Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate Biscuit Cake

• 20-03-2008 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi
    I ve been asked to make a chocolate biscuit cake for a wedding but its one Ive never made - Ive to make a few samples for the bride to try so I was wondering if anyone has any recipies ! The bride doesnt want any fruit or nuts in it but she mentioned marshmallows Does anyone have any recipes with a twist on the basic chocolate biscuit cake.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

I make CBC with just a mix of different types of biccies (choc digestives, hobnobs, ginger nuts and sometimes Jaffa cakes for a twist). Beat them all up but not into fine crumbs in a plastic bag.

Melt some good chocolate, add a little butter and stir the biscuits and marshmallows in. I use those tiny marshmallows you can sprinkle onto hot chocolate. Pack into a lined cake tin.

Put it into the fridge to set. Once it's set, melt some more chocolate and pour over to fill in any gaps. Chill again.

Mmmmmm........

*I haven't put amounts cos it depends on how many biscuits you're going to use as to how much chocolate and marshmallows you'll need.*

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JMGal

Thanks for that - Im gonna give it a go tonight and see how I get on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

My friend made this for dinner for us the other week and it was gorgeous. She's going to give me the recipe she used anyway so I'll try get it off her tonight/tomorrow and if I do I'll post it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

I use Darina Allen's recipe, but with a milkier chocolate, half and half rich tea and digestive biscuits, and glace cherries instead of the nuts. Yummy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

there was a post about this previously.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055140872
    plus there are plenty of recipes on the net for it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 redchef1970

Would CBC be acceptable as one tier of a wedding cake?
    Brothers wedding in march and has a serious sweet tooth so was thinkin of using this.
    Any comments greatly accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I had it for my wedding. Cuts great - goes a long way. And tastes fab :)

My friend made it for me - she puts all sorts of bars in it - Snickers, mars etc. And some dairy milk and cream to get the whole thing moving. Along with cherries and marshmallows.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

what would you ice a choclate biscuit cake with as a tier of a wedding cake. thinking of making one myself as part of the wedding cake but icing has being niggling me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lanbags

Brothers wedding in march and has a serious sweet tooth so was thinkin of using this.
    Any comments greatly accepted.

I used Darina Allens recipie and added marshmallows and lion bars as the bottom tier of my sisters cake and iced it in white chocolate. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Anything's acceptable as a wedding cake these days. I made nearly 300 rice krispie buns using Green & Black's milk, dark and white chocolate for my wedding. When they were all set, I got an enormous platter and, using a small amount of melted chocolate to help cement it together, I stacked them in pyramid tiers of alternating colours. It was messy as hell, but I tell there was precisely NONE of it left over. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Birdsong wrote: »
    what would you ice a choclate biscuit cake with as a tier of a wedding cake. thinking of making one myself as part of the wedding cake but icing has being niggling me

Mine was covered in a white chocolate ganache - worked well!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

1 tier? the whole thing! Dunno how these are only becoming popular as wedding & christening cakes now. They are very filling and easy to cut etc, they are not as messy as other cakes since people are eating less (and pissed at the time of desert!). If you leave plates of normal cake out many tend to go to waste, they get mashed up and nobody touches them. With these they are sort of like chocolate bars, I have yet to find somebody who doesn't like them too. But also none goes to waste. At recent weddings I got them, the only ones not eating much were girls I know watching their weight, but since it is like a bar it was more acceptable to pass it on (yes I scoffed everybodies:pac:), rather than a half eaten slice of normal cake which just seems wrong.

It also lasts very well, it stays fresh for ages as there is nothing really to go stale/hard, like a sponge cake. It is also ideal for wrapping in tinfoil/clingfilm for guests to take home.
    olaola wrote: »
    My friend made it for me - she puts all sorts of bars in it - Snickers, mars etc. And some dairy milk and cream to get the whole thing moving. Along with cherries and marshmallows.
    Sounds good, I would go easy on stuff like fruit as some do not like it, maybe make different tiers with smaller tiers having cherries, nuts etc.
    csd wrote: »
    Mine was covered in a white chocolate ganache - worked well!
    Good idea, I was going to say very thin icing as most people just pick it off to get to the goodness beneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Anything's acceptable as a wedding cake these days. I made nearly 300 rice krispie buns using Green & Black's milk, dark and white chocolate for my wedding. When they were all set, I got an enormous platter and, using a small amount of melted chocolate to help cement it together, I stacked them in pyramid tiers of alternating colours. It was messy as hell, but I tell there was precisely NONE of it left over. :D

INSPIRED!

Did you make them in paper cases, de-case them when set and then stack them?

hey, i was leaving mine in the freezer to cool and presumed that it would go very soft if you left it at room temperature. so... does this not happen?!?!? i'm deffo transferring mine to the fridge at least :) yum yum yum

hey, i was leaving mine in the freezer to cool and presumed that it would go very soft if you left it at room temperature. so... does this not happen?!?!? i'm deffo transferring mine to the fridge at least :) yum yum yum

It should set at room temp - but would take a while. I'd defo avoid the freezer and just lash it in the fridge.

alright :) i have been converted to the new ways!!!
    when i was first shown how to make this (by an Italian) the method included the freezer, so i never questioned it.

alright :) i have been converted to the new ways!!!
    when i was first shown how to make this (by an Italian) the method included the freezer, so i never questioned it.

