Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy Europa Skype on WIFI

• 18-08-2011 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi just bought a Smasung Europa phone through 3 Ireland and impressed what i get for 39euro.

I have loaded skype through 3 apps and also seperately through the skype android download site.

My question is - is it possible to get either to run through house wi-fi instead of 3 network and how do i get this to work please?

Thanks
    Liam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Chris Hansen

liamg67 wrote: »
    Hi just bought a Smasung Europa phone through 3 Ireland and impressed what i get for 39euro.

I have loaded skype through 3 apps and also seperately through the skype android download site.

My question is - is it possible to get either to run through house wi-fi instead of 3 network and how do i get this to work please?

Thanks
    Liam

Turn mobile connection off, wifi on

• Registered Users Posts: 42 liamg67

Cool - silly question - how do I turn off the 3G?
    Do I need an app like APNdroid?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Cool - silly question - how do I turn off the 3G?

Easy, hold the power button till the menu comes up, mobile network is the first menu option.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Easy, hold the power button till the menu comes up, mobile network is the first menu option.

Not on the Europa unless running custom fw theres no way to turn data off (There maybe in the settings in 2.2 froyo once updated). I used a app called Quick Settings (free) which was the only successful thing at turning off data, APNdroid et al worked for about 20 seconds :rolleyes::rolleyes: . Fwiw I'm on Cynogen mod atm and it has a easy option to turn of data :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Not on the Europa unless running custom fw theres no way to turn data off

Mine's 2.2 got it from 3 recently for 39 yoyos great bargain. Maby the 3 fones have some front end jigerey pokery but that menu works for me.

• Advertisement

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Mine's 2.2 got it from 3 recently for 39 yoyos great bargain. Maby the 3 fones have some front end jigerey pokery but that menu works for me.

I used the unofficial 2.2 update so maybe thats why! Definately on 2.1 when I got the phone it had no option

Nick

Think I have figured this out and run a test - using skype and switching router off - to confirm that it wasn't running on 3 network.

To be honest it isn't a real issue now as 3 have there "eat all you want data" promotion. A real bargain with the 39 euro phone (which is great entry smart phone) and for every 20 euro top up get free data / skype / texts and weekend calls + an extra 10 euro credit for life. My understanding is though that the data promotion is only there till end of January and that skype out only works on international calls - which is Ok as most calls would be to UK friends anyway.

So happy out.

Thanks again for all your help.

Think I have figured this out and run a test - using skype and switching router off - to confirm that it wasn't running on 3 network.

To be honest it isn't a real issue now as 3 have there "eat all you want data" promotion. A real bargain with the 39 euro phone (which is great entry smart phone) and for every 20 euro top up get free data / skype / texts and weekend calls + an extra 10 euro credit for life. My understanding is though that the data promotion is only there till end of January and that skype out only works on international calls - which is Ok as most calls would be to UK friends anyway.

So happy out.

Thanks again for all your help.
    You need to download Skype from market place and Skype from planet 3:
    Skype from marketplace: Most up to date version, works on Wifi
    Planet 3 Skype: 3s own custom version works over 3G and allows you to use the free calls over 3G

Nick

Thanks had loaded both versions of skype - skype for three and the skype for android from skype website.

Just another quick question - can either use the skype in please?

Thanks had loaded both versions of skype - skype for three and the skype for android from skype website.

Just another quick question - can either use the skype in please?

I think only the market version of Skype can use Skype in, if you have a data addon you should be able use the market skype but it will cost you bandwidth

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement