Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ilovesmecounty

Don't feel guilty for taking breaks! You're on the home stretch now. Hope it goes well for you and that you can get a place in Dublin (what's your first choice - UCD or RCSI?).

Much of a muchness really, I don't mind. Both appeal to me for various reasons. RCSI has a great research culture and went to both open evenings and I felt it had a better 'vibe' than UCD (It'd want to, since it costs more than the rest of them!). UCD is a little cheaper, and seems to have access to places that are easier to get to. It's also just over the road. I really haven't given that a second's thought, as the focus was improving on my score. In fact, I can't even remember what order I put down on my CAO! Where are you leaning toward?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

Much of a muchness really, I don't mind. Both appeal to me for various reasons. RCSI has a great research culture and went to both open evenings and I felt it had a better 'vibe' than UCD (It'd want to, since it costs more than the rest of them!). UCD is a little cheaper, and seems to have access to places that are easier to get to. It's also just over the road. I really haven't given that a second's thought, as the focus was improving on my score. In fact, I can't even remember what order I put down on my CAO! Where are you leaning toward?

UCD for me. I really like their course structure, I think it would suit me best overall. I'm halfway through the UCD vs RCSI thread here and it's a good read (haven't read it in a weeks though, must finish it one of the days :p). My undergrad was a Science degree, so some of the modules in first year UCD I should have a solid background in. I was impressed with the campus at the open evening, and I think their clinical network is better than RCSI. All of the courses have pros and cons, we'll all end up with the same degree at the end one way or another. :)

I've also Applied to ScotGEM in St. Andrews, won't know if I'm called for interview until end of April/May though.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭e1994

Bit of a side note but does anyone know what the parking situation is like around O'Reilly hall? :) I really don't want to be stressed looking for a place Saturday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chooey

Good advice! I answered numerically, but I felt pretty good for section III going into the exam. Did you end up doing GEM? If so, any insights? :)

No I did graduate entry veterinary. Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

e1994 wrote: »
    Bit of a side note but does anyone know what the parking situation is like around O'Reilly hall? :) I really don't want to be stressed looking for a place Saturday morning!

Go straight into UCD main entrance follow the road straight (not left as it splits into left and straight) then go right at the stop sign and up ahead theres a car park and you walk up and around that car park into ucd and get urself to oreilly easy enough!

Thats the best i could explain anyway hahah you can check on maps for a better idea

• Advertisement

Go straight into UCD main entrance follow the road straight (not left as it splits into left and straight) then go right at the stop sign and up ahead theres a car park and you walk up and around that car park into ucd and get urself to oreilly easy enough!

Thats the best i could explain anyway hahah you can check on maps for a better idea

That's great thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Sgro

Hi all,

First of all best of luck to everyone sitting the GAMSAT this weekend!

I intend to sit in September and am only really beginning any plan of action now.

I know registration for the GAMSAT does not open til about mid-May for the September sitting but want to do all I can to prepare now.

I come from a social science/business background and so would have very little science knowledge (although performed well in science in the LC in biology years ago, if that's worth anything).

I am traditionally quite strong in essay writing, reading comprehension etc. so my initial focus for now is Section 3.

I have been told the organic chemistry section can catch you off guard and so to start there, a previous thread here recommended the Organic Chemistry for Dummies book as a good resource.

I did not sit physics or chemistry for the LC so have minimal knowledge in these areas.

Can anyone recommend any other good resources?

& regarding Section 1 & 2 - is there any other knack to it rather than just practicing questions?

Thanks in advance, cheers

Has anyone done the practise test 3? (pink booklet)

Section 1 i did horrendous got 38/75 but S3 did the best i ever did and got 70/110 so not sure how to score myself here as the general rule seems to be +10 for S1 and +5 for S3, so for me would be 48 S1 points and 75 S3 points... strange

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mesallat

On other groups, people seem to be saying pink paper SIII is quite easy for Acer standards. Not sure if I agree with that, but purple paper SIII did seem to be much harder. There are questions on the pink paper that came up on the actual exam in sept though.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Ariana Grande

mesallat wrote: »
    On other groups, people seem to be saying pink paper SIII is quite easy for Acer standards. Not sure if I agree with that, but purple paper SIII did seem to be much harder. There are questions on the pink paper that came up on the actual exam in sept though.

I got the worst score I ever received on the Purple booklet for Section III. That would be fine if I had received that score like 2 weeks ago and not just yesterday so now my nerves are shot lol.

Does anyone have any last minute tricks on speeding up essay writing? I have a time plan (5min essay plan, 5 min intro, 5 min per point, 3 min conclusion and 2 min read over) but It's hard to stick to lol.

