Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nude sauna

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭airman101

very well put tax ah cruel... some do and some dont.... no shame either way!!! i myself am looking forward to the weekly crumlin swim...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

hi,just had my first nude sauna with my wife in europe and found it very exhilarating,notting pervy about it as it natural to do it that way and every one else was naked to,is the anywere in ireland that allowys this.

PICS OR GTFO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

The only sauna I've been in in Ireland was naked, though single sex, so I assumed they all were.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

What is the protocol when you get a boner? Do you just cover it with a towel? Or do you politely excuse yourself and go blow your load in the jacks?

finish the Assembly, send the kids back to class and go back to your office for a lie down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Liberal Irishman

Can you sauna nude in Ireland and if so were ???????

There are gay saunas in Ireland where nude is the norm. Biggest is probably the boilerhouse in Dublin, if that’s your thing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Liberal Irishman

airman101 wrote: »
    Hi all, there is a nudist swim in Crumlin swimming pool on Wednesday evenings between 8 and 9pm, its excellent, nothing sexual, all types of people and all shapes of bodies, nothing to be embarassed about, give it a go.,...

Do they have a jacuzzi there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

latenia wrote: »
    The whole naturism thing is a little bit "Third Reichish" for me and I find it interesting that the movement sprung from the same era and locations that gave us fascism.
    Clothes have developed into a lot more than just something to keep us warm-we cover up our lower halves as a sign that we aren't just animals who sh1t, piss and fuck.
    I don't buy the whole prudish Irish thing either-are continental males different that they don't get turned on by naked women?

eh ? the scandinavians and western russians have done " the naturism " thing for hundreds of years , germany might have only started in recent times , post 20's i would imagine but dont know for sure
    my wife is finnish , in her family they still have her great grandfathers house/farm and i have seen a nearly 150 year old sauna , that's a long time before fascism became fashionable in northern Europe .

and for a measure in the difference of our attitudes against the Scandinavians - Finns in particular
    i visited some neighbors of the in laws , never met this family before , within 30 minutes i was naked in the sauna with the father of the family having a beer , with his wife and his two kids , also my wife and my daughter
    this kind of thing is totally normal if find in Finland .

i also went to a local hotel with a swimming pool , went in got changed , walked out of my changing cubical and was confronted by a 18 year old absolute slamming hottie in tight shorts , she worked cleaning the area
    place filled with naked blokes of all ages and body type and no one gave a **** - did i mention i was naked

one thing about being in a group naked situation is you are really aware of how ****ing WHITE irish people are :eek: i looked like a bowling pin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

punchdrunk wrote: »
    **** it anyway! I spent a whole WEEK in finland and never heard about the nudie saunas :(

Bogland noticed your absence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

dj jarvis wrote: »
    and i have seen a nearly 150 year old sauna , that's a long time before fascism became fashionable in northern Europe .

There is a difference between saunas, particularly those in a domestic or localised setting, where nudity is more of a practicality and a comfort issue and the type of naturism I'm referring to. I don't even have a problem with people doing their own thing at a quiet beach or lake if that's what they prefer.
    It's the mass gatherings of people at beaches or camps where there is undoubtably an element of exhibitionism combined with smug superiority that I'm criticising here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 saatana

Wearing any garment in a sauna is distinctly uncomfortable. It is never done in the Nordic region, where the sauna (or "bastu" as it is called in Sweden or "badstue" in Norway) is an integral part of the people's lifestyle. Mixed bathing is common (but not the general rule) within families and among close friends. No big deal. Don't worry about getting, as they say in parts of Ireland, "a brang" in the sauna. It's not likely in a temperature of up to 110 degree C (ideally around 95).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Emiko

I used to go to one regularly abroad.

The changing rooms were unisex, the showers were unisex, and everyone was nude apart from the occasional woman covering her modesty with a towel.

It was all very relaxed, and no big deal for anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭heidi_ho

Last year the oil man that used to deliver my oil asked me to join him and his wife in a naked sauna.
    I politely declined and never ordered from that company again

Not that I wouldn't be open to the idea but just not with him and his wife at his house... i;d be scared and scarred for life i would imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

heidi_ho wrote: »
    Last year the oil man that used to deliver my oil asked me to join him and his wife in a naked sauna.
    I politely declined and never ordered from that company again

Not that I wouldn't be open to the idea but just not with him and his wife at his house... i;d be scared and scarred for life i would imagine!

