Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Agree - cook.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Apologies - I'm not very technically minded.

I'm trying to decipher the location in this record. It looks like Murtin but maybe it's latin?

Screenshot 2019-05-18 at 10.03.18 AM.png

Screenshot 2019-05-18 at 10.03.00 AM.png

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

shar01 wrote: »
    Apologies - I'm not very technically minded.

Not at all - they're good detailed screen grabs.

I can't do any better than Murtin myself but here's a link to the same image on irishgenealogy.ie which is a little clearer.

Do you have any background info that might help us?

480588.png

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks for adding the link Hermy.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Cheers Hermy.

I'm helping out a chap who contacted me yesterday - our Trees overlap.

The father of the child is likely to be Francis Tothill, husband of Mary Anne Delahunt's aunt, Annie (the witness).

I'll mess around this afternoon to see if I can dig anything else up.

Would the gap of almost a month between birth and baptism be unusual?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

shar01 wrote: »
    Cheers Hermy.

I'm helping out a chap who contacted me yesterday - our Trees overlap.

The father of the child is likely to be Francis Tothill, husband of Mary Anne Delahunt's aunt, Annie (the witness).

I'll mess around this afternoon to see if I can dig anything else up.

Would the gap of almost a month between birth and baptism be unusual?

Not for Protestants, if they were. Is there a civil cert for the birth?

Haven't managed to find it yet. I've tried Delahunt as birth surname.

Complete supposition on my part but some of the Delahunts and Millers came Wicklow and I was thinking Murtin... The Murrough?

This is Annie Miller and her husband, Francis:
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/North_Dock/Marlborough_Street/30617/

Here's John Miller (entry 440):
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1898/02097/1799187.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I need help deciphering the addresses from very poor handwriting on a Westport marriage. Initially I thought it the first letter was a 'B' but it doesn't match the B in Batchelor. Now I think it begins Innis-something.

To back that up, at the top of the page the district is surely Aghaghower parish, district of Islandeady, Union of Wesport. That's the strangest 'I' I ever saw in Islandeady - it looks like a G!

It's the marriage first entry ; John Quinn & Mary Moran. Addresses unknown. Edit : additional info - The wife died before the census, the kids are born in Innishnakillew (Kilmeena parish) where the family still resides in 1901 & 1911. However that does not appear to be either address above.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1885/10863/5966356.pdf

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Rootsireland have it transcribed as Inniscoolagh and Letterean.

Edit**
    actually, looking at Inishnakillew on logainm.ie does throw up a couple of possibilities that could have been written as Inniscoolagh, so it might well be supposed to be Inishnakillew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Thanks very much Spurious - I don't have a Roots Ireland subscription, I thought they just transcribed parish registers. I never considered them for GRO records.

Logainm was very useful since it showed the Irish is name Inis na Coilleadh - which could just as easily be anglicised as Inis Coolagh. A different address before marriage might be a potential clue but I'm satisfied now he remained stationary.

As for Letterean - I was miles off. I was seeing a non-existant Seltenen!:pac:

The parish record gave no addresses at all so I'm very grateful. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Hi all,

Would appreciate any extra info that could be gleaned from this army pay book - you can view in full by clicking through, then clicking Load in Full Resolution)

TUMMON-Michael-Army-Record-Book.jpg

It looks like (my comments in square brackets):

[faint scribble] FD 1869 [is this a year - what might "FD" mean?] Louisa [wife] [something illegble] "66th Regiment"
    1872- [not sure does this mean their birthdate?] Children Mary-Ann/Elizabeth
    Father [faint scribble - could be press-thru from another document]
    Mother [two year dates on left and more scribbles] Ann - Croomlagh - Cavan [presumably her latest residence or place of birth]
    Brothers and Sisters [text struck through so not sure if accidental - looks like was about to write daughter Elizabeth down again]

If anything thinks that in particular the scribbles in the 3d panel mean anything please let me know,

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

#oceanclub probably this won't be much help but could it be 'High. i.e. Highlanders 66th Regiment? The sister looks like Eliza. That's all I can get from it.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can decipher the date on this?

Also, would the names Ellie and Ellen have been considered interchangeable in the early 1900s? I'm trying to decide if two certs I have and a census record are for the same person.

January tenth? Would need the full page to be more sure.

Ellie/Ellen could easily be the same person. Maybe also Nell, Helen, Eleanor etc.. However, ideally look for something else too - a location, surname of witness etc..

Please post the full page link.

It's *literally* written in the thread title.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Please post the full page link.

It's *literally* written in the thread title.

Apologies, perhaps edit thread title to 'full page of document' for clarity.

Item 469.

Yes, I'd be fairly sure it's January tenth.

spurious wrote: »
    January tenth? Would need the full page to be more sure.

Ellie/Ellen could easily be the same person. Maybe also Nell, Helen, Eleanor etc.. However, ideally look for something else too - a location, surname of witness etc..

The date would be in line with my thoughts. I'm trying to match the person to a 1901 census return. As they died in early 1955, their year of birth, I imagine, would have been 1887. The person was 14 in 1901. This would tie in with the census document I have.

I'm trying to trace my great great grandparents through my great great aunt. I'm not having much luck through my own great grandparents. They had very common names which is leading to loads of results. The linked document is my great grandmother.....I think...it's my best guess.

I'm trying to tie my great great aunt (through her marriage cert) to my great grandmother and great great grandparents through the census as I have more concrete information about her. She is Ellen on her marriage cert but down as Ellie on the census, hence my asking about the name.

Apologies, perhaps edit thread title to 'full page of document' for clarity.

Item 469.

It's already been edited to that effect.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    It's already been edited to that effect.

Again, I apologise. When I see the words link and page in the same sentence I think of a link to a website/web page. A bit thick of me, I hold my hands up.

• Advertisement

Please keep discussion to just deciphering the words.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭VicWynne

Hi folks, Yet again I seek your wisdom....
    The entry at the bottom of the page is for the marriage of James Barton and Mary McNamara.... I'm having difficulty making out what it says... The details for James are ok, but for Mary... does it say "maiden"??? It's not spinster (as I'd expect) or widow.... I can't make out her 'rank or profession' or her 'place of residence'. All help gratefully received.
    Many thanks.

In case it doesn't link the link - here's another attempt:
    civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1865/11569/8256311.pdf

You're missing some of the link Vic.

EDIT: Here we go... LINK

I think it says spinster and I'd gather this is her first marriage.
    Not sure about the place of residence for her - something ending ough.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Condition: maiden
    Profession: looks like it begin shur
    Address: not familiar with the geography of that area but begins with M and ends ough. Could it be Molougha?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

I think condition is maiden; rank /profession is spinster; and residence looks like Mianough.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Barney224

I was looking for confirmation on the Father's name (John???) and Father's Occupations on the 2nd entry of this marriage cert. It's the marriage between Michael Kane and Eliza Doyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Looks like John to me for the father. The father's occupation could be Corn Porter. I'm comparing the P in Porter with the P in Patrick on the witness's name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Barney224 wrote: »
    I was looking for confirmation on the Father's name (John???) and Father's Occupations on the 2nd entry of this marriage cert. It's the marriage between Michael Kane and Eliza Doyle.

I'd say John Kane was a Corn Porter too, and Robert Doyle was a Drayman (worked with dray horses)

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I'd say John Kane was a Corn Porter too, and Robert Doyle was a Drayman (worked with dray horses)

That's brilliant, thanks JellyBaby and VirginiaB. I never heard of a Corn Porter before, so that's very interesting.

• Advertisement

Sorry, one last query. Do you reckon the address for Robert Doyle is "North Earl Street"?

Thanks

Advertisement