Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blackrock Boys engage in some of the greatest horseplay of all time.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Don’t see anything wrong with it, myself. Just a few lads blowing off a bit of “steam” while on holidays.

There’s a lot worse they could be getting up to.

I agree with this. They don't appear to be doing anyone any harm at all.

However - and I admit that this says more about me than it does about them - I would happily have them killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I agree with this. They don't appear to be doing anyone any harm at all.

However - and I admit that this says more about me than it does about them - I would happily have them killed.
    ??

I know you are joking. But even joking about it is a bit strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

??

I know you are joking. But even joking about it is a bit strong.

I would never joke about something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Poxiest accent you can imagine and that’s basically the only thing that makes it cringeworthy. I find it mad that this accent has a bit of prestige about it, it sounds so comical, dull and dorky. Literally as if there’s a golf ball stuck in his mouth. Nothing that can be done, it’s just an accent but really sounds so bad. I have a vaguely similar accent in how I pronounce certain words so maybe it’s why I find it grating.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Sounds the Rock heads who threatened me outside Leopardstown.

Haha. Tell us more...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Poxiest accent you can imagine and that’s basically the only thing that makes it cringeworthy.

Its just not a bad boy accent is it really?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Have seen the video in the ISIS thread, apparently its an outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Poxiest accent you can imagine

This word is as bad as "banter" though, if not worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Poxiest accent you can imagine

There is no such thing, and such a statement just reveals discrimination against these lads with another reason as its real motivation. Accents are simply different. It all depends on what you are used to. I am sure some of those Rock boys would find a northern accent strange, or, a Kerry one for example, where I have had to do a double take sometimes as I realise that my first reaction that someone there was speaking Irish, was in fact speaking English. All accents are perfectly fine and of their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I grew up in an area heavily populated with lads who went to Blackrock and girls who went to Mt. Anville and Foxrock. Many of them insufferable oinks and many of them really nice people. Basically, a reflection on all aspects of society.

These are privileged young men doing what young men do. If I was staying at this hotel, I'd have watched on with amusement. If it was going on 24/7, I'd be complaining to management

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

Compared to what a Limerick hurler got up to this weekend this is very mild just a bunch of lads having fun and not hurting anyone. Let them at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Focking ledge bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Thought this was gonna be about that night in Anabelle's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Presume their parents have the same insufferable accent or is it just a peer thing

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Omackeral wrote: »
    Because the Archbishop of Banterbury was there and so were Bant & Dec and Bantonio Bantderas.

special guest appearance by Bantony Hopkins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭HBC08

It would be my worst nightmare to be in a holiday resort with a group of loud dublin fcukwits. But if I had the choice id rather have to listen to this crowd and their horseplay than a bunch of knick knacks in Lanzorote.

Harmless enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Omackeral wrote: »
    Listen to these absolute scenes. It's honestly Ross O Carroll Kelly levels of bants from these total legends.

ROCK ROCK ROCK!

Well that was a minute and a half of my life I'll never get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

HBC08 wrote: »
    But if I had the choice id rather have to listen to this crowd and their horseplay than a bunch of knick knacks in Lanzorote.

Harmless enough.

Sorry you must've meant "greatest horseplay" did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It's interesting why anything from either end of the social scale either amuses or irritates people and for some, it enrages them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

blackwave wrote: »
    Compared to what a Limerick hurler got up to this weekend this is very mild just a bunch of lads having fun and not hurting anyone. Let them at it.
    ....so my follow up question..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

mariaalice wrote: »
    It's interesting why anything from either end of the social scale either amuses or irritates people and for some, it enrages them.

It's because they fear the unfamiliar, and what they don't understand. The great majority of the Irish are of an 80% middle ground group. The 10% from whichever end, promo the type of reaction you are seeing here. Nor can they help mentioning the other end of the spectrum either, as they recognise their response is the same as it would be to a story on that grouping.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

gmisk wrote: »
    ....so my follow up question..

Video of 2 lads fighting on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

daheff wrote: »
    I don't know who is saddest in this:

you for posting it
    them for recording it
    or me for listening to it :(

Ive thanked the OP and rated thread Excellent.

IM GUILTY.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

So what's wrong with what they're doing?
    Nothing but poor people think it's hilarious when people say horseplay, absolutely, splendid, carnage etc.

Nobody thinks there is anything wrong but working class people seem to find it hilarious. D18 accent is probably nails on a blackboard for alot of them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I got forwarded this in a Whatsapp group over the weekend and really was wondering if there was something lost in translation or if I was missing something due to accent because it just sounds like exactly the sort of universal ****e young lads get up to when they're away with their mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Whats funny is the fact that he thinks this is some of the maddest shizzle of all time, to the point hes sending videos to the union when in reality its a load of tossers drinking weak beer. Its hilarious.

If this is real, I don't see the issue really. These guys are low-hanging fruit that, unlike other punch-bags on this site, no one fears. The accent is a shocker though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Doubt these lads give a fock what some dorks on a site like Boards think about them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

McCrack wrote: »
    Presume their parents have the same insufferable accent or is it just a peer thing

Most of their parents are rich culchies who were born on farms and small towns and sent, " up to Dublin to get a job" , believe.

The accent is as much a piss take on their culture if anything, it is an identity thing. It cuts out the crap when they meet strangers. It is mostly put on.

Their mothers all started the accent thing when they first got off the train at Heuston back in the 80's and 90's. They started smothering their thick culchie brogues with their new posh south side Dublin accents. They did this to enable them to attract any middle class Doctors, Lawyers and Accountants they were trying to catch and start families with.

In fairness those poor lads never had a chance really... They're basically mongrels. Even worse they could be full culchies trying to be south side Dubs, not good. This can go very wrong when their rich professional culchie parents settled somewhere on the Northside and are sending their son to Booterstown on the Dort. Identity crises can develop which can lead to mental issues.

If anything the accent is a form of group and social tectonics. A bit like when scrotes wear English soccer jerseys, it helps them have a sense of belonging.

Advertisement