Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

HotMama89 my friend met a fella who *from the night they met* pushed her to let him go home with her & meet her children.She gave him a trial as a date for a few months but he proved to be odd as two left feet. Needless to say he wasn't allowed near her family. Always trust your instincts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

dickangel wrote: »
    Yes I thought so too. I thought initially it was a match but there was no commentary or anything. It was pretty much 20 minutes of what you hear. Until I switched it off and left. There was nothing happening in the school, unless it was training somewhere close by being picked up.

At one old cottage I lived in, I used to hear police radio messages. Never did work out how. Just that background voice

A few years ago I woke from a vivid dream of my Sister in the passenger seat of a car sliding uncontrollably on the road and crashing.

I woke up and as I lay in the bed gathering my wits, the phone rang, my wife handed it to me and it was my mother to tell me that my sister had been in a serious car accident as a passenger due to the car losing control because of ice.

She needed spinal surgery but thank God pulled through albeit with permanent neck and nerve damage.

Premonitions .. The week before we went on holiday where my brother died in an accident I was terrified that something terrible was going to happen. And again the morning he drowned.

When I finally told my mother I got blamed for his death but as I know, no-one would have heeded me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

My Grandmother told me and others this story some years back, I'm not sure if some of our family believed her.

Many years previously (1920's) her brother had left Ireland for political and work reasons and went to Canada. One Summers day she was looking out the window from her kitchen into the front garden and saw her brother standing there smiling back as large as life. She didn't expect him over so was surprised that he came without writing or calling to say he was on the way. Anyway she went outside to welcome him but nobody was there. She thought this was very odd and after a while went back inside to hear the phone ringing. It was a call to say that her brother had died suddenly witihin the last hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Heard a good one on radio earlier. It’s already well known that the old Cork Gaol is haunted to fcuk. I saw something there myself a few years ago. Anyway the story goes when the place was being done up years ago the electricians were in to rewire the place. One of the lads was on the first floor pulling cables through walls. The cables jammed up and then suddenly they were pushed on towards him. He went down stairs after to thank whoever helped him out. The other lads didn’t know what he was on about as he had been the only one on the first floor.

A very helpful ghost indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Heard a good one on radio earlier. It’s already well known that the old Cork Gaol is haunted to fcuk. I saw something there myself a few years ago. Anyway the story goes when the place was being done up years ago the electricians were in to rewire the place. One of the lads was on the first floor pulling cables through walls. The cables jammed up and then suddenly they were pushed on towards him. He went down stairs after to thank whoever helped him out. The other lads didn’t know what he was on about as he had been the only one on the first floor.

A very helpful ghost indeed.

Someone was pulling his wire I'd say!

Had a friend that lived nearby that Gaol, he said his Mam always thought she saw strange things in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

The evening of my grannys funeral we were gathered back at my parents house, 5 adults sitting around the sitting room and out of nowhere one of my grannys knitting needles which were behind a clock on the mantle piece "flew" off the mantle and into the middle of the floor.
    No one had been within 5foot of the fireplace and the fire wasnt lit.

About 6 months later my sister went to see a medium and she said about the knitting needles moving being a sign from granny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

About 6 months later my sister went to see a medium and she said about the knitting needles moving being a sign from granny

Did the medium bring it up or did your sister ask the medium what it meant?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

evil_seed wrote: »
    Did the medium bring it up or did your sister ask the medium what it meant?

Medium said it. Sister didnt say anything about granny at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Couple of years back myself and my OH went on a day cruise of the Aeolian islands off the coast of Sicily. Pre booked our tickets a few days beforehand in the local town we were staying in. That morning we get on the bus with the rest of the day trippers who were booked on the same cruise. As is the case on a lot of these trips you stay with that group for the day until you make the return journey back to the local town again. Anyway we queued up with the rest of the group and waited on our turn to board the boat. Our tickets were only valid for one particular boat so we were advised to remember the name for the return journey back in the evening. Can’t remember the name of it now but it was something like The Aeolian Princess. Anyway off we go, got to see three of the islands and had a great day. At the last stop we made our way to the designated departure point to queue up with the rest of our group to get back on the boat. There were quite a number of boats in the harbour but we made sure we got on the correct one. We both recognised some of the group who had traveled with us earlier that day boarding as well so no issues there. Or so we thought.

