Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TNG runthrough

• 24-07-2018 8:37pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭

the DS9 runthrough was good craic, any interest in a tng rewatch.

i've just watched the first one.
    60s dresses. oh data why are you so not human ha ha. Q makes his very first appearance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

Riker befuddled by an alien using a replicator.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Evade wrote: »
    Riker befuddled by an alien using a replicator.

and a HOLODECK!!! :eek::eek:
    the smug ensign and the ship giving directions to riker was a bit lol. turn left. turn left now!
    you think they never learned from gps

bluewolf wrote: »
    They were supposed to be pretty new.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Currently doing one myself, half way through Season 4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I seem to recall male extras running around in the same dress / miniskirt fashion as female crewmembers. Remarkably this didn't persist throughout the series

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    I seem to recall male extras running around in the same dress / miniskirt fashion as female crewmembers. Remarkably this didn't persist throughout the series

You can see that in the Encounter at Farpoint, and perhaps one or two other early eps

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I didnt know data was programmed as a sex robot too. Jaysus

At least dr crusher figured out the crazy virus was passed through touch. I didn't think data would get infected. I thought he'd save the day after everyone else went under

You can tell i haven't seen this in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭Daith

the smug ensign and the ship giving directions to riker was a bit lol. turn left. turn left now!
    you think they never learned from gps

Yep the flashing lights thing for directions was odd. What if two people were looking for directions?

I do recall the person who shows Riker how to use the arrows checks out Riker's ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Daith wrote: »

I do recall the person who shows Riker how to use the arrows checks out Riker's ass.

I haven't watched Encounter at Farpoint for years, even during my last Next Gen runthrough I just didn't have the strength.

But now I am going to have to, dammit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

JayRoc wrote: »
    I haven't watched Encounter at Farpoint for years, even during my last Next Gen runthrough I just didn't have the strength.

Im really glad Gene Roddenberry took a backseat role after season 1.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Encounter at Farpoint is such a weird fish, even by the metrics of the rest of Season 1. It surely must have been jarring to any Trekkie who grew up with the swashbuckling adventures of TOS, or even the four films that had come out by TNG's premiere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Encounter at Farpoint is such a weird fish, even by the metrics of the rest of Season 1. It surely must have been jarring to any Trekkie who grew up with the swashbuckling adventures of TOS, or even the four films that had come out by TNG's premiere.

Ive often wondered what it would be like to watch that episode on LSD

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭Daith

JayRoc wrote: »

It's actually important to Riker's character to establish him as a ugh "ladies man" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

If you're doing a TNG run-through, you should have a look at the Greatest Generation podcast – http://www.maximumfun.org/shows/greatest-generation

They're onto DS9 now (nearing the end of Season 2) but, start at the start, they have already covered the entirety of TNG.

It's a very light-hearted look at the series, "from two guys who are a little bit embarrassed to have a Star Trek podcast", and I found it a whole lot of fun.

Even if you're not doing a run-through at the same time... It's good fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I've been working my way through the Greatest Gen podcast as well and found it very entertaining. The appearance of Kevin Uxbridge in random episodes makes it difficult to keep composed on my work commute.

yar to yareena (did they do this on purpose): i'm totally gona beat your ass
    yareena: NO U

yar to the captain: well i tried, she won't budge
    :rolleyes:

Just spotted that now in ep 5 where they're all stuck in nowhere-imagination-land

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

:D love the line at 5.35 - "Eh ... is this as good as we remember it was ?"

Great early scene in the Federation - Cardasian conflict.
    From s5 I think

Goodshape wrote: »
    If you're doing a TNG run-through, you should have a look at the Greatest Generation podcast – http://www.maximumfun.org/shows/greatest-generation

They're onto DS9 now (nearing the end of Season 2) but, start at the start, they have already covered the entirety of TNG.

It's a very light-hearted look at the series, "from two guys who are a little bit embarrassed to have a Star Trek podcast", and I found it a whole lot of fun.

Even if you're not doing a run-through at the same time... It's good fun :)

The earliest I find here (TNG) is from Season 2 ...

Did they do a run through on season 1 too ?

• Advertisement

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Great early scene in the Federation - Cardasian conflict.
    From s5 I think

I know it's probably not your video but that's Gul Macet, not Gul Dukat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

TomSweeney wrote: »
    The earliest I find here (TNG) is from Season 2 ...

Did they do a run through on season 1 too ?

They did. Not sure why it's not listed on their site but if you search for the podcast on your podcast app you should find it.

This link might work better to get the full show - https://pca.st/greatgen

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I found Tim Lynch's episode reviews to be useful companions... they start mid season 2.
    http://timlynchreviews.wikia.com/wiki/TNG

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Bring back tasha yar

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Bring back tasha yar

Sacrifice Everything! Make it so!

Bring back tasha yar

Crosby must really regret leaving the show when she did.

Inviere wrote: »
    Crosby must really regret leaving the show when she did.

Someone would have made way at end of Season 1...
    https://comicbook.com/startrek/2018/08/05/star-trek-the-next-generation-marina-sirtis-fired-denise-crosby/

Bizarrely in the original casting it was supposed to be Sirtis playing Tasha Yar!

It's a pity she wasn't fired, her character brought down most episodes and I'm not surprised writers didn't know what to do with her.

Weird to read Rodenberry of all people quoted remarking there were 'one too many women', wondering what he meant by that as on the face of it, it sounds contradictorily regressive.

It's a pity she wasn't fired, her character brought down most episodes and I'm not surprised writers didn't know what to do with her.
    Weird to read Rodenberry of all people quoted remarking there were 'one too many women', wondering what he meant by that as on the face of it, it sounds contradictorily regressive.

Not sure what to make it myself but I think there was also competition between Yar and Worf for screen time... Yar was security chief but then what would Worf do on the bridge.

And long term they saw more potential stories from a Klingon on board.
    So it was species-ist :)

• Advertisement

Aw i thought she was a good contribution and didn't bring anything down.
    I was wondering if she left herself or got kicked off all right

Advertisement