Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal hunting or taking of deer in donegal

• 28-09-2009 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

just thought i`d make people aware of what is happening round donegal at the minute in relation to red deer, poaching has reached epidemic levels in some areas through shooting at night with spotlights (lamping), shooting outside the designated hunting seasons, snaring or trapping and in some case coursing deer with dogs,
    i shoot deer myself not for profit mind you just keep numbers down for a few local farmers and i butcher the meet and give what i don`t use myself away, i found a dead stag in a field last year with a gun shot wound to the gut witch would take hours for the deer to die out and another gun shot to the front leg witch dismembered the leg from the body this is happening all to often around donegal so lets help stop these cowboys,

heres just 2 report from donegal last season

Reported in the Daily Star - Friday 07.11.2008

Anger over Illegal Deer Hunt Teens

People as young as 18 are illegally hunting wild deer - using high powered rifles - in Co. Donegal.

A National Parks and Wildlife spokesman has confirmed it received reports of illegal hunting and wounding of animals in the Ballybofey area and has informed the Gardai.

One legitimate hunter and licence holder form East Donegal told The Star;

"These boys are between 18-20 years old - they are shooting deer and leaving them to die a slow death.

The boys do not have licences for their guns, let alone licences for hunting deer.

The Gardai need to clamp down hard on these boys before it is too late

Investigation into shooting of deer
    ANIMAL welfare groups have reacted in horror to the shooting dead of four deer close to a national park. Trigger-happy young hunters are being blamed for the killing of the stag, hind and two calves in a field in Glendowan near Glenveagh National Park Co Donegal
    The gruesome discovery is now the subject of an investigation by the National Parks and Wildlife Service and gardai.

Got this from the Irish Independent 07th Feb.

Red deer are everywhere in donegal not just on the pettigo mountain and outskirts of glenvagh most wooded areas in donegal have some red deer ,the season is open for Red males from the 1st sept to 31st dec and the the season for Red Female & Anterless Deer is open from 1st nov to the 28th feb, to shoot deer legaly you must have a Licence to shoot them and the 22/250 is min legal caliber at the moment so small caliber rifles and shotguns are illegal,
    So where you suspect illegal hunting or taking of deer, please contact your local Garda station or National Parks & Wild Life Service office, taking note of all relevant details such as location, date, time, vehicle registration and other details - but never approach

Heres a link to some more info on Deer

http://www.wilddeerireland.com/index.html

http://www.irishdeersociety.ie/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 nmg-lky

It's terrible that this is going on. Who ever is doing this is obviously doing it to get a kick as they're not taking the deer they kill. Hopefully those responsible will be caught.

Wasnt there a story not so long back about the eagles they released being poisioned. Some people are just idiots
    "These boys are between 18-20 years old - they are shooting deer and leaving them to die a slow death.

The boys do not have licences for their guns, let alone licences for hunting deer.

One point but, how do they know these people are 18 - 20 and have no licences! You would think to know this information they knew who they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Silver33

It just sickens me how cruel and callous people can be. :mad:

http://www.wilddeerireland.com/shine-a-light.html

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

nmg-lky wrote: »
    It's terrible that this is going on. Who ever is doing this is obviously doing it to get a kick as they're not taking the deer they kill. Hopefully those responsible will be caught.

Wasnt there a story not so long back about the eagles they released being poisioned. Some people are just idiots

One point but, how do they know these people are 18 - 20 and have no licences! You would think to know this information they knew who they were.

yes i thought that strange also that the paper or who ever told them seemed to know so much , yes thats true about the golden eagles a few were poisioned alrite some people just don`t care

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭weiss

wouldn't expect the guards to do very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

If caught what would the fines be? i'm guessing not enough.

• Advertisement

Senna wrote: »
    If caught what would the fines be? i'm guessing not enough.

heres an article from wicklow where deer pochers were brought to justice

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/190797/74077.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

2.5k between two people isn't really a lot seen you can be fined 1.5k for not having an NCT on your car.

I dont understand how these types of crime dont come with a bigger penalty, just as a pure deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭donegalboy

For obvious reasons, the papers can not print the names of people alleged to have commited a crime. The names of the 18-20 year olds were passed on to the relevant authorities, I believe...

Roughly speaking, what areas would you be talking about Deer Hunter?

any area in donegal that has deer in it seems to be getting hit like drumkeen, churchhill, doochary to gweedore, glenties, ardara, killybegs to frosses , laghy to pettigo, ballybofey to lifford ,like i said in my first post most wooded areas in donegal have deer in them

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

The rivers of Ireland have taken a severe hammering with the influx of people poaching as they see freshwater fish as a delicasy. Is this the same problem with deer do you think or just a free for all with guns? Dont deer hunters need to have a special course on shooting done before they get the papers to hunt? People should report illegal hunting before it gets out of control

• Registered Users Posts: 45,759 ✭✭✭✭muffler

rushnaldo wrote: »
    The rivers of Ireland have taken a severe hammering with the influx of "non nationals" poaching as they see freshwater fish as a delicasy
    Can you back this statement up please.

