Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

This might be of interest for some: I got a text from Applegreen, they are offering a new vegan sausage roll for €1 until May 19:
    https://www.buzz.ie/food-drink/applegreen-introduced-vegan-sausage-rolls-325137

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Space Dog wrote: »
    This might be of interest for some: I got a text from Applegreen, they are offering a new vegan sausage roll for €1 until May 19:

Some time ago there were vegan croissants in Applegreen near me. They looked a little, ermm, 'grey' unfortunately - but were delicious, really really good! I only saw them the one time. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Space Dog wrote: »

I was walking around celbridge last week (funeral) looking for vegan food and walked by an Applegreen but instantly dismissed it would have anything:(

Damn.

Eddie rockets for the summer (might be just a trial) are doing the beyond meat burger

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Did some aul blood tests, all the vitamins, cholesterol etc are perfect. I always go to check my iron especially due to me absorbing more than other people, but that's grand too.
    Always good to check before bothering to supplement anything. I supplement Vit D and even at that it was still close to being low, said she always sees people with it far too low, a third of mine.

• Advertisement

I supplement Vit D and even at that it was still close to being low, said she always sees people with it far too low, a third of mine.

After the disastrous summers of '15 and '16 I had bloods done in May '17 and my D levels didn't even register. I took a D supplement for a year and of course last year's summer was incredible, so I have fewer worries now.

What's the most common symptoms of D deficiency? Has anyone here ever experienced them?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Update of sort on lab-grown meat. And on whale hunting. :(

https://imgur.com/gallery/pHJcjoo

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah I don't like that, I view it as an initial step.

Ryanair now doing vegan food. Lasagne that is vegan and gluten free for €6 on Ryanair, never thought I'd see the day. Bringing veganism to all new heights, ho ho. The initial review I've heard from somebody is that is actually really nice too, surprisingly.

Ryanair_vegan-page.jpg

had a couple of these, delicious!

A new all vegan market is in Stephen's Green shopping centre called Veganic, it's beside Golden Discs. They sell all sorts

Unearthly wrote: »
    A new all vegan market is in Stephen's Green shopping centre called Veganic, it's beside Golden Discs. They sell all sorts

Is it a permanent fixture or only on certain days ?

• Advertisement

Is it a permanent fixture or only on certain days ?

Permanent :)

Open Mon, Tues, Weds, Fri, Sat 9am-7pm, Thurs til 9pm, Sun 11am-6pm

Centra hot counter has launched a few items such as vegan sausage rolls

https://www.98fm.com/lifestyle/centra-vegan-deli-892835

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Unearthly wrote: »
    Centra hot counter has launched a few items such as vegan sausage rolls

https://www.98fm.com/lifestyle/centra-vegan-deli-892835

Had the sausage roll in applegreen on the way up to Dublin yesterday. Have to say I like it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

For the first time in years, today I saw a small herd of cattle with their horns fully grown. It made me happy, even though I don't know what will happen to them, but at least the pain of having their horns burnt when they were calves was spared to them. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

New Home wrote: »
    For the first time in years, today I saw a small herd of cattle with their horns fully grown. It made me happy, even though I don't know what will happen to them, but at least the pain of having their horns burnt when they were calves was spared to them. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense...

I get what you're saying new home - however one of the principle reasons for stopping horns growing is welfare - to prevent cattle hurting each other when they are fully grown ie when they puck and play fight between themselves etc. It is also required under current legislation.
    Disbudding of calves is carried out to comply with Regulations under the Diseases of Animals Act, (1966) which prohibits the sale or export of horned animals. Disbudding procedures must be carried out in compliance with the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act (1965). Currently the legislation concerning dehorning of cattle requires that once calves are over two weeks of age disbudding may only be performed using with local anaesthesia. It is illegal to disbud a calf over two weeks old without using a local anaesthetic.

Like the spraying and neutering of pets - when the procedure is done correctly ime it should not cause the animal any significant stress or other problems. I do agree with you though - there's something nice about seeing cattle with a nice set of horns

After the UK trial, KFC are now doing a trial in US with 'Beyond Fried Chicken'

Sold out in 5 hours!

There is a picture online of a big queue waiting to get it

My local Tesco had Quorn "Steak and Gravy" pies on special offer this evening - a box of 2 for 77c!!! They have too much black pepper for my taste (I don't like black pepper at all), but they're pretty tasty.

A farmer on this forum thinking 100million pigs dying is a god’s send to them.

None of them correct him.

And they want people to feel sorry for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Tilikum17 wrote: »

If you felt so strongly about it why didn't you correct him instead of screenshotting it & coming over to the V&V forum to show off your outrage.
    It's a persons opinion, not the opinion of every single farmer in the world. And just like you or I are allowed opinions & freedom of speech, they are too.

