Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heated Gaming Topics Discussion

• 05-09-2019 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

As others have noted, the News and General threads keep getting clogged up with the 'debate' around heated topics, such as Gamergate, Star Citizen et al. So, I've created this topic specifically to discuss the heated gaming topics.

Suppose it would be best to continue the debate from the News thread, so whoever wants to start on the Star Citizen stuff, go!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

board-games-are.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Awesome I've never fully understood gamergate and don't know what StarCitizen is so this is great for the likes of me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Awesome I've never fully understood gamergate and don't know what StarCitizen is so this is great for the likes of me.

Truly the most blissful form of glorious ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

neither do I because I couldn't give a shít about any of the bitching that the journalists and developers are moaning about, I just want to play good games

If people want to talk about it I'm ok with that but it's tiresome seeing it come up in the general news thread and wading through the usual back and forth. Mod note in the news thread or something saying discussion about it goes here now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

My bad. I don't mean to be complicit in derailing the news thread but it gets my back up when people link to content made from absolute scumbags. A separate thread is probably for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I pretty much ignored gamergate and just pegged the lot as 'internet drama'.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,430 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sonic > Mario

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

This is the kind of thread where you can wander in and say you're thinking of buying a game console but which one?

Seriously though Gear of War which I've always kind of liked the look of but never played looks amazing this time out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gears is a game series that looks like everything wrong with gaming, the roided up heroes, the over the top western art style, the unimaginative third person action. Yet I've always had a lot of time for it as it's dumb but knowingly so, the mechanics are really solid, why nobody has ripped off the active reload mechanic is beyond me and the very odd time it can actually surprise you with drama/stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Gamergate had 1 good idea (journalistic integrity) and got derailed because the Internet is full of Americans who can only see the world in terms of "Us vs Them".

Clickbait is still here.
    Kotaku occasionally posts good articles, but more often posts inflammatory or outright false BS.
    RockPaperShotgun has gone to shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭EoinHef

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Gamergate had 1 good idea (journalistic integrity) and got derailed because the Internet is full of Americans who can only see the world in terms of "Us vs Them".

Clickbait is still here.
    Kotaku occasionally posts good articles, but more often posts inflammatory or outright false BS.

The latest controversy over the new dave chapelle comedy special on netflix shows how a lot of these media companies are just totally disconnected from the general public as a whole.

Theres a lot crap out there that tries to influence people rather than just reporting stuff. Im totally fine with a journalist saying he has a bias and an opinion but there seems to be a trend where they leave no room for other opinions.

Other opinions are framed as being hateful etc

Even traditional media has gone to crap,just look at the english papers regarding brexit,a lot of what they have said is rubbish and some of it is just plain lies,but their looking to influence people rather than giving them the facts.

Its getting harder and harder to seperate all the BS from whats actually going on in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

gimli2112 wrote: »
    This is the kind of thread where you can wander in and say you're thinking of buying a game console but which one?

Seriously though Gear of War which I've always kind of liked the look of but never played looks amazing this time out.

The one thing that Gears had over all the other similar stories was the story and characters they lost that after Gears 3 and haven't been the same since , I bought an Xbox 1 just to play Gears 4 I ended up regretting it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Tim Sweeny interview canceled by obsessed journos. It was going to be about free expression and the Chinese related news going on right now. I would've loved to have heard it.

Another interview silenced although this time at the request of the family

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s almost like being a toxic, creepy man child has consequences, TheQuartering!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Clickbait is still here.

As someone who was on /v/ a lot when that stuff started to kick off, I don't believe for a minute it had anything to do with 'journalistic integrity'. 'Journalistic integrity' is a shield similar to how white nationalists neuter their image with the label 'alt right'.

If 4chan archive is still a thing then I'm sure you could probably find these old threads somewhere and the pathetic attempt they made to soften their image with 'Vivian James' (****ing lol). 'GamerGate' was how they packaged it up in a way that could reliably deceive people as to its true purpose.

Just think for a minute, was there ever really any meaningful conflicts of interest exposed by GG? The Zoe Quinn thing was just predicated on a salty blogpost by an ex. I remember once a big deal was made because a number of gaming journos shared a chat group, like this was some massively incriminating thing. The objective was to taint and attack, never to expose. It didn't matter what the evidence was, so long as it could be forced to fit a narrative. GG was about trying to assert an identity that was perceived under threat (sounds familiar..)

Before the GG label had even reached critical mass it was very much a targetted harassment campaign against public figures who this group didn't like much. So Zoe Quinn, Phil Fish (who we don't hear much from anymore) and the one who did Tropes v Women (forgot her name right now).

That's not to say I'm going to run to the defence of everything Kotaku has ever written because it can be click-baitey and they can go for low hanging fruit. But it's the nature of that business I guess and it never warranted the response that happened.

Anyway that's my 2c, speaking as someone who shamefully bought into this rubbish once and is familiar with the mental gymnastics that got used

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

I've absolutely no idea what's going on with Blizzard the company but I see it popping up everywhere. Haven't bothered to read into it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Basically Blizzard banning people protesting about a genocidal regime and also banning people in the vicinity of people protesting about a genocidal regime. Then release a statement saying that Winnie the pooh is grand and not to be slagging him off which makes things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

It's interesting how hard Blizzard have worked at cultivating an inclusive and progressive image when it suits them, but when speaking truth to power hurts the bottom line they quickly become cowards.

Who would have thought that selling out to Activision would make them into a greedy morally bankrupt entity?

I feel sorry for the PR people dealing with the statements that they are being told to put out by management and shareholders. Would be nice to see how these people would react if they had to put a face and name to their utterly uncompassionate statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'm lost, do we want politics kept out of games? Or do we want politics in games? I'm not sure what to be outraged about this week.

Hopefully, the Quartering makes 18 videos about a tweet to get me back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Who would have thought that selling out to Activision would make them into a greedy morally bankrupt entity?

Blizzard didn't sell out to anyone, and as a subsidiary of Vivendi it'd be the other way around as they came out as majority shareholders.

I'm lost, do we want politics kept out of games? Or do we want politics in games? I'm not sure what to be outraged about this week.

Hopefully, the Quartering makes 18 videos about a tweet to get me back on track.
    I'm fine with politics being in games.

Appeasing to horrid regimes like China though? Feck right off!

I'm also not fine with companies pretending their games have a neutral stance to try and have their cake and eat it and appeal to a wider market when their games quite clearly are making a political statement. Grow some balls you pathetic ****s.

I see the end point of this where all bad guys in games with have stereotypical Italian accents as an Italian accent can never be racist (it's true, I don't make these rules).

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm also not fine with companies pretending their games have a neutral stance to try and have their cake and eat it and appeal to a wider market when their games quite clearly are making a political statement. Grow some balls you pathetic ****s.

I see the end point of this where all bad guys in games with have stereotypical Italian accents as an Italian accent can never be racist (it's true, I don't make these rules).

Reminder that Homefront changed the antagonists from communist China to "unified North Korea".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

More hitpieces, more blackmailing from the usual anti-gg clique. She admits to writing lies about GG for money, not that anyone needs them to admit that.

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/10/19/esports-journalist-richard-lewis-reveals-past-writing-history-to-combat-alleged-blackmail-campaign/

https://twitter.com/RLewisReports/status/1185317994806706176

Once you're on the wrong side of these creeps they'll write anything to try and smear your reputation. Richard Lewis does not deserve this shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

^^

I'm confused about why this is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

^^

I'm confused about why this is important.

It's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think we need to keep politic,s out of game,s ,or at least out of esports ,
    imagine if at every international soccer match there were protests about trump,china, extinction climate change, etc
    I understand if theres esports events in china, hong kong, certain other citys,
    it may be hard to stop people who want to hold up signs or wear shirts with slogans on them at international events .
    I have no problem with games having some political content ,
    or having characters that have opinions on political issues, ,
    if the game is well written and realistic or has some point to make about the real world . The film industry have this issue too,
    china is a big market for hollywood blockbuster,s ,action film,s
    now all villian,s in new film,s ,are russian, east european,japanese, anything but chinese .
    I can,t think of a recent game where the villain or the main enemy is chinese or the chinese army is shown in a negative fashion .

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/16/20917574/blizzard-ban-hearthstone-college-students-grandmaster-china-hong-kong-protests

If you are playing on an esports team paid for by a company
    you might have to sign a contract, saying you will not make any political statements or talk about politic,s while streaming the game or playing in an esports event .
    China is a major market for games and console,s .
    IF there,s protest,s at certain events or on gaming streams,
    what will happen is all the games made by blizzard will be banned in china .so how doe,s that help anyone ?
    China can easily block twitch and game streaming websites, if it wants to.
    If it has not done so already.
    We have seen this issue with apple and google in china,
    if you want to do business in china ,
    you have to go along with chinese law,s .

• Advertisement
Advertisement