Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exactly is Geocaching?

• 04-01-2013 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭

First post :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Here is the Geocaching 101, courtesy of geocaching.com:

http://www.geocaching.com/guide/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

To put it as succinctly as possible:
    Geocaching is a free real-world outdoor treasure hunt. Players try to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, using a smartphone or GPS and can then share their experiences online.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,385 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ooo new forum!

I geocached back in 2010 was great fun actually. Must get back into it this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

I spent manys a sunday geocaching last year. Must get back into it. Great hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

It's basically the use of billion dollar military satellites to find plastic boxes with junk in them :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

Its a fun way to get out of the house and do something.
    The Kids love it.
    You find places you never knew existed
    Its great fun
    One minute you could be in a car park, a field or a forest the next thing you are on top of a cliff
    Some are even in places you cant reach :-)
    Trysor9

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭aerial man

I Love Geocaching!! Delighted to see a forum about starting here, hope to get back into it after exams! so far ive found about 22 of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Sounds interesting. Any way to do geocaching from the couch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Sounds interesting. Any way to do geocaching from the couch?

Yeah, you could download the GPX files and send the kids off to find them for you! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Lardy wrote: »
    Yeah, you could download the GPX files and send the kids off to find them for you! :P

No kids, but I do have a nephew and nieces so it just might work...let's hope they don't know the 'finders keepers' rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Vaperus wrote: »
    Its a fun way to get out of the house and do something.
    The Kids love it.
    You find places you never knew existed
    Its great fun
    One minute you could be in a car park, a field or a forest the next thing you are on top of a cliff
    Some are even in places you cant reach :-)
    Trysor9

Eh, how does that work then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

fobster wrote: »
    Eh, how does that work then?

I think he was only messing with that one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

Yeah I was kinda of messing.
    Having said that you do have to stretch for some
    We planned to do the Ulster top 10 new year week, Bad idea
    Nearly got blown off a cliff after giving up for safety reasons, when we got back to the bottom the guy in the centre at the bottom thought we were F***ing mad as they were about to go up and close all the walks down.
    Few days later it was in the news that somebody actually did get blown off.
    One of the 10 I know is on the edge of another cliff, there are pictures of people crawling on thier belly feeling very uneasy trying to find a cache near the cliffs edge.
    Think I am taking full climbing gear for that one and then try and convince somebody to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I found this clip from Nationwide 2007 that's worth a watch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MunsterGeo

Hello Everybody,

have know about the hobby for several years, but finding the forum here has actually made me "get upp off my ass" and do something about it.

Have the family interested to see what its all about and delighted to see a number of caches of varying difficulty within a reasonable distance of where I live :)

Were planning, weather permitting, a family day out in the comming weeks to a local town nearby that has a good number of caches. Plus I'll be able to get the more distant ones on my travels around the country.

Advertisement