If you forgot it - it could really go pear shaped. Freezer burn on chocolate doesn't taste good. My friend (the queen of CBC) just pops it in her fridge.

Cheers for all help.
    Would anybody have a receipe for easy rolled icing .have seen some receipes with ingredients that i wouldn't have access to.

cheers again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

INSPIRED!

Did you make them in paper cases, de-case them when set and then stack them?

That's precisely what I did. Logistically, you need to go to a friend's place, someone who has a large fridge, and persuade them to have said fridge empty for you - they need to be cold to set, because the high percentage cocoa chocolate that G&Bs do melts easily. Plus the stacked cake itself needs to be refrigerated until wedding time, because otherwise it won't stay stacked.

I added chopped dried apricots to the white chocolate cakes.

It doesn't cut particularly well, but it sort of 'comes apart' - and tbh everyone was so pissed and delighted with the novelty they relived their childhoods and started taking it apart with their fingers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

My one: this make enough to go in a loaf tin so expand quatities.

200g dark choc
    200g milk choc
    digestives i pack
    i tin of carnation milk condensed
    20 gms butter

Melt the butter and choc add crushed biscuits and tin of milk. Leave overnight in the fridge
    the condensed milk gives it a nice fudgy taste

• Advertisement

Hmmm, interesting logistical issues there.
    I'm wondering if maybe another option may be to use those cupcake stands they use instead of wedding cakes these days but having rice krispie buns instead of cupcakes. it may be more hygenic, easier to store etc. but maybe not as pretty. im going to have to do some trial runs. but yeah, absolutely fantastic idea! thanks!!
    That's precisely what I did. Logistically, you need to go to a friend's place, someone who has a large fridge, and persuade them to have said fridge empty for you - they need to be cold to set, because the high percentage cocoa chocolate that G&Bs do melts easily. Plus the stacked cake itself needs to be refrigerated until wedding time, because otherwise it won't stay stacked.

I added chopped dried apricots to the white chocolate cakes.

It doesn't cut particularly well, but it sort of 'comes apart' - and tbh everyone was so pissed and delighted with the novelty they relived their childhoods and started taking it apart with their fingers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cheers for all help.
    Would anybody have a receipe for easy rolled icing .have seen some receipes with ingredients that i wouldn't have access to.
    I think you can buy it ready to roll now. Like pastry.
    That's precisely what I did. Logistically, you need to go to a friend's place, someone who has a large fridge, ...

It doesn't cut particularly well, but it sort of 'comes apart'

To try and solve both things you might be able to make smaller "bricks", like in those rectangular baking tins. Then you can store the bricks on different shelves, or in a few houses. Then "glue" the bricks together with melted chocolate, or even icing on the day. Then you can take off an entire brick and cut it into slices a bit easier. Sort of like a terrys chocolate orange being stuck together by chocolate. If it was winter you could leave it in your shed.
    MJOR wrote: »
    the condensed milk gives it a nice fudgy taste
    Most will know, but just a warning, do not use evaporated milk, different stuff.

On the chocolate biscuit cake topic (sorry for going off there on rice krispie buns)
    Does anybody else notice that when eating chocolate biscuit cake, you can taste whatever it was in the fridge with?
    I have eaten it at numerous functions, where everyone else says its gorgeous and i take one mouthful and can not enjoy it because of this.
    I've found from making it myself, that eaten on the day its made is fine, just any later and it really isn't.
    Is this just me and my hyper-sensitive taste buds or has anyone else found this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

On the chocolate biscuit cake topic (sorry for going off there on rice krispie buns)
    Does anybody else notice that when eating chocolate biscuit cake, you can taste whatever it was in the fridge with?
    I have eaten it at numerous functions, where everyone else says its gorgeous and i take one mouthful and can not enjoy it because of this.
    I've found from making it myself, that eaten on the day its made is fine, just any later and it really isn't.
    Is this just me and my hyper-sensitive taste buds or has anyone else found this?

No you're right.. onions are a killer for this

rubadub wrote: »
    I think you can buy it ready to roll now. Like pastry.

yeah, have sourced it.
    Ta 4 your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 laneyw

im tryin to get a image of a cbc as a wedding cake, what does it look like? how thick is it?

I made my brothers wedding cake last month, with 3 different cakes, fruit, sponge & chocolate biscuite cake.
    Once they were iced, they all looked the same, I used the receipies from the odlums website, and they turned out great.
    I'll try to attached a picture for you - hope it works!

what kind of icing did you put on it? i would really love to see a picture but i mustnt be to easy to put them up on here

think i have it there, am not the most techie!

I iced the biscuit cake and sponge with butter icing first, and then used the roll out icing. Worked perfect. I got a big box of roll out in the shop in Blackrock, Cakes & Co, have to say they were very helpful.

• Advertisement

very nice, fair play, you must b a bit of a whiz in the kitchen.:) im considering having some sort of white chocolate icing. what sizes are those cakes? what size wedding did that size cake catter for? thanks for your help, i finally know what kind of cake i want and my H2b really likes the sound of it too!:D

Advertisement