It took two hours to get back and was dark by the time we arrived. We were both tired at this stage and anxious to get back to the hotel which was another 45 minutes away by bus. Got off the boat and made our way down to the bus terminal. Given that we were the last to get off the boat we were the last to get to the car park where the bus was parked. Just as we made it the bus took off and there we were left looking at each other. We tried ringing the number on the ticket but no response. A bit panicked at the idea of being left behind by our group late at night with no hotels and no public bus service we legged it to the local bar. Not having any Italian we resorted to sign language to communicate our problem to the bar man to see what our options were. He confirmed we were stuck there for the night. Now more desperate than before we rang the tour company number again, this time a lady picked up and put us through to our guide. When we angrily asked why they had abandoned us in a terminal car park at eleven o clock at night she sounded confused. She told us that she was on the boat with the rest of the group which had just docked in the harbour and that the bus was waiting for us in the car park. We explained that couldn’t be the case as we had disembarked from that boat half an hour beforehand with the rest of the group. Sure enough when we made our way back to the terminal there was The Aeolian Princess waiting in the harbour. Now neither of us had that much to drink and we had definitely got on the right boat at the right time so an explanation eludes us. The only reasonable explanation is that there were two boats with the same name and we happened to get on the wrong one but I’m sceptical about that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Kind of a stupid one but years ago when I was in second year in school me and my friend decided to go on the mitch for the day, as we didnt want to get caught we went wandering through fields and derelict areas in town, my friend told me about this old big derelict industrial building that she'd heard of and wanted to find, we knew the general area of where it was as it was a known place in town as its part of the town history but not easy to get to, we basically had to climb through hedges, nettles and thorny bushes. It was in town but very isolated and took a bit of a trek to get to,
    When we got there it was really just the frame standing, no roof, no floors or walls inside, it was mostly a large broken wall structure and nothing but rubble, blocks and burnt wood on the ground but the top stories of it where surrounded by over grown banks with thorny bushes and trees like a woods.
    At these banks where the walls of the structure with high up windows looking down into the inside of the buildings structure, no glass on them just big rectangle holes in the stone walls.
    This is where we decided to hang out for the day, the empty window spaces gave us a decent spot to sit and we could graffiti the stone walls with tip-ex and permanent markers.
    We were having a great time, smoking cigarettes and having the craic, we'd been sitting on the window ledge for ages, never saw or heard anybody. I then turned and looked at the window down into the structure and saw a man standing completely still, he was standing side ways and was far away from me, I was looking down on him so I couldnt see his face but I remember him wearing a grey tracksuit, he was facing a wall near one of the empty windows at the bottom but standing a good few feet away from it, what struck me was how still he was, he looked like a cardboard cutout or something as there was no movement from him at all, he stayed that way for ages.
    I turned to my friend to tell her that someones down there but as soon as I looked back around he was gone.

I found it very strange as he was on his own on this isolated derelict building and stood staring at a wall, so still for so long, his odd behavior freaked me out.

Mad how some people behave when they dont realise they can be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Graces7 wrote: »
    Premonitions .. The week before we went on holiday where my brother died in an accident I was terrified that something terrible was going to happen. And again the morning he drowned.

When I finally told my mother I got blamed for his death but as I know, no-one would have heeded me.

Jesus! That's terrible! You poor thing! My friend's son was killed after sneaking out one night to meet his mates and her daughter saw him leave and was in two minds to tell him to come back but she didn't. Her mother never blamed her. The poor girl felt bad enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Gone quiet here.

A bit early but has anyone got any Christmas related weird stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,324 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

saabsaab wrote: »
    Gone quiet here.

When I was younger my parents told me a fat man in a red suit used to watch me all the time. They swore he could tell if I was naughty or nice, and that he would sneak into the house to check if I was asleep.

When I was younger my parents told me a fat man in a red suit used to watch me all the time. They swore he could tell if I was naughty or nice, and that he would sneak into the house to check if I was asleep.

That is horrible..bad!

