Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PS2 laser replacement

• 02-11-2018 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Have a US playstation 2 (fat, need to check model).
    PS games work (generally) PSone don't. Cleaned lens but likely a new laser unit needed. Any pitfalls I need to be on the lookout for?
    Ebay has "new" units that need solder removed. Shouldnt be too hard. But does that replace the ps1 bit as well as the ps2 bit? As i understand it, theres one laser but two lenses?

Thanks,
    M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I replaced the laser in a PS2-Test many years ago and I don't remember having to solder anything. The unit I installed was very like this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

There is an anti-static solder bridge that needs to be removed before installing, don't have the iron too hot (300-350) and you shouldn't damage the flexi cable.

Two different laser on it alright, separate ones for DVD & CD as the operate on different wavelengths. Bluray drive need 3 of them !!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Perhaps I could do this for my hard modded PS2?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Perhaps I could do this for my hard modded PS2?

If the laser unit is shot yup, just need to find a good replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mm_surf

Sweet. I'll give it a shot. Probably get one of the techies at work to remove the solder bridge, rather than my cack handed attempts with my 10 dollah soldering iron.

Thanks all!

• Advertisement
Advertisement