Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drought/Low Rainfall Watch - Summer 2018

• 22-06-2018 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭

With the continuing possibility of low rainfall totals continuing for the rest of the month in many places, I think this deserves a thread of its own for us to keep tabs on rainfall totals around the country, not only for this period of the summer but for the rest of the season.

This table below shows rainfall totals at a few very select Met Éireann stations over the last 30, 15 and 7 days, and clearly shows the uneven distribution of rainfall over the respective periods at this small number of stations dotted around the country.

d53d1v4.png

As you can see, both Finner Camp in Donegal and Mt. Dillon in Roscommon have received healthy amounts of prep over the respective periods, but Dublin Apt is faring very poorly.

I will updated this table and include a good number of other stations later tonight or sometime tomorrow so as we can get a better feel of where drought concerns are likely to be at there most highest, especially considering the heatwave conditions that are coming in for next week.

Feel free to post your own data at anytime.

All data from Met Éireann.

New Moon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

All of the grass verges, roundabouts and even the garden here have deteoriorated rapidly in the last week or two. Now more brown than green. I'm amazed there aren't water issues already although I guess the mountains will have fared much better and Poulaphouca / Leixlip resevoirs will still have some reserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Another interesting thing to keep track of is the sunshine totals. Dublin Airport had 191.3 hours of sunshine (more than a full May's worth of sun on average) during the previous warm spell from May 22nd to June 12th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Another interesting thing to keep track of is the sunshine totals. Dublin Airport had 191.3 hours of sunshine (more than a full May's worth of sun on average) during the previous warm spell from May 22nd to June 12th.

Interesting Syran. I'll leave those sun stats in your more that capable hands. You can use this thread if you wish, as the main 'Kermie' one is likely to move too fast, as Kermie threads tend to do. At least on here your stats won't be lost forever in the space of minutes.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭pauldry

Those totals also remember that of Mt Dillons total 30mm was in a few hours in a thunderstorm.

Finner had 20mm of its total on Tuesday and one other wet day in May beinging in 60 per cent of its toal

Markree had 50 per cent of its total on Tuesday

Sporadic rainfall like this doesnt diminish the drought

The day after Tuesdays deluge there were huge puddles in places in Sligo but it was very windy since and all water gone by Thursday.

Running this evening I notice no dark green grass at racecourse and a lot is starting to get a little yellow.

The edges of the grass on the footpaths is dead completely and this is the wet northwest.
    Must be getting very bad in Leinster

pauldry wrote: »
    Those totals also remember that of Mt Dillons total 30mm was in a few hours in a thunderstorm.

Finner had 20mm of its total on Tuesday and one other wet day in May beinging in 60 per cent of its toal

Markree had 50 per cent of its total on Tuesday

Sporadic rainfall like this doesnt diminish the drought

The day after Tuesdays deluge there were huge puddles in places in Sligo but it was very windy since and all water gone by Thursday.

Running this evening I notice no dark green grass at racecourse and a lot is starting to get a little yellow.

The edges of the grass on the footpaths is dead completely and this is the wet northwest.
    Must be getting very bad in Leinster

Good point, and I will include 'number of dry days' in the stats also. I think given my totals this month that I am in one of the wettest parts of the country this month so far, but most of the rain came in short, violent bursts, which does not seemed to have helped the state of the grass in the fields close to my housing estate. Noticed a slightly more 'yellow' look to the grass in them today with that usual green lustre curiously dimmed.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

North Kildare here and there is brown everywhere already. Seriously dry ground

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Same here around Maynooth, grass on verges, around manholes, streetlights etc is all dead and large patches of brown appearing everywhere else. With 10 days of hot dry sunshine looking likely the place will start to resemble southern Spain by the time we hit July. I'm loving the weather personally but its definitely getting increasingly worrying for farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Same here in Cork City. All the verges are going orange and the ground is rock hard/ turning Dusty.

109mm of rain for the all of June last year, 65.6mm in 2016 and 54.3 in 2015, with the average at 80.9 Currently at 10.4mm (possibly a bit less depending on location give or take 1mm) near the end of June. Well below average

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

April was an above average rainfall month here in South Laois with 84.7mm recorded (62mm Avg). A total of 20.6mm fell on the 16th of April which was the last "drenching" we got here.

May was quite a dry month with just 30.6mm recorded. Wet days (1.0mm or more) were noted on May 1st (5.3mm); May 7th (1.0mm); May 9th, 10th and 11th (3.3mm, 5.4mm and 9.7mm); May 20th (2.2mm); and May 26th (1.2mm). Above 0.2mm and below 1mm (rain days) fell on days 2, 3, 8, 19 and 21.

June is very dry thus far (17.6mm) and looks like the game is up for rainfall unless a rouge thunderstorm delivers. Wet days (1mm or more) were noted on June 1st (1.9mm); June 8th (10.6mm - thunderstorm); June 15th (2.0mm) and 16th (1.6mm). Above 0.2mm and below 1mm (rain days) fell on days 13, 18, and 19.

The year to date rainfall is 414.1mm which is very close to the expected 423mm (1961-1990 avg) we would normally record come July 1st.

