Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1798 Claimants

• 07-06-2019 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

An index to people who claimed compensation following 1798 rebellion is available on findmypast, and I believe also on a CD issued by Eneclann based on work by Ian Cantwell.
    I have found some references on fmp that I would like to follow up, and I wonder if someone can tell me whether the CD has any more information than whats on fmp?
    If not, can anyone suggest if there is any original source material available which would give more info, e.g. circumstances that caused damage, date of damage, reasons for refusing compo etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've looked at the original printed books in the NLI and am sorry to report there isn't any background or further detail.

I do recommend Thomas Pakenham's book "The Year of Liberty" though - it has a great bibliography and list of manuscript sources. You should be able to get it in any normal library and it's still in print. Really excellent read - I had no idea until I read that the conservative estimate of deaths in 1798 is 30000!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭kildarejohn

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I've looked at the original printed books in the NLI and am sorry to report there isn't any background or further detail.

I had suspected that, thanks for your reply.

Advertisement