• Advertisement

I did the Green and Purple papers the weekend before the September exam (Wednesday 13th). I got 58 for SIII in both papers, 67 for the actual GAMSAT. The pink paper wasn't available back then. I did quite badly in some of the Des O'Neill. Don't stress about practice results too much. :)

Lads at this point, there's no gain whatsoever in panicking or trying to learn anything last minute. Take it easy today, I'm just going to read over my notes gently. You'll work yourself up otherwise. And of all people, I should be panicking. I did the Pink Section 3 this week and scored a 46 :confused:
    That said, when I went through it, I could see where I made the mistakes so hopefully revising today will stand to me. Hopefully!! Today's the day to remind yourself you've done your best and whatever happens now is out of your hands. All you can do is show up on time tomorrow and give that monster your all. Go team!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Limk88

Well done everyone for getting through today!!!

That was.. something else lol
    Section 3 was so weird..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 caroline94

The exam is creeping up so fast now! Hope the preparation is going well for everyone.

I have PDF's of the Acer papers and Des O'Neill notes if anyone wants them. :)

Hey :) Just wondering do you still have these, or know where I could possibly get them? I am thinking of sitting GAMSAT in Sep 2018, and trying to gather some resources :)

I'm disappointed with section 3 my timing was all over the place and ended up guessing about 40 questions :( it seemed to be a lot more reasoning based though which I suppose is fairer for those from a non-science background! We probably need to all put it out if our head though :)

caroline94 wrote: »
    Hey :) Just wondering do you still have these, or know where I could possibly get them? I am thinking of sitting GAMSAT in Sep 2018, and trying to gather some resources :)

Yes. Check your inbox. Buy the new Acer paper, I don’t have that but have the other ones.

The exam has changed - and is now much more reasoning based than it used to be. I sat the exam last September but spent ages going over chemistry, total waste of time. I should have spent more time on practise questions. Did well enough anyway to not have to sit it again. The exam is very doable.

Well. Well. WELL!!!
    Wasn't that exam a horror story yesterday? I sat in September so I can do a little bit of a comparison. Section 1 was very long yesterday. Last time round, and when I did practise questions at home I always had at least 10 minutes to spare. Yesterday the reading stimulus was much longer and I answered the last question in the last minute. Bear in mind, that this is one of my strong points and I spoke to several people who ran out of time yesterday, when they normally finish
    it. Section 2 was ok, can't complain. You could've written anything about themes from democracy, technology, affluence and happiness so it was nicely broad.
    But section 3!!!! I'm actually angry about it. I have spent months preparing based upon Acer past papers and study groups and everything in between. I bought the Pink Paper. I did it. None of the above prepared me for section 3. No questions on genetics, DNA, pH, electrochemistry, the cell, negative feedback. Nothing. A load of graphs and concepts that would be difficult to grasp for the first time, never mind in an exam under huge time pressure. I found September hard, as I just wasn't prepared. However, in hindsight, a prepared person would've found September much more straightforward than yesterday. I was on track for a 59-60 with my prep. I really don't know if I'll improve my 55 based on yesterday. Our only hope is that people found it difficult across the board and overall the marks will reflect that. Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Specsy

What a waste of money buying the new section 3 paper was, nothing could prepare me for that ****e. A section 3 unlike any sample or past paper

I studied everything about acids and bases inside and out... not even 1 question...

And for section 1, I think it went OKAY but Im so mad rn because when they came to collect the papers i noticed I had left 1 answer blank.... ffs
    Section 2 i couldnt think of any GREAT points but i followed a good structure so hope that suffices lol
    Section 3 went better than last year though, but i think it were more like the one we got in september i wouldve done much MUCH better this time. Best way to describe it without giving too much away it was like a sciencey section 1
    Well. Well. WELL!!!
    Wasn't that exam a horror story yesterday? I sat in September so I can do a little bit of a comparison. Section 1 was very long yesterday. Last time round, and when I did practise questions at home I always had at least 10 minutes to spare. Yesterday the reading stimulus was much longer and I answered the last question in the last minute. Bear in mind, that this is one of my strong points and I spoke to several people who ran out of time yesterday, when they normally finish
    it. Section 2 was ok, can't complain. You could've written anything about themes from democracy, technology, affluence and happiness so it was nicely broad.
    But section 3!!!! I'm actually angry about it. I have spent months preparing based upon Acer past papers and study groups and everything in between. I bought the Pink Paper. I did it. None of the above prepared me for section 3. No questions on genetics, DNA, pH, electrochemistry, the cell, negative feedback. Nothing. A load of graphs and concepts that would be difficult to grasp for the first time, never mind in an exam under huge time pressure. I found September hard, as I just wasn't prepared. However, in hindsight, a prepared person would've found September much more straightforward than yesterday. I was on track for a 59-60 with my prep. I really don't know if I'll improve my 55 based on yesterday. Our only hope is that people found it difficult across the board and overall the marks will reflect that. Meh.

i bought the pink one too lol oops.