I know this does not qualify but it was totally unnerving y;day to find a large brown cow at the door.. they are so BIG! freaked me out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Did he come down the chimney?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

saabsaab wrote: »
      Gone quiet here.

Can't recall how I was told this, possibly a friend talking about his neighbour.
      He heard noise downstairs on Xmas morning just before 4am. He thought it was the kids sneaking down to the toys early.

Went out and saw his son on the landing saying "Santa is here". Knew something was up so ran down to the room to be confronted by a guy helping himself to the presents. They had a bit of a fight where the guy broke free and tried to run out the front door. The fella tackled him in the garden and beat the absolute shíte out of him.
      Gardaí were called, turns out it was the 3rd house he'd hit in the estate, van was loaded with stuff and tvs from the houses too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

razorblunt wrote: »

Can't recall how I was told this, possibly a friend talking about his neighbour.
        He heard noise downstairs on Xmas morning just before 4am. He thought it was the kids sneaking down to the toys early.

Went out and saw his son on the landing saying "Santa is here". Knew something was up so ran down to the room to be confronted by a guy helping himself to the presents. They had a bit of a fight where the guy broke free and tried to run out the front door. The fella tackled him in the garden and beat the absolute shíte out of him.
        Gardaí were called, turns out it was the 3rd house he'd hit in the estate, van was loaded with stuff and tvs from the houses too.
        Bad Santa .

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

I've just come across this thread and thought I'd share my story. Not Christmas related but here it is anyway!

In 2005 I was 26 & took a year out to go traveling for a year,. doing the usual route at the time, started off in California, went west to the Cook Islands and Fiji, 6 weeks in NZ.

I settled in Sydney / Australia for about 9 months.

It was at the time that most of my friends who I had grown up with were doing the same thing.

The night before I left Ireland I can remember it vividly. It was a Friday and I went to see U2 in Croke Park. I was planning an all nighter as my flight was early the next morning.
        After Croke Park I went to my local night club and had a good night with my mates before I set off for my travels.

One of my friends who had a full time job and girlfriend plus didn't have the urge to travel stayed at home in Ireland. In the night club he was so clingy ,,, He was constantly saying "Dont forget me,, will you" "Look at me" putting his arm around me hugging ect. I remember saying "Jezz man, I'm not emigrating I'll be back in a few months".

Over the year away I'd mention it to my friends who were traveling with me, that it was really strange behavior as he was never that person who'd be overly affectionate as mates.

Anyway - fast forward nearly a year later. I was on my return leg of the trip and in Thailand. It was before smart phones and I came back from day way and there was a text from my Dad to say the same friend who was clingy in the niteclub, "Was in a car crash, he's in hospital, but all is okay!"

I cant remember if I rang home then but I was reassured that there was nothing too serious.

A night or so later, I had a dream, the same friend was in it, but it wasn't how I remembered him, he seemed a bit fatter. In the dream we were standing at a corner of our national school. The same corner that when we were 12, we both collided while running around opposite sides. He broke his nose off my cheek bone, that left him with a prominent crooked nose. So this was a significant spot for the two of us, that literary marked him for life.

In the dream, he had a big smile on his face and was telling me, & reassuring me that everything is fine, he's happy, and everything will be okay. We had a conversation, I remember saying to him "Wow, you gave me a big scare with the accident. I can remember him laughing & saying, yes, but he's fine now!

The next morning, I woke up a bit freaked that the dream had been so vivid, but thought obviously the accident was playing on my mind.
        I went straight to the hostel / hotel reception and rang home,,,, it would have been early in Thailand so it must have in the middle of the night back home. My father answered the phone, and said "Son, I've bad news, xxxx has passed away"" .

Obviously I was devastated - balling my eyes out in the hotel reception. Cant remember time lines exactly, but started to try and arrange traveling home for the funeral.

I arrived back in the evening of the funeral. So missed the burial, wake ect. That night in the pub, people who were at the funeral were still there. I was upset and said that I really wanted to get back in time to see him. When I said this, the person. said, "Na, you wouldnt have recognised him, he was bloated from the drugs in the hospital". It was strange that when he appeared in my dream he was "fatter" than I had remembered.

The clingy ness of my last time with him & the apparition the night he died was a bit much for coincidence.