Look at you boasting bout your oil man.............:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭heidi_ho

mattjack wrote: »
    Look at you boasting bout your oil man.............:pac:

Hardly boasting, AND he's my ex-oil man!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

latenia wrote: »
    There is a difference between saunas, particularly those in a domestic or localised setting, where nudity is more of a practicality and a comfort issue and the type of naturism I'm referring to. I don't even have a problem with people doing their own thing at a quiet beach or lake if that's what they prefer.
    It's the mass gatherings of people at beaches or camps where there is undoubtably an element of exhibitionism combined with smug superiority that I'm criticising here.

ok but your forgetting the rights of the nudists , and ill give you a example

i used to run a bar in germany , busy irish bar
    we have a customer who won the right in a german court to walk around naked when and where he liked ( out in public not in private business )
    it was in the middle of a tourist area - very like temple bar but with less puke but more serial killers

he used to wander around sunday evenings in " temple bar " with nothing but flip flops and a yellow sports walk man
    now family's would sit next to him and eat and other would drink with him , some bars let him in , some did not
    most people did not care because like me i realized it was just a naked bloke , i just got used to him , very soon he was a normal ( ? ) as everyone else

my point being , he was doing no harm , if it bothered you then just dont look at him , and it was as simple as that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

dj jarvis wrote: »
    and i have seen a nearly 150 year old sauna

Yea well I have seen a nearly 150 year old in a sauna.

I don't go into them anymore now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

hi,just had my first nude sauna with my wife in europe and found it very exhilarating,notting pervy about it as it natural to do it that way and every one else was naked to,is the anywere in ireland that allowys this.

Why would you describe it as exhilarating? Was the sauna on a roller-coaster at fucking Eurodisney?

Its only a bit of fcuking flesh for jaysus sakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Have not read all the posts but would these nude saunas be breeding grounds for infections and the like.

Have not read all the posts but would these nude saunas be breeding grounds for infections and the like.

Nah they can't survive the 70 degree and higher temperatures

Needler wrote: »
    Nah they can't survive the 70 degree and higher temperatures

Just checked it out on google I think I will have to disagree.;)

• Advertisement

Just checked it out on google I think I will have to disagree.;)

Whats the right answer so? LETHAL LADY killed all the infections because she's so LETHAL?

Ok keep your hair on just personally would not use a nude sauna that is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

As for the posts further up the thread about prudishness and a fear of nudity being an Irish thing. It applies in all English-speaking countries to a large degree.

Most Brits would be *extremely* uncomfortable about nude saunas, same goes for Americans etc etc.

It's good old Victorian prudishness, nothing to do with Ireland or Catholic values or anything else.

Let's not forget the Victorians went for a swim in the sea in a "Bathing Machine" which was basically a garden shed with water holes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathing_machine

You couldn't even say "leg" in polite company : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_morality

Check out this very very very stern and totally proper guide to conjugal rights : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ivsb79-h90 (Harry Enfield and Chums)

Don't worry mods, it is about the least explicit thing you could ever see!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

I was told that back in the old days women were brought into the sauna when giving birth, the sauna was obviously not "on" and we are talking over a hundred years ago when small communities of houses had a shared sauna. Or at least that what was said to me, could just be one of those tales they tell foreigners.

As for infections in modern times, when in a sauna ideally you are expected to sit on either:
    Your own cloth (like a face cloth),
    Your own towel,
    A paper/disposable towel provided by the sauna incase you only brought the one towel.
    In reality I almost never brought my own towel and usually forgot about the disposable ones.

Ok keep your hair on just personally would not use a nude sauna that is all.

but the nude sauna would be interesting if people didn't have their hair on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

ixoy wrote: »
    Visited Tokyo last year and tried out the hot spas. They were sex-segregated and very strict on no swimwear being worn in the waters.

Why did this image pop into my head when I read that?

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l9ofumTSe01qdhchbo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Taloolah

So bottom line is: Ireland - prudish about nudity, Scandinavian countries not so much.

Personally, I like that countries have differences. If we were all the same how boring would that be?

So Ireland's 'character' is that of being uptight in saunas - how about we embrace our personality instead of trying to fit in wit the cool kids?

Just putting it out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Taloolah wrote: »
    So bottom line is: Ireland - prudish about nudity, Scandinavian countries not so much.

Personally, I like that countries have differences. If we were all the same how boring would that be?

So Ireland's 'character' is that of being uptight in saunas - how about we embrace our personality instead of trying to fit in wit the cool kids?

Just putting it out there...

Took you 18 months to draw that conclusion :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I go at the gym all the time, but just wear a towel. Is that acceptable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I'd say most Irish people just don't fancy getting their kit off in front of strangers/the sight of sagging bodies. Can't see how that's necessarily prudish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement