Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Autumn 2018 - General discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

This month's looking like a repeat of November 2009.

I’d settle for a very wet November if it meant a settled December with increasingly colder weather like late December 2009 into Jan 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Hard to see flooding this winter when water levels are so low at the moment

That doesn't really have an effect on whether it will flood or not. An extreme amount of rain could still cause a completely dry river to flood - once it reaches a point where discharge rate isn't fast enough to shift the incoming volume downstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭giveitholly

MJohnston wrote: »
    That doesn't really have an effect on whether it will flood or not. An extreme amount of rain could still cause a completely dry river to flood - once it reaches a point where discharge rate isn't fast enough to shift the incoming volume downstream.
    Well hard to see flooding on the scale of 2009 is what I meant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭highdef

It was a very wet day with high winds in Dublin today.

QUOTE]

I was working in Dublin all day today (D8) and there were no high winds at all. The highest winds reported (non gusting) in any of the hourly reports today at Dublin Airport did not exceed 35km/h. I know Dun Laoghaire is closer to the sea than the airport but I really do doubt that there were high winds there at any stage today considering I experienced nothing more than a moderate breeze in D8, strongest from late morning till lunchtime or so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today was one of the darkest and wettest days of the past year, several very heavy downpours throughout the day spaced apart with periods of drizzle and light rain. House lights on nearly all day.

The next 2 to 3 weeks looks often mild and unsettled indeed with low pressures always near or over Ireland, the Atlantic is back showing who is boss. This Friday looks like a total washout followed by a slightly cooler and showery weekend.

• Advertisement

Well hard to see flooding on the scale of 2009 is what I meant

Maybe, although it doesn't seem like there are many rivers running below normal levels on https://waterlevel.ie/ in the south-west

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

November 2009 would not be one anyone would want repeated. Here is some aerial footage of the Shannon floods taken on December 3rd that year. Not the best quality but the photos at the end are better.

https://youtu.be/3JGZEiwkmgc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

heavy rain here for past while yet again, gutters overflowing. The past 24 hours here has been very wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Bucketing down here this morning and most of the night, ah how i miss those clear sunny mornings - days from last week

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

highdef wrote: »
    It was a very wet day with high winds in Dublin today.

QUOTE]

I was working in Dublin all day today (D8) and there were no high winds at all.

It was very windy/gusty here in Dublin 16 yesterday morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

wild, wet and noisy out here in the Atlantic. A day to stay home...Feel for those of you who have to be out in it....stay dry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Very wet morning in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

22 hours of non stop rain in Drogheda. Miserable weather.

Sudden bright sunshine out here.... West Mayo, offshore island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Now I know what's it's like to live on the Atlantic coast :(

just stopped raining here a short while ago after another miserable morning, got close to 24 hours of continuous rainfall.

Lovely calm, quiet, dry evening.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Graces7 wrote: »
    Lovely calm, quiet, dry evening.

Give it an hour or two....normal service will resume! :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Give it an hour or two....normal service will resume! :P

You drew it on us DOCARACH, pouring here in Kerry now!

But was a really great day with good sunshine and deep blue skies for a lot of it after the early morning rain cleared even though it just got up to 10.4C but with nice crisp clean air with low humidity. Feeling much cooler now this evening at 6.3C

EDIT: Lashing!

Netweather

ctZ1ay1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Light rain has started in cork city.

Edit: Lashing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Read a probably bull**** article predicting Big wind on Friday. I'm flying in from Portugal in the early evening and my OH is landing from USA an hour or two later. She doesn't have keys to my place. Anyone with an eye for models (not me) able to assess the chances of either or both our flights being cancelled. (with a particular note for her USA flight being okay, and my flight being cancelled as worst case scenario)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Double post ooops

errlloyd wrote: »
    Read a probably bull**** article predicting Big wind on Friday. I'm flying in from Portugal in the early evening and my OH is landing from USA an hour or two later. She doesn't have keys to my place. Anyone with an eye for models (not me) able to assess the chances of either or both our flights being cancelled. (with a particular note for her USA flight being okay, and my flight being cancelled as worst case scenario)

Presuming you're talking about Dublin Airport, disruption seems likeliest between 3pm and 6pm. How much is uncertain at this stage.