Anyway there it is!!

Ann22 wrote: »
        Jesus! That's terrible! You poor thing! My friend's son was killed after sneaking out one night to meet his mates and her daughter saw him leave and was in two minds to tell him to come back but she didn't. Her mother never blamed her. The poor girl felt bad enough.

It was even odder. I those far off days, boys rarely if ever showed any concern or affection for little sisters.

The evening before the accident we had been out rowing on the lake and the boatman had trusted us with the boat after he had gone home.

By the time we moored it and were heading for the hotel, it was dark and we were running along a path.
        Suddenly my brother ,turned to me, took my hand ( a first) and said so kindly, " Don't be afraid.!" Never ever spoken to me like that,

Less than 24 hours later he was dead,

There is no explanation for these things.

• Advertisement
      • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Bishop Casey was a terrible man alright. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Graces7 wrote: »

The night before a friend killed himself I had an awful night. Couldn't sleep and awake all night. My brother said later that he had a premonition of him in a coffin laid out in the sitting room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

When my Dad was dying and a bit away with the fairies he said he was dreaming that he was in a coffin and all his relatives were around him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

In my early twenties I had recurring dreams of coffins appearing in the house for about a year. There was someone laid out in them, but I was always too scared to look. When I told my dad he was very freaked out and said that as a young man he had the exact same dreams, down to very specific details.

The dreams stopped immediately after my dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer. We waked him in the house.

During the same year, I also had recurring dreams that my dad was being taken way from us by a group of unknown assailants. I guess at some subconscious level I knew he was sick.

At the time I was in college and seeing the student counsellor for an unrelated very stressful matter. Shortly before he was diagnosed I remember blurting out to her how hard I was finding things now that my dad was so gravely ill. But none of us knew that then, we thought he just had a mild chest infection. I was actually very confused about why I had said it.

My dad died from lung cancer. He had given up smoking two decades before, but occasionally had a rare cigarette, if offered. When I would see him doing this in the years before his diagnosis, my blood would run cold. I've never experienced a feeling like it before that or since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

sunbeam wrote: »
        In my early twenties I had recurring dreams of coffins appearing in the house for about a year. There was someone laid out in them, but I was always too scared to look. When I told my dad he was very freaked out and said that as a young man he had the exact same dreams, down to very specific details.

The dreams stopped immediately after my dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer. We waked him in the house.

During the same year, I also had recurring dreams that my dad was being taken way from us by a group of unknown assailants. I guess at some subconscious level I knew he was sick.

At the time I was in college and seeing the student counsellor for an unrelated very stressful matter. Shortly before he was diagnosed I remember blurting out to her how hard I was finding things now that my dad was so gravely ill. But none of us knew that then, we thought he just had a mild chest infection. I was actually very confused about why I had said it.

My dad died from lung cancer. He had given up smoking two decades before, but occasionally had a rare cigarette, if offered. When I would see him doing this in the years before his diagnosis, my blood would run cold. I've never experienced a feeling like it before that or since.

Its so weird, I know that feeling, you just know an event or particular situation is about to happen, its happened to me a few times and every time its been spot on and I wasn't surprised because I knew like it was a fact that it was going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I don't usually know What, I just know something has happened or is happening. Felt something thats hard to describe when someone close to me had a seizure. I was queueing at the post office and suddenly she came to the forefront of my mind and I willed her strength. I had no idea what was happening though as we were miles apart at the time. That was her first seizure. I can't say I always or often feel/know things like that. One other time springs to mind. I was out walking on the local hills. Just out of the car and I couldn't explain why but I felt I urgently must get straight back to my house. I knew it would seem ridiculous to insist we turn around get back in the car and go, but I faked a bad earache and dizziness. I would never have cut the day short if that was actually true. Oddly enough my boyfriend didn't seem the least bit confused and seemed to feel we should do that despite him being mad for that walk. When we got back there was someone there waiting for me, she had left her partner after a bad row and had been sitting around the back waiting for me. I don't know if she had tried calling me as I never look at my phone when I'm out or she hadn't brought her own phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Andreas77

