Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Nothing a bit of Lustral doesnt sort out guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Nothing a bit of Lustral doesnt sort out guys

'Fraid it ain't quite that easy man. I'd know, been on Lustral for a while now - anti-depressants aren't a fix all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

hi guys hope everyone is doing ok....i was supposed to go back to work this week didn't work out im afraid. had a sever anxiety attack on monday....calming down a bit now:mad: quite dissapointed in myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

C_Dawg wrote: »
    Sh!t phi3 only saw your post now, did you get through that ok?

Ya i tend to calm down a bit after a shower and some alone time. Just going to try and avoid getting a lift home with him again any time soon. Cars are such a confined space,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 tikkaman

phi3 wrote: »
    Ya i tend to calm down a bit after a shower and some alone time. Just going to try and avoid getting a lift home with him again any time soon. Cars are such a confined space,

Confined space eh, i spent about 2 1/2 hrs in a pub with strangers.... and trying to talk, :( my CBT coach bless her spent all that time with me...

showing me my thinking error's, and trying to get me on the right path...

got very anxious going in myself, to a pub i was never in, She landed in about 10-15 mins after, felt like a cock on my own to be honest...

but i settled down a little until she sent me to the bar, and to try and talk to a fella or anyone... i couldn't :(

but i made it through the night, so i'm happy enough with that...

just need to try and have a little confidence in myself...

I'm sorry to hear you had a dough time...

tikkaman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

At times I find myself content in the loneliness as it's easier than facing up to things

hi C Dawg
    I find that too it's as if i feel safer being alone....like i dont have to explain myself to anyone

At times I find myself content in the loneliness as it's easier than facing up to things

yes i can funderstand that, i too feel like that at times....

but you gotta challange yourselfs to be strong, well i do at least as i dont want to be a lonely old man... :(

today has been a tough one...

thinking on the past.... :(

Tikkaman..

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

ashblag wrote: »
    hi C Dawg
    I find that too it's as if i feel safer being alone....like i dont have to explain myself to anyone

Hi Yeah i am the same its easier

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

this might seem weird but if im dressed down with no make up etc sometimes i feel more confident than when im dressed good... i feel no one is looking at me because i look 'normal'. Im not big headed but I am considered attractive but when im going out and 'looking good' I feel way less confident than when ive no make up on... I feel because people are looking at me and approving, i feel like i have to keep up being good and great and if im anything less THEY will feel disappointed. I go through crap myself and yet im more worried about what they feel. its crazy. anyone like this???

• Advertisement

hglegn- A lot of guys really dig the natural look on a girl so if this is something that you are comfortable with then keep on doing it. Less stress, more success :)

hi fellow posters...
    Little bit of good news. I made it back to work today after almost 5weeks off with depression and bad anxiety attacks.
    I was so nervous you have no idea. But I did it.

Hopefully things will work out! Fingers crossed:rolleyes:

ashblag wrote: »
    hi fellow posters...
    Little bit of good news. I made it back to work today after almost 5weeks off with depression and bad anxiety attacks.
    I was so nervous you have no idea. But I did it.

Hopefully things will work out! Fingers crossed:rolleyes:
    hglegn wrote: »
    this might seem weird but if im dressed down with no make up etc sometimes i feel more confident than when im dressed good... i feel no one is looking at me because i look 'normal'. Im not big headed but I am considered attractive but when im going out and 'looking good' I feel way less confident than when ive no make up on... I feel because people are looking at me and approving, i feel like i have to keep up being good and great and if im anything less THEY will feel disappointed. I go through crap myself and yet im more worried about what they feel. its crazy. anyone like this???

Thats great news ashblag really a big step in theright direction... well done...

hglegn, the natural look IS i consider alot sexier than plastering ones self in makeup...

but i do understnd where your coming from as a female friend of mine who is stunning feels the same way, she also has social anxiety, and has helped me in the start, to see things a bit clearer, she also linked me in with my CBT, therapist...

i went out to a pub in a large town last week as a task, was ****ting bricks but made it, felt a little uncomfortable to begin with, but slowly settled down,

my cbt, therapist came in after about 15 mins and showed me my thinking errors, etc,

It helped a little but i felt totally stupid that i needed to go through that with her as it just seemed like normal everyday life for others....