Tempestuous deluges and icy storms.... Typical volatile autumn weather.. west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Galway, Mayo, Cork, Kerry, Tipperary and Waterford

Heavy rain will lead to accumulations of around 25 to 40mm but may exceed these limits in mountainous areas.

Issued: Thursday 08 November 2018 10:00

Updated: Thursday 08 November 2018 10:00

Valid from Friday 09 November 2018 06:00 to Friday 09 November 2018 18:00

Meteorologist commentary:

Information to follow was included by Meteorologist Liz Walsh on Wednesday 7th November

It’s been a rather unsettled week of weather so far with spells of wet and windy weather. Excess water has occurred on the roads at times, with spot flooding compounded by autumn leaves blocking drains.

Our weather will remain unsettled through the rest of this week, and Met Éireann forecasters have been monitoring developments for this Friday 9th November particularly closely. There are a number of low pressure systems or depressions dotted around the North Atlantic at present, but the one we are particularly interested in is an area of low pressure over Newfoundland in Canada which is expected to move out into the Labrador Sea tonight, Wednesday night.

This low pressure system will travel eastwards across the Atlantic by Friday, helped by a strong jet stream which will serve to deepen the low significantly by the time it comes close to our shores. The (by then) deep low will travel northwards to the west of Ireland during Friday, and the associated fronts will track in over Ireland during Friday morning and afternoon bringing strong winds and heavy rain and there is potential for severe and damaging gusts, especially on coasts. There is also a risk of coastal damage due to wave overtopping, with the timing of the strongest winds coinciding with high tide on some coasts.

We’ll be closely monitoring forecast data from our 54-hour high resolution model, HARMONIE over the next 12 to 24 hours with further updates to follow.

See the first hourly wind and rain projections for Friday morning 9th Nov from HARMONIE below:

ForecasterCommentary3-2-1024x611.png

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Valid from Friday 09 November 2018 06:00 to Friday 09 November 2018 18:00

Before that (tomorrow), looks like a wet/vary wet afternoon in store for the east coast! Rain incoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Munster and Connacht

Southeasterly winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h with gusts of 90 to 110km/hr. Gusts will exceed these values in exposed coastal areas and on higher ground, especially in the southwest.

Issued: Thursday 08 November 2018 11:00
    Updated: Thursday 08 November 2018 11:00
    Valid from Friday 09 November 2018 04:00 to Friday 09 November 2018 15:00

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal

Southeasterly winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h with gusts of 90 to 110km/hr. Gusts will exceed these values in exposed coastal areas and on higher ground, especially in the southeast.
    Issued: Thursday 08 November 2018 11:00
    Updated: Thursday 08 November 2018 11:00

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Forecasters commentary update

The area of low pressure we have been watching is now about 1200km west-northwest of Newfoundland in the Atlantic . It will soon begin to deepen rapidly over the next 24 hours as it swings eastwards across the Atlantic before it makes a turn northwards on Friday morning around 500km off the west coast of Ireland. Rain and wind associated with this vigorous system will begin to affect the west and southwest of the country between 4 and 6am on Friday.

The rainfall warning covers a number of counties including Mayo, Galway, Cork, Kerry, Tipperary, Waterford, Wexford, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Kildare, Carlow, Dublin and Louth and is valid from 6am to 6pm. Rain will become widespread on Friday with some intense bursts of rain occurring over a relatively short time period which will lead to spot flooding. The heaviest of the rain will occur in the west and southwest during the morning and early afternoon. The focus of the heaviest rain will then transfer eastwards through the early and late afternoon, with the rain giving way to scattered showers in the west and southwest.

As the wind is coming from a rapidly deepened low, the atmosphere will be unstable which means that gusts will feature prominently in many areas. Most of the gusts will be within the limits of our yellow warning criteria – up to 110km/hr – but exposed coastal regions and areas of higher ground inland, especially in the southwest, south and southeast, will experience gusts greater than this – possibly up to 125km/hr. Winds of this speed can cause significant damage and caution is advised

Glad of the warning out here and all in readiness. Thank you. Stay safe.. west mayo offshore island

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Athlone 08/11/18 17.31 temperature 7°C
    UTmmYij.jpg

Advertisement