Also a pro for the people worried bout results now: the required points tend to go down when a lot of people find the exam super hard, since its point based as far as i know, for example if 500 ppl gave the exam and 400 got 65 then it would be more skewed toward 65 than below it if that makes sense. which was the case this time i believe like i even see on reddit there were aussies complaining about how hard it was when australia is the place most people ace the gamsat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭santino

Well. Well. WELL!!!
    Wasn't that exam a horror story yesterday? I sat in September so I can do a little bit of a comparison. Section 1 was very long yesterday. Last time round, and when I did practise questions at home I always had at least 10 minutes to spare. Yesterday the reading stimulus was much longer and I answered the last question in the last minute. Bear in mind, that this is one of my strong points and I spoke to several people who ran out of time yesterday, when they normally finish it. Section 2 was ok, can't complain. You could've written anything about themes from democracy, technology, affluence and happiness so it was nicely broad.
    Specsy wrote: »
    What a waste of money buying the new section 3 paper was, nothing could prepare me for that ****e. A section 3 unlike any sample or past paper
    I studied everything about acids and bases inside and out... not even 1 question...

And for section 1, I think it went OKAY but Im so mad rn because when they came to collect the papers i noticed I had left 1 answer blank.... ffs
    Section 2 i couldnt think of any GREAT points but i followed a good structure so hope that suffices lol
    Section 3 went better than last year though, but i think it were more like the one we got in september i wouldve done much MUCH better this time. Best way to describe it without giving too much away it was like a sciencey section 1

Also a pro for the people worried bout results now: the required points tend to go down when a lot of people find the exam super hard, since its point based as far as i know, for example if 500 ppl gave the exam and 400 got 65 then it would be more skewed toward 65 than below it if that makes sense. which was the case this time i believe like i even see on reddit there were aussies complaining about how hard it was when australia is the place most people ace the gamsat

Hi. I'd echo people's thoughts above.

Section 1 was very long. I always had an issue with time in this so worked very hard on it and actually completed some practice exams on time without the 10 mins reading time. No joy on saturday though, had to guess the last 15 approx.

Happy with Section 2.

Section 3, not sure where to start. This was my 3rd attempt at the exam. Coming from a non-science background, I gave up work in December to focus on study full-time. I think my standard in Biology was fairly ok by the end, along with Org. Chemistry. Hadn't touched physics. I was doing ok in practice questions, not great, but passable. I hadn't a clue of 75% on Saturday, especially the graphs. Structure had all changed. Here's hoping for a lot of c's to come up :(

I said I wasn't going to post-mortem this but just very disappointed overall. Got 53% and 52% previously so not expecting to improve at all. I don't mind hard exams, just some fairness.

Best of luck.

santino wrote: »
    Well. Well. WELL!!!
    Wasn't that exam a horror story yesterday? I sat in September so I can do a little bit of a comparison. Section 1 was very long yesterday. Last time round, and when I did practise questions at home I always had at least 10 minutes to spare. Yesterday the reading stimulus was much longer and I answered the last question in the last minute. Bear in mind, that this is one of my strong points and I spoke to several people who ran out of time yesterday, when they normally finish it. Section 2 was ok, can't complain. You could've written anything about themes from democracy, technology, affluence and happiness so it was nicely broad.
    Specsy wrote: »

Hi. I'd echo people's thoughts above.

Section 1 was very long. I always had an issue with time in this so worked very hard on it and actually completed some practice exams on time without the 10 mins reading time. No joy on saturday though, had to guess the last 15 approx.

Happy with Section 2.

Section 3, not sure where to start. This was my 3rd attempt at the exam. Coming from a non-science background, I gave up work in December to focus on study full-time. I think my standard in Biology was fairly ok by the end, along with Org. Chemistry. Hadn't touched physics. I was doing ok in practice questions, not great, but passable. I hadn't a clue of 75% on Saturday, especially the graphs. Structure had all changed. Here's hoping for a lot of c's to come up :(

I said I wasn't going to post-mortem this but just very disappointed overall. Got 53% and 52% previously so not expecting to improve at all. I don't mind hard exams, just some fairness.

Best of luck.
    Your last line says it all. Just some fairness. I know that there are some people out there who are whizzes at reasoning. I know I am not. So I gave myself the best chance by studying as much as I can to know enough about certain topics so that when it came to the reasoning, I wouldn't be doing it blind. It was all blind to me last Saturday. Anyway. I know I did my best. I know now it might not be good enough but at the very least, I tried and gave it as much as I possibly could. You did the same. There is a consolation in that. I'm not sitting it a third time though. That's it. What will be will be.

I had the same feeling after the September exam, turned out OK in the end. I think you will all do better than you're expecting! The exam is designed to be stressful, highly doubt many people leave thinking they did well - even if it later transpires that they did.

Best of luck with the results. :)

I ended up blind guessing 40 questions in section 3 so I think it's safe enough to say I can write this one off.. it was my first try though so I'll hope to give it another shot in September and possibly apply to England also!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Limk88

Celestial did you sit the March exam as well?

Ilovesmecounty I can understand what you mean regarding not sitting it for a 3rd time, it is an exam that is mentally very tough! You did amazing in September and would more than likely get Limerick with a score like that - have you considered making the move down?

A fair exam would be nice but looking at the comments on online student boards in the UK and Oz it looks like we are all in the same boat so my hope is that the marking will be fair and our scores won’t be as bad as we think

For people applying for Limerick:

Has anyone received an application for their scholarship programme for disadvantaged backgrounds? I haven't yet and it's kinda making me nervous. I put UL as my number 1 on the CAO too.

Limk88 wrote: »
    Celestial did you sit the March exam as well?

Ilovesmecounty I can understand what you mean regarding not sitting it for a 3rd time, it is an exam that is mentally very tough! You did amazing in September and would more than likely get Limerick with a score like that - have you considered making the move down?

A fair exam would be nice but looking at the comments on online student boards in the UK and Oz it looks like we are all in the same boat so my hope is that the marking will be fair and our scores won’t be as bad as we think

If I have to I will. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Limerick, it just comes at extra cost for me (financially, professionally and personally). I re-sat the exam last week for fear the cut offs would go up. I think UL ended up being a 54 last year, which is far too close to 55 to be comfy, and also to aim for the Dublin colleges. To echo Sarah Palin here... I can see UCD from my house! I'm at an age now where hard decisions need to be made re children/houses/career etc which is why I've decided not to do it again in September. Judging by last Saturday anyway, I don't think doing it again would make a jot of difference! I hate wishing that others found it hard too, but it's the only way my mark will increase!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ChromosomeT

For people applying for Limerick:

Has anyone received an application for their scholarship programme for disadvantaged backgrounds? I haven't yet and it's kinda making me nervous. I put UL as my number 1 on the CAO too.

No, I haven't yet either. I imagine that it will be out possibly today or tomorrow (seeing as they said we would be invited to apply for it in March), however, it could be sometime next week even given how people might be off work over the Easter break.

I have just started my personal statement too, but we have until late May to complete it so don't fret too much just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Bartman26

No, I haven't yet either. I imagine that it will be out possibly today or tomorrow (seeing as they said we would be invited to apply for it in March), however, it could be sometime next week even given how people might be off work over the Easter break.

I have just started my personal statement too, but we have until late May to complete it so don't fret too much just yet.

Ilovesmecounty - I am in a very similar boat to you. Was fortunate enough to get Limerick last year and missed ucd by 2points..or one if it came down to 59 not sure if it did. In any case I was rejected the grad med loan because I bought a house in 07 when I was working full time which subsequently crashed into neg equity with the recession. So had to take a year out and go back to work. I sat the exam again on Sat didn't feel it went aswell so I'm really hoping 58 will get ucd this year as UL for me throws up financial issues too..not sure it would be viable I'd have to see. It's a shame the whole thing is so costly, it's not as if the career isn't hard enough as it is...well for those who make a vocation of it at least. I wish you the best for what may come👌

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Bartman26

Ilovesmecounty - I am in a very similar boat to you. Was fortunate enough to get Limerick last year and missed ucd by 2points..or one if it came down to 59 not sure if it did. In any case I was rejected the grad med loan because I bought a house in 07 when I was working full time which subsequently crashed into neg equity with the recession. So had to take a year out and go back to work. I sat the exam again on Sat didn't feel it went aswell so I'm really hoping 58 will get ucd this year as UL for me throws up financial issues too..not sure it would be viable I'd have to see. It's a shame the whole thing is so costly, it's not as if the career isn't hard enough as it is...well for those who make a vocation of it at least. I wish you the best for what may come!

Advertisement