Dope, the front-man for Dope has fired back at Robb...
    Yesterday, Robb Flynn took to Instagram to publicly asked the question “Who the **** listens to Dope”?

Then today, he fired another shot at our band by posting a photo of himself, posing with a fan who was wearing a Dope shirt, with an unflattering caption.

As a grown-ass man, I feel slightly obligated to acknowledge these 2 separate shots. Truth is, I like Machine Head. Killer band, big ****ing draw!!

If the two bands ever share the stage again, Dope would undoubtedly go on before Machine Head.
    Much respect!

That’s not the question.The question was: “Who the **** listens to Dope”?
    Well Robb, with Spotify being the place where the majority of the listeners go these days, the answer to your question is actually quantifiable.

Check it out..
    Dope Monthly listeners on Spotify: 1,238,355
    Machine Head Monthly listeners on Spotify: 1,208.667
    Pretty ****ing close brother.

Only about 30,000 plays separate our two bands from month to month, so it’s quite fair to say that allot of “mother ****ers” are listening to both Machine Head and Dope on Spotify.
    Slightly more for Dope, but I digress…

I guess it would also be fair to mention that the Dope song that everyone, including Robb is now talking about, “Die Mother ****er Die” has about 30 million more plays on Spotify than any song that Robb has actually written or released.

I’m not talking ****! That’s not who I am.
    I really don’t have anything negative to say about Robb.
    These are just the facts.

We never said that the new Machine Head song was derivative of Dopes “Die Mother ****er Die”
    Actually, we never said ****!!

I don’t own the phrase Die Mother ****er Die.. It is a commonly used arrangement of ignorant words that will continue to be recycled for years to come.
    Have at it bro!

In the end, I can’t help that people associate the phrase with Dope.
    Dopes “Die Mother ****er Die” has been around for almost 20 years and it has racked up more than 60 million plays on Spotify. The US Military adopted the song into training and tactical drills, so any soldier under the age of 40 is familiar with our jam, especially if they served in Iraq.

It is what it is and Dope certainly didn’t instigate this nonsense.

Dope is on tour, in Vienna and we weren't even aware that Machine Head put out a new song until my phone started blowing up from people sharing Robbs Instagram rant, which unmistakably and unnecessarily singled Dope out at the end.

I wasn’t even gonna address it. Then he came at us again today.
    It’s just silly.

I’ve always had respect for Robb.
    He is a prolific artist and he says what he feels.

I respect that. However, I’m not really sure what he hoped to accomplish by calling out Dope, not once but twice in the last couple days.

In closing, I hope that I’ve answered his question and I further hope that we’ve heard the last of this “Die Mother ****er Die” high school drama.

Edsel Dope
    # respect

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Watch the show the other night, was well impressed with the bands stamina, but did find myself getting a bit bored during the set

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

New "three track single" out today. Become the Firestorm is a proper banger \m/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Machine Head have just announced a co-headline tour for 2022 with Amon Amarth. Hitting the Three Arena on 13th September, tickets arent showing on TM yet but the show is listed on their site. Support is from The Halo Effect.

Advertisement