If you felt so strongly about it why didn't you correct him instead of screenshotting it & coming over to the V&V forum to show off your outrage.
    It's a persons opinion, not the opinion of every single farmer in the world. And just like you or I are allowed opinions & freedom of speech, they are too.

I can just imagine the replies I would have received if I did.

I can just imagine the replies I would have received if I did.

Why ever not? It's a well moderated forum - pretty much like here. Genuinely such concerns dont seem to have stopped you previously

Link

And more

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

It's because all these animals mean to farmers is money. They might as well have a euro sign stamped on their backs. It's the primary motivation. It's not about the basic rights of other living beings, it's just business.

I'm sure someone will be along to counteract me any moment now, as it seems this forum is no longer a place for vegans/veggies to talk amongst themselves, it's a place where are views and thoughts are constantly set upon by farmers and meat eaters.

It's because all these animals mean to farmers is money. They might as well have a euro sign stamped on their backs. It's the primary motivation. It's not about the basic rights of other living beings, it's just business.

I'm sure someone will be along to counteract me any moment now, as it seems this forum is no longer a place for vegans/veggies to talk amongst themselves, it's a place where are views and thoughts are constantly set upon by farmers and meat eaters.

Indeed.

I’ve noticed a big difference in the moderation of the farming forum and this one.

Farming forum has very strict moderation. Non farmer contributions are unwelcome and harshly treated and accused of trolling or just plain unwelcome. I’ve seen threads closed almost immediately.

Farmers seem to have more of a free reign here without their views been seen as trolling. Definitely feels like double standards.

It's because all these animals mean to farmers is money. They might as well have a euro sign stamped on their backs. It's the primary motivation. It's not about the basic rights of other living beings, it's just business. I'm sure someone will be along to counteract me any moment now, as it seems this forum is no longer a place for vegans/veggies to talk amongst themselves, it's a place where are views and thoughts are constantly set upon by farmers and meat eaters.

Not so. Animal welfare and care is a huge part of farming, especially in Ireland - where have legislation and regulations which cover a lot more than just 'basic rights'. Farmers care for their animals not just because they have to - but because it's the right thing to do. Where there are exceptions - then that needs to be dealt with and not used to beat everyone up.

However if farming is being referred to and as a previous poster pointed out - all are tarred with the same brush - pretty much as in your comment - then of course others are going to reply. Boards is a discussion forum and not an echo chamber as far as I'm aware.

Tbh it would be fair to say if maintaining courtesy, respect, and exercising tolerance of opposing views is difficult, then discussion on public forum could definitely be difficult. But hey there we go.

Edited - forgot to include above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Indeed.

I’ve noticed a big difference in the moderation of the farming forum and this one.

Farming forum has very strict moderation. Non farmer contributions are unwelcome and harshly treated and accused of trolling or just plain unwelcome. I’ve seen threads closed almost immediately.

Farmers seem to have more of a free reign here without their views been seen as trolling. Definitely feels like double standards.

In the past you have called farmers welfare scroungers, a bunch of f**king babies & f**king losers. I don't think posts like that are tolerated pretty much anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

gozunda wrote: »
    Not so. However if farming is being referred to and as a previous poster pointed out - all are tarred with the same brush - pretty much as in your comment - then of course others are going to reply. Boards is a discussion forum and not an echo chamber as far as I'm aware.

Tbh it would be fair to say if maintaining courtesy, respect, and exercising tolerance of opposing views is difficult, then discussion on public forum could definitely be difficult. But hey there we go.

It's not that I'm looking for an echo chamber, I just genuinely feeling like discussing topics on this forum with other vegans has become impossible. Either yourself or someone else always turns it into a big debate and honestly it's just exhausting. It makes me not want to post any interesting talking points because I already know who's going to respond and frankly it stifles genuine conversation between vegans and veggies.

It's not that I'm looking for an echo chamber, I just genuinely feeling like discussing topics on this forum with other vegans has become impossible. Either yourself or someone else always turns it into a big debate and honestly it's just exhausting. It makes me not want to post any interesting talking points because I already know who's going to respond and frankly it stifles genuine conversation between vegans and veggies.

Where you deliberatly denigrate an entire group of people or where there is evident misinformation about farming and you want that others should not be able to comment on that? That is indeed the very epitomey of an echo chamber.

There are plenty of good threads here which do not resort to such ****e - but where they do - you can expect others to comment.

• Advertisement

discussing topics on this forum with other vegans has become impossible.

This, 110%. So many are on my ignore list now, there's little to actually read! :D:D

The tiresome recycled tropes are intended to wear people down.

I'm drawn more and more towards Facebook and closed veg*n groups.

Advertisement