Still hav no confidence in myself when it come to females and talking to them..... :mad: its so fooking frustrating at times as i feel totally worthless..

tikkaman.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

Yo, I've had GAD for around four months now, all started with one Panic Attack. My mood has been down, I wouldn't say depressed, since then... but everyday I'm getting a bit better. After trying anti-ds I decided that they weren't for me as I don't think my problem is long term (the anti-ds were for a six month period). I was in counseling, but it was my parents' counselor, who was a family psychotherapist. She was great at listening but didn't really provide me with the tools to beat GAD. I switched to a CBT last week and already feel better. CBT counselors take no bs. You get assignments and you gotta do them! For me it was trying to induce a panic attack in crowded areas and the like. I would highly recommend CBT to anyone with anxiety problems. I knew from the start that CBT was the best bet for this, but felt bad leaving the counselor I was seeing... My anxiety is purely down to my parents' separtion and the stuff that went down in the last year that related to it... Affairs and the like. My CBT counselor says I definitely had a foundation for a GAD problem (OCD patterns, worrier, over-thinker) and that it was bound to become a problem for me at one point in my life. In many ways I'm glad it's happening now - it will let me sort it out and get over it asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Hiya,
    interested to hear what you guys think of this article :rolleyes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1278510/Depression-Its-just-new-trendy-illness.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Clementine

I feel a panic attack coming on. Does anyone else suffer from especially bad anxiety on Sunday evenings?

I haven't had a proper panic attack in months. I was off work all this week with medical tests on Mon and Tues and a death in the family which took up the rest of the week. It was completely legit being off work, they were fine with it, but yet I feel anxious going back.

Feel a bit better already posting about it, so I think I'll continue and write a few lists for the week before I go to bed. And have a chamomile tea. Don't want to give in to the attack!

Sometimes it helps me to think of myself as a no-body. When i'm scared to go out to work or go to a doctor or wherever it might be i'm going. Like every day billions of people get up and go to work. So why would anyone be paying attention to me. I'm just one of the staff. Or in a doctors or wherever. I'm just the next name on the list. They arent going to focus on every little individual. I don't know if that will make sense to u guys or is it just more of my crazy talk!!! :D

Getting completely stressed out, texted my hubbie saying a message he had sent me had made me upset, now hes not texting anything back to me and I'm afraid hes pi*sed off at me. Normally if he does something that bothers me i just stay quiet and feel angry/upset inside but becuase Im trying to get stronger I thought it would be a better thing for it to be out in the open then me silently being upset with him but now i feel i shouldnt have said anything, better me being upset with him than him being upset with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I've been having a really bad couple of weeks lately :( I really don't think my antidepressants are working, so I'm going to chat to the psychiatrist about changing them.

Does anyone have good tips for trying to distract yourself when you're down? I've tried so much to distract myself lately, but none of them seems to be working :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭deadpoet

I've just spent the last 15mins reading over a few of the posts in this thread and I want to wish all of you people every ounce of happiness you deserve.

Posessing chronic major depression for 12 years (22 now, ugh), I've recently began to see that much of my mood is dictated by my thoughts - which indeed will seem obvious to a vast amount of folk - but now I'm beginning to find that each new day I'm developing more control over wheither my thoughts are positive or negative.

I'm hoping its the Wellbutrin (Zyban 150mg x2)...or that its just lifting naturally, which has only ever happened twice; once when I was sober of alcohol and street drugs for 8 months and the other when I began Cymbalta (deluxotine 60mgs x2).

I'll check out some of the the other posts now. Hang on in there my friends; if a guy like me who was that bad that he couldnt even leave the house for a year can invert every aspect of his behaviour theres an astronomical chance most of you can too.

Fingers crossed I'm heading into an "up" period for the Summer months...

• Advertisement

Hi.
    I'm thinking of buying a house but it seems like such a scary thing to do. I'm a bit scared to phone around solicitors and estaet agents and banks and all that.
    I really don't understand any of it.
    Does anyone here have any recent experience of it? I can't ask in the property forum as i'm sure they would just tell me to phone around because they don't know how hard that is for me.
    I don't know where to start. Do i need to find a property first and find out how much they're willing to accept for it, or do i need to go to a bank first to find out how much they're willing to lend me?
    Also solicitors? I don't have one. Do i have to phone every solicitor in cork city to find out what rates they charge for mortgages?
    If any of you can offer some help it would be really great.
    Thanks.