No, Im not in the least interested in google results. You made a wide sweeping statement which if not proven is a racist comment. You and you alone are responsible for your comments and you can either back them up or withdraw them but Im not going to allow such comments on this forum unless proven.

withdrawn didnt mean to offend.

rushnaldo wrote: »
    withdrawn didnt mean to offend.
    thats fair enough. Issue resolved.

Now we can all get back on topic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 loc5

deer are responsible for grazing farm land and it is imposable to keep them out as they can jump high its a bit like the fox hunting people are obsessed that they are taking chickens and lambs but how many rear chickens for the table these days with lidil and aldi about
    stray dogs, cats, mink and rats are the main cause of destruction not to mention magpies and crows these all cause damage to live stock and sheds but does anybody go after them???

unfortunately you can expect foxs and deer being hunted into extinction because its seen as fun/sport and they dont know nor want to know its just the culture of the people -cant blame the priests the politicians or the foreigners for this one

ironically its in donegal that the last colony of indigenous Irish deer are left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Gun nut

The forest near my home in the south east is the scene of deer coursing every Sunday by a gang using a pack of foxhound type dogs and I am sick and tired of reporting it to all relevant authorities.Reported it to Gardai several times who did not even take a statement.Indeed one guard stated that his superintendant told him that the coilte manager for the area had given permission to the coursers.Strange if someone can give someone else permission to do something illegal.Reported it also to parks and wildlife and in fairness the ranger did come down.Only problem is they never seem to be contactable on Sundays when this activity is taking place.Big difference between the strict way wildlife laws are enforced in other countries and what goes on in Ireland.

loc5 wrote: »
    deer are responsible for grazing farm land and it is imposable to keep them out as they can jump high its a bit like the fox hunting people are obsessed that they are taking chickens and lambs but how many rear chickens for the table these days with lidil and aldi about
    stray dogs, cats, mink and rats are the main cause of destruction not to mention magpies and crows these all cause damage to live stock and sheds but does anybody go after them???

unfortunately you can expect foxs and deer being hunted into extinction because its seen as fun/sport and they dont know nor want to know its just the culture of the people -cant blame the priests the politicians or the foreigners for this one

ironically its in donegal that the last colony of indigenous Irish deer are left

I didn't think we had indigenous deer in Donegal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

all jokes aside, where can I get a few venison steaks?

all jokes aside, where can I get a few venison steaks?

lidl but its not irish deer tho still good al the same , i would of been able to give you some but i haven't got out deer stalking this season due to an injury i still have to end of feb so might get one yet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

i remember hitting a stag with my car a few years ago down on the duel carrigeway down by coloony sligo, it jumped over the central barriers and i weas doing 60 managed to swerve and clipped it, it was still killed though it made some mess of my car, i phoned guards they said noting can be done, i got a phone call a week later form some fella accused me of stealing his deer for meat, i laughed and phoned the same guard again asking if anything could be done now i know who owned the deer and claim for the damage off him, he still said no i couldn't but said i had a right to take the deer and use it if i wanted to, i wish i knew that then!!!

anyways slightly off topic:P, i have noticed a few videos appearing online too of derr hunting, guys seem to have donegal accents too, they are dam good shots.

just bumping this up again keep people aware

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You come across a few people with guns, whatcha gonna do?

Take note of their car reg, and see how the police view people drive around with the unlicensed firearms. If they have NI reg's, report them to the PSNI. I'd say the PSNI have a different view on people with NI regs going around around with unlicensed firearms...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I live in South Donegal and my quiet little lane winds across the border...this time of year you'd be amazed at how busy the lane gets :rolleyes:

We've definitely had it with the poachers using their torches...anyone caught on our lane gets a bit of the ol' homeschool treatment...we and our neighbors chase them out of the area - once they realize they're caught they tuck tail & run! I think it's made a big difference that it's known our area is off-limits.

I understand the need to cull to keep populations in check - it's an unfortunate by-product of overhunting predators - but I have approached anyone welding a gun & flat-out asked to see their license. I was on a walk once w/ my daughter & saw a couple guys target hunting in the Forestry...I think they were legit enough, but haven't seen them back since I had the balls to confront them.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

Not every one out at night with a lamp is hunting deer ,i go out for a few farmers that i know that have problems with foxes .i dont mind any one comeing up to me as i have full permission from the land owners .
    AS for these people shooting deer that is not legit should have the full monty gun taken off them never to get another one, fine and jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stalker .243

Deer poaching has really got out of control in the Derryveagh and Churchill area.And it,s not all young people either.A few of the poachers are well knowen to the Garda and Glenveagh National Park .Just Fri.night or early Sat.someone shot a deer,on land wich they had no right to be on,and even used a tractor to remove it.The deer was shot beside a cattle shed with the stock in it.These,s idiot,s have no respect at all for the farmer,s.The head of the Hind and other part,s where just left in the field .The matter has been brought to the attention of the Milford Garda,wich I hope will look into it.Sometimes a Garda Patrol car seen at the place will help to detair future poaching.

Advertisement