Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2018 - General discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Ballinasloe co galway 08/11/18 8.16 temperature 5°C
    ti98SNE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

What is overtopping as mentioned in tonight s rte1 weather forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭highdef

Waves overtopping sea defences and coming onto the land, in short.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,913 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Parents and I were saying same thing what the hell is over topping and when I googled it it was waved coming over barriers. Why could they not just have said that very high waves breaching. It's like the 200% increase in rain the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Forecasters commentary update

The area of low pressure we have been watching is now about 1200km west-northwest of Newfoundland in the Atlantic...

I think she meant east northeast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Roscommon 09/11/18 8.22 temperature 7°C
    A8Ju6w0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lashing here in cork city. Heaviest rain I’ve seen in a while. Edit: Here comes the gusts of wind.
    It’s a day for movies and a blanket I think!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Lashing here in cork city. Heaviest rain I’ve seen in a while. Edit: Here comes the gusts of wind.
    It’s a day for movies and a blanket I think!

Indeed. This rainfall will certainly go a long way in reducing the soil moisture deficits which are still high in many areas of the south.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

thankfully the rain has held off here up to now, at least I was able to get the shopping done before the rain arrives. Looks to be alot of rain heading this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

spookwoman wrote: »
    Parents and I were saying same thing what the hell is over topping and when I googled it it was waved coming over barriers. Why could they not just have said that very high waves breaching. It's like the 200% increase in rain the other day.

overtopping is a wonderfully expressive word. Love it!

• Advertisement

After turning worse in cork city. Winds have gained and the rain has become torrential. Leaves flying through the sky.

Hard, heavy loud deluge... a small pond at the bottom of the path here already..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Midday

Sherkin gusting 59 knots
    Roaches point 54 knots
    Cork airport 48 knots
    Mace head 45 knots

Belmullet down to 977hpa

1230 Cork airport gusting 50 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Anyone know where to see a rainfall radar forecast for the rest of the day? The MET eireann one just shows what's already happened which to me is completely useless! I'd like to see when the worst of it is forecast to hit the east to plan my commute home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Anyone know where to see a rainfall radar forecast for the rest of the day? The MET eireann one just shows what's already happened which to me is completely useless! I'd like to see when the worst of it is forecast to hit the east to plan my commute home.

It's going to start in Dublin in an hour and last past rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Got very windy here in the last hour, looks a horrible rotten afternoon ahead, fire will be lit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very heavy rain in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

If your looking at the met radar on the PC it is in the menu on the right.
    Weather Maps, Rainfall Forecast (7 day)

Got very windy here in the last hour, looks a horrible rotten afternoon ahead, fire will be lit

Absolutely bucketing down here now

• Advertisement

Coming and go in cork city now, constant torrential rain has stopped thankfully. Garden is flooded though.

Absolutely bucketing down here now

Yep. Seems to be a really heavy patch of rain in east Meath, about 20mm/hr going by the colour guide.

465736.jpg

Worst has passed through Castlebar now ,never got very windy but lots of surface water mainly due to blocked drains.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

21.2mm of rain in Castlebar since midnight with a max gust of 88 km/hr, pressure is still currently at 975.17 hPa.

17-pdr wrote: »
    Yep. Seems to be a really heavy patch of rain in east Meath, about 20mm/hr going by the colour guide.

465736.jpg

Yeah i'd be close to where that red patch was, not so heavy now, lightened off a good bit

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrible conditions at Dunshaughlin now, very wet and windy, very dark too. Not a day to be going anywhere.

Can see some blue sky in Cork City now actually :P Worst of it stopped around 1pm thankfully. Dark and cloudy mostly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Currently having some of the heaviest rain of the year north east of kilkenny city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

Sky brightening nicely from the South West, looks like the final rain front is passing Limerick now.

• Advertisement

Darwin wrote: »
    Sky brightening nicely from the South West, looks like the final rain front is passing Limerick now.

Yes, brighter here too. West Mayo offshore island

Advertisement