Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford SMax

• 14-07-2009 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Looking for your thoughts on a five seat SMax compared to the seven seat version.
    What should the price diference be and is it worth considering

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭paddydriver

TBH we never even considered the 5 seater version but I can say that the S-Max in general is a great motor.

We imported our's in April and would not look back. Its a really comfortable drive and the 2.0 TDI just runs for ever on a tank. We drove to Dingle and back last week, did most of ring of Kerry, and still have 200 miles in the tank.

I setup the 7 seats when down there so we could all go in one car and it was comfortable for all. When the 2 rear seats are down there is still a very large boot so cannot see reason for not having them... except I think you can get a pull out load floor.

Best of luck with the choosing. You won't regret getting one. There is a great choice in the UK but prices here seem abit ambitious.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the S-Max is 7 seater only. The smaller C-Max is a 5 seater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 tweaf

Probably one of the best cars I've ever owned, economical, great to drive and versatile.

You'll probably find that most Irish cars have the seven seats, even though the extra two seats were an option here until late 07, now standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think the S-Max is 7 seater only. The smaller C-Max is a 5 seater.
    Yeah your right. The C-max is a bit like the golf plus, its based on the focus chassis.
    The S-max is based on the Galaxy/mondeo chassis.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Lite sleepeR

Thanks for replies. When the smax came out first it was an option to get it as a five seater. Have been offered one at a good price about 1500 less then 7 seater was wondering am i better off holding out for seven seats, for resale etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I would not consider a 5 seater at all, most people buy the SMAX for the seven seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lockster

I have and 07 S-max company car and when it was bought the lease company wouldn't even look at the option of a 5 seater due to the re-sale value. The fact that it has 7 seats and even with the rear seats up still has some space in the boot is the real selling point of the s-max. My advice would be to wait for a decent 7 seater to come up.

On the whole it is a great car, mine has had a few things go wrong but all fixed under warranty. Its 1.8 tdi and is fine for general use and a real work horse for moving family etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

We have a 7 seater as well. 2 litre diesel. A freggin great family car. Lots of power and it's allergic to Diesel.

Would I buy a 5 seater...... I don't think so. If you only want a 5 seater there are lots of other options out there. Also, as someone else mentioned, re-sale value would be poor.

The only thing that might be worth a thought is that you might pick up the 3rd row of seats in a scrap yard somewhere and get them fitted....!!!! Bit of a long shot, but it might be worth a phonecall to a few of the bigger breaker yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭mobby

I have a five seater suits me fine don’t need the extra seats to be honest just liked the car and it takes 5 adults comfortably and still has a massive boot area. Have to say it’s the best car I have had, it’s the 1.8tdi Titanium very well built, great mpg, no problems since purchased new. Only issue is, the no spare tyre or even place to store one, just a repair kit. but even that i hope to change next year for another s-max.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

BnA wrote: »

The only thing that might be worth a thought is that you might pick up the 3rd row of seats in a scrap yard somewhere and get them fitted....!!!! Bit of a long shot, but it might be worth a phonecall to a few of the bigger breaker yards.

You'd also need to pick up the seat belts and make sure the mounting points for the belts were there as well under the floor.

I ordered a few 5 seat versions in 07 for a company. As they were special order and Ford had 7 seat versions in stock which had extra discount, we ended up getting 7 seat models and getting the dealer to take the seats and belts out. I'd say there is still the full set sitting somewhere in Ashley Motors....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I test drove one when it was being launched here (May 2006 I think) and while it was a great drive and the 1.8 diesel engine was a real eye opener for power, the asking price of €35k (at the time) was a bit steep in my opinion for what is a compromise between an estate and a full size MPV. I tried and failed to fit our kid's double buggy in the "space" behind the rear seats (7 seater version) and as we needed a 7 seater (2 adults and 4 kids), it was therefore a non runner. And for an extra couple of grand, you could have the Galaxy which is a proper 7 seater.

I haven't seen many S Max's on the road in the past 3 years so I doubt that they're a great seller - still a nice car though.

Advertisement