Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Carers Allowance

• 29-05-2018 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Posted off Carers allowance forms today. Anyone have a idea of waiting times

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

the latest update that I know (January this year) of had average times of 17 weeks.

I doubt that’s changed much.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dmcguq10

the latest update that I know (January this year) of had average times of 17 weeks.

I doubt that’s changed much.

Cool thanks,

If successful will we be eligible for the 2018 respite payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

dmcguq10 wrote: »
    Cool thanks,

I don't think so, you have to be in receipt of the allowance for 6 months (basically from 1st January each year) to be elligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ann0

it took me 7 months to get the carers allowance.so you could get a decision in december.you will probably have to meet with a social welfare inspector to go over a few things. if you get to that stage you have a good chance of getting it.its an awful process they put you through the amount of time it takes for a decision.if you get it you will be backdated on the Xmas bonus im not sure about the respite grant through but the funny thing is though if you do get the carers next year you will get the respite grant and you will also get it for this year.they will cover 2018/2019

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

Cool thanks,

You won't get the respite payment. You need to be on the payment on the day that the payment is payed out (if you had applied before June and were then accepted you would get it but not if you have only applied and send the forms out now).

• Advertisement

i applied on my daughter's disability allowance last August and got it early December i was only expecting the 1 payment if it got allowed but i got it for 2016/17 in November i applied for the carers and got it this july

AryaStark wrote: »
    You won't get the respite payment. You need to be on the payment on the day that the payment is payed out (if you had applied before June and were then accepted you would get it but not if you have only applied and send the forms out now).
    you dont need to be on carers to claim the respite you can get it for someone on disability allowance a freind of mine got it with out her son being on da her doctor filled out the forms for respite

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

ann0 wrote: »
    it took me 7 months to get the carers allowance.so you could get a decision in december.you will probably have to meet with a social welfare inspector to go over a few things. if you get to that stage you have a good chance of getting it.its an awful process they put you through the amount of time it takes for a decision.if you get it you will be backdated on the Xmas bonus im not sure about the respite grant through but the funny thing is though if you do get the carers next year you will get the respite grant and you will also get it for this year.they will cover 2018/2019

Wow. Seven months?? Did they backpay you for all that time?

kathleen37 wrote: »
    Wow. Seven months?? Did they backpay you for all that time?
    yep backdated for 7 months waiting for it to come through,mine was a different case to most as i actually applied in Jan 2015 it was refused.so it went for a appeal got refused and then another appeal which got refused,it then went on to the ombudsman who refused it also.i left it for a while and reapplied in November 2017 and it gets allowed. they really do put people under a lot of pressure

yep backdated for 7 months waiting for it to come through,mine was a different case to most as i actually applied in Jan 2015 it was refused.so it went for a appeal got refused and then another appeal which got refused,it then went on to the ombudsman who refused it also.i left it for a while and reapplied in November 2017 and it gets allowed. they really do put people under a lot of pressure

Goodness. I'm glad you got sorted in the end.

• Advertisement

thought it would never get sorted out

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭BillieT

Cool thanks,

Yes you will. My appeal was approved in May and I got the respite in June

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

thought it would never get sorted out

We are waiting 15 months and still waiting. It's an absolute joke-have come back to us 8 times on diff info!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭blazard

several months waiting on average is the norm

glad you got yours in time.

its holiday season so extra wait fro anyone in system

L1985 wrote: »
    We are waiting 15 months and still waiting. It's an absolute joke-have come back to us 8 times on diff info!!
    go to your local cab office and tdsee what they can do

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dmcguq10

Rang up last week and was told that they are currently processing applications from start of April 2018.

Although we applied before June I don't think we will be eligible for respite grant until next June (If we get approved of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Rang up last week and was told that they are currently processing applications from start of April 2018.

Although we applied before June I don't think we will be eligible for respite grant until next June (If we get approved of course)

I think if you are approved you will also get the respite grant as you did apply before June

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Secret Seven

Took me 8.5 weeks to be approved for Carer's Allowance. Was already on Carer's Benefit so maybe that helped?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Took me 8.5 weeks to be approved for Carer's Allowance. Was already on Carer's Benefit so maybe that helped?

You see it was already established that the person you are caring for needed full time care and attention and that you are giving full time care and attention so all they had to do was means test you and you were home and dry.
    What’s causing the delay is where in nearly every application the medical officer has to see the medical evidence.
    The medical officer is in Dublin and only has his medical officer “hat” on for a few hours every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AngelicAngel7

Hi, just wondering can anyone help. I applied for carers allowance back in March and they wrote to me twice looking for bank statements and pay slips. Finally two weeks ago I got a letter to meet the social welfare inspector.

I met him last Wednesday, handed in more documentation and when I left he didn't mention if he thought I'd be granted any payment. Does anyone know once you meet the inspector, how long it takes to process a decision?
    Thank you

• Advertisement

Hi, just wondering can anyone help. I applied for carers allowance back in March and they wrote to me twice looking for bank statements and pay slips. Finally two weeks ago I got a letter to meet the social welfare inspector.

I met him last Wednesday, handed in more documentation and when I left he didn't mention if he thought I'd be granted any payment. Does anyone know once you meet the inspector, how long it takes to process a decision?
    Thank you

It was only a few week before my payment, including the backdated payment and grant came through.

I asked and the very nice inspector told me that I would get the allowance as they only needed her to confirm a couple of thing, but she said it may take another 6 to 8 weeks to come through. Like I said, in my case, it only actually took 2 or 3 weeks after seeing her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AngelicAngel7

kathleen37 wrote: »
    It was only a few week before my payment, including the backdated payment and grant came through.

I asked and the very nice inspector told me that I would get the allowance as they only needed her to confirm a couple of thing, but she said it may take another 6 to 8 weeks to come through. Like I said, in my case, it only actually took 2 or 3 weeks after seeing her.

That's brilliant, thanks for your help. Hopefully I'll be lucky. :)

Advertisement