This data is from a standard copper gauge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Just to add, the ground here is akin to concrete with grass notably yellow and quite brown on verges beside concrete and tarmacadam surfaces. Silage cut fields (a couple of weeks ago now) have a distinct illuminous yellow appearance. Rivers are very low with widespread weed well above the water surface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

There is a field here-South East Tipp- where an old boreen used to go through,that section of 50mx5m normally turns yellow after 4-5 weeks of very dry weather every few years and it's already like that. I don't remember '76 but this is one to watch...Missed the thunderstorm rain by a few miles recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Water table is very high

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

hinault wrote: »
    Water table is very high

Maybe in very boggy land, but wells are going dry in places here in Kilkenny, the ground is rock hard, grass is sounding crunchy from drying out and brows of hills are burning up/turning brown, rivers are very low - this doesn't happen with high water tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

Very dry here in East wicklow. No real rainfall for a good few weeks and none forecast. Ground is rock hard. Getting some new roads built at the moment on the farm so I'll take the weather but growth is non existing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

I've just cut the grass in my back garden in Glasnevin but it was mainly cutting some daisies; there was no real grass to cut. It was very dusty as well. It's 20.5C now and the haziness has cleared to leave clear skies. There's a gentle breeze masking it feel quite pleasant.

Some stats from Dunsany, Co. Meath over the last 30 days (May 24th - June 22nd)

Rainfall total: 13.9mm
    Highest daily total: 4.1mm (Jun 16)
    Number of absolute dry days (0.0mm) 17
    Longest consecutive run of absolute dry days: 10 ( Jun 3 - 12)
    Number of days with 0.2mm or less: 22

Datums from Met Éireann.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I go to Sardinia every summer, where all grass vegetation is whitish yellow in summer, but it's starting to look that in places here now too. Certainly come this time next week it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    I've just cut the grass in my back garden in Glasnevin but it was mainly cutting some daisies; there was no real grass to cut. It was very dusty as well. It's 20.5C now and the haziness has cleared to leave clear skies. There's a gentle breeze masking it feel quite pleasant.

Everything here is green and lusty. We got that deluge last week and this is a pure bog area anyways. West Mayo offshore island.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Not looking great for rain.

162-777UK_usc7.GIF

uakfNQ5.png

Sunshine totals (hours) for Irish stations from the 21st-23rd June 2018.

Shannon Airport and Cork Airport reigning supreme so far. Some very high totals already with more than 40 hours at multiple stations just for this 3-day period alone.

Station|21 Jun|22 Jun|23 Jun|Total
    Belmullet|12.7|13.6|14.2|40.5
    Casement Aerodrome|14.1|15.8|13.4|43.3
    Cork Airport|13.2|15.7|14.8|43.7
    Dublin Airport|12.9|15.6|14.4|42.9
    Gurteen|8.1|14.7|15.5|38.3
    Johnstown Castle|2.9|15.8|15.5|34.2
    Knock Airport|10.8|10.9|13.7|35.4
    Malin Head|12.7|10.9|12.6|36.2
    Shannon Airport|13.3|15.1|15.6|44.0
    Valentia Observatory|12.3|15.3|15.5|43.1

Data comes from Met Éireann.

• Advertisement

I go to Sardinia every summer, where all grass vegetation is whitish yellow in summer, but it's starting to look that in places here now too. Certainly come this time next week it will.

Kildinia.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Out and about enjoying the sun today and the lack of green is getting very obvious now, any grass thats recently been cut is entirely brown and even the remaining green is very pale. Been a long time since I've seen the place this dry

20180624_132344_2.jpg

Table showing the mean max at most of the reporting Met Éireann stations for the month of June so far (data is up to yesterday).

aPzsIFA.png

This it is a possibility now that most stations will finish with the monthly mean maxima of above 20c, and possibly well above at some of them.

Information C/O Met Éireann.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Out and about enjoying the sun today and the lack of green is getting very obvious now, any grass thats recently been cut is entirely brown and even the remaining green is very pale. Been a long time since I've seen the place this dry

20180624_132344_2.jpg

This has convinced me to not cut my lawn to give it some protection, neighbor cut his yesterday and his front lawn is similar to this, mines a bit messy but a lot greener. In this house 3 summers and first time I've seen clover on it. Lots of other flowers aswell.

My laziness will hopefully be good for bees and other insects also :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

People are clueless, don't cut your grass! During drought best to leave it at about 5cm long as it's not growing and can't repair itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

MidMan25 wrote: »
    People are clueless, don't cut your grass! During drought best to leave it at about 5cm long as it's not growing and can't repair itself.

Well at least raise the height of cut up to the last on the mower. You can have a neat lawn and still a nice bit of length in the grass. I put out FeSO4 and some fertilizer before the dry spell and have been watering a few times a week. Grass is a lovely deep green. Neighbours plot is fried! Cut too low and zero watering.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The missus showed me a video of the forest (Coolmeelagh Woods) on fire on the Carnew to Bunclody road this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I wouldn't waste good water on grass; water your flowers by all means, but not grass.

It looks dead, but nothing kills grass. First rain will bring it back to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

cycled past Roundwood reservoir this morning - it didn't look particularly low (and I've seen it low in the past). Felt less guilty watering the plants this evening.

• Advertisement

Sunshine totals (hours) for Irish stations from the 21st-24th June 2018.

Shannon Airport still on top with Valentia Observatory and Cork Airport equaling for second sunniest stations during the period so far.

16.0 hours at Knock Airport makes it Ireland's sunniest June day since 2010.

Station|21 Jun|22 Jun|23 Jun|24 Jun|Total
    Belmullet|12.7|13.6|14.2|15.8|56.3
    Casement Aerodrome|14.1|15.8|13.4|14.8|58.1
    Cork Airport|13.2|15.7|14.8|14.9|58.6
    Dublin Airport|12.9|15.6|14.4|15.6|58.5
    Gurteen|8.1|14.7|15.5|15.9|54.2
    Johnstown Castle|2.9|15.8|15.5|5.6|39.8
    Knock Airport|10.8|10.9|13.7|16.0|51.4
    Malin Head|12.7|10.9|12.6|15.2|51.4
    Shannon Airport|13.3|15.1|15.6|15.2|59.2
    Valentia Observatory|12.3|15.3|15.5|15.5|58.6

Data comes from Met Éireann.