Last night, I had a dream that a thick and pale member, with bulging blue veins, was risen high into the sky, perfectly straight like a mast, breaking the clouds at about 250ft, or the point at which the the hood was retracted. As I have observed this stubborn piece of trunk can move very slightly with the tensing of my pelvic muscles, I’ve realised this member is my own. Weather was clear, blue sky, about 60 °F. Then I’ve noticed an unexpected phenomenon, many tiny women working their way up the body of the stalk, clutching onto veins and knots, some using pockets of dust, taking their time (this was not a race I don’t think), working methodically to ascend the penile, and all I can do is watch. I cannot shake them off, and even if I could, I’m not sure I would want to. When they disappear above the cloud cover I can no longer see what they are doing on my glans heads,. Are they salivating that? or interfering with my chute, or, actually this thought occurred to me during the dream, that since there was no sensation, that they were boarding some sort of craft, which would escort them from this world to another. Now is when it gets very weird, as I have noticed then for the first time, hundreds of other stalks, smaller penises, distributed all over the terrain, coalescing more or less around my own, but there were some outliers, but none even half as big as my own. I’ll admit it is a strange. It’s been on my mind all day .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Andreas77 wrote: »
        Last night, I had a dream that a thick and pale member, with bulging blue veins, was risen high into the sky, perfectly straight like a mast, breaking the clouds at about 250ft, or the point at which the the hood was retracted. As I have observed this stubborn piece of trunk can move very slightly with the tensing of my pelvic muscles, I’ve realised this member is my own. Weather was clear, blue sky, about 60 °F. Then I’ve noticed an unexpected phenomenon, many tiny women working their way up the body of the stalk, clutching onto veins and knots, some using pockets of dust, taking their time (this was not a race I don’t think), working methodically to ascend the penile, and all I can do is watch. I cannot shake them off, and even if I could, I’m not sure I would want to. When they disappear above the cloud cover I can no longer see what they are doing on my glans heads,. Are they salivating that? or interfering with my chute, or, actually this thought occurred to me during the dream, that since there was no sensation, that they were boarding some sort of craft, which would escort them from this world to another. Now is when it gets very weird, as I have noticed then for the first time, hundreds of other stalks, smaller penises, distributed all over the terrain, coalescing more or less around my own, but there were some outliers, but none even half as big as my own. I’ll admit it is a strange. It’s been on my mind all day .

Are you sure that's the point where it got very weird?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

A couple of years ago I had a dream. You know those ones that go on for what seems like all night, dip in and out of different little mini incidents and stuff, maybe into moments of nightmare but basically one long continuous dream that keeps going back to the same thing?

So in this dream I was part of a big huge group of people moving across this great plain, we were all spread out and split up into smaller groups. I had two children with me, a boy who was about four and a baby girl. It was all pleasant enough.

Suddenly the dream changes tone and really comes into focus, there are men coming to attack, we're out in the open, we have to hide, it's panic, everyone runs, I've nobody to help me with the children. I have no children, but I remember all these emotions in the dream so clearly.

There was a little rocky outcrop and I ran to it, crouched underneath and told the children to be quiet. But the baby girl was too small, she didn't understand, she started to cry. I was trying to shush her when I heard noise overhead, I looked up and there was a bearded man peering over the outcrop. When he saw me look up he started to smile, argh I can remember his face so clearly. He jumped down and pulled a knife.

I started to plead and even as I was doing it I was thinking why am I doing this it's not going to work, fight, run, but I just couldn't, I was frozen. He grabbed me and raised the knife, I was twisting and struggling and just trying to keep my body away from the blade, I knew I was going to die, I knew the children were going to die. I felt, really ****ing felt the knife go in between two of my ribs and at that point I woke up.

At this point it would have been a dream that stuck with me anyway, it was just really different in content from my usual dreams (and I've good recall of them) and so, so, so vivid.

Anyways, had to wake my OH up to tell him about it, got to the being stabbed bit and I said like "oh i could feel it, it was right here" and pulled up my tshirt and put my finger on the spot.

Lads. I've got a fcuking birthmark right exactly on that spot.

I'm sure there is an explanation that's not me getting murdered in front of my children in a past life but Jesus, still freaks me out.

• Advertisement
      • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Andreas77

Was this after eleven of September 2001?

Advertisement