I think i better say this in this thread coz i don't think people without anxiety would understand.
    It looks like my job is going to change a bit. I'm going to have to start being involved with customers. Basically phoning them and stuff. Which mightn't sound like a big thing, but to me it's huge. I don't know if i'll be able to do it. I'm not bad at my job at the moment and it involves very little interaction which suits me fine. But this is a disatrer. I can't tell my boss because there's no way he'd undersatnd. He makes hundreds of phone calls a day and wouldn't think twice about it. I don't think there's anything i can do about it. It's going to make me dread coming into work every day. Help.

I think i better say this in this thread coz i don't think people without anxiety would understand.
    It looks like my job is going to change a bit. I'm going to have to start being involved with customers. Basically phoning them and stuff. Which mightn't sound like a big thing, but to me it's huge. I don't know if i'll be able to do it. I'm not bad at my job at the moment and it involves very little interaction which suits me fine. But this is a disatrer. I can't tell my boss because there's no way he'd undersatnd. He makes hundreds of phone calls a day and wouldn't think twice about it. I don't think there's anything i can do about it. It's going to make me dread coming into work every day. Help.

First of all, you will probably adapt to that situation quicker than you'd think. Also, you ahve to identify your primary fear. Will you mess up with something you say on the phone? Will you get very anxious on the phone and feel the need to 'flee'? I think that you have to learn to accept that you might feel anxious from time to time, but that they won't notice and you will take control as much as you can.

get to a CBT cousellor if you can. I have had this problem my whole life but it only really came ahead this year (it used to be an acute thing- i was never shy and always did well in school, but i was a constant worrier! this escalated into full blown GAD and now I'm in therapy and it's the BEST thing for anxiety - don't go to any quack counselor, go to a speicifally trained CBT professional. It will take a good few sessions, but it will work!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I'm not being funny here and believe me I do understand how big a deal this can be for people. Most people experience some form of anxiety at some level at various stages through their lives. I'm a psychotherapist and friends of mine who are also therapists often get anxious before public speaking for example. Anxiety is part of the human condition, sadly it does have more of a profound effect on some as oppossed to others.

Now your never know maybe your boss is a pr!ck, but also maybe he would understand that it may be difficult for you to do this aspect of your job. Clearly you will have a better sense of him than any of use here, in reality as oppossed to your head, how do you think he would react if you spoke to him about it? I'm not asking you to answer it here, but to think on it yourself.

Some people can be very understanding about issues like this, for all you know your boss could be in therapy. A lot of people who appear to be very assertive and happy actually are not, you never really know what is going on in their lives, or they may have experience of it with a family member.

As I said you don't know and maybe it would not go down too well if you brought the topic up, you will know best. All I'm saying is it may not be a big of an issue with him as you think.

I remember my first year working in a rehab clinic I was terriffied at times, having to call various doctors and psychiatrists, often it showed in my voice; its like my vocal cords thighten when I'm anxious. It can still happen, it happens to a lot of people, but there are options. You just have to find one that works for you.

Odysseus wrote: »
    I'm not being funny here and believe me I do understand how big a deal this can be for people. Most people experience some form of anxiety at some level at various stages through their lives. I'm a psychotherapist and friends of mine who are also therapists often get anxious before public speaking for example. Anxiety is part of the human condition, sadly it does have more of a profound effect on some as oppossed to others.

Now your never know maybe your boss is a pr!ck, but also maybe he would understand that it may be difficult for you to do this aspect of your job. Clearly you will have a better sense of him than any of use here, in reality as oppossed to your head, how do you think he would react if you spoke to him about it? I'm not asking you to answer it here, but to think on it yourself.

Some people can be very understanding about issues like this, for all you know your boss could be in therapy. A lot of people who appear to be very assertive and happy actually are not, you never really know what is going on in their lives, or they may have experience of it with a family member.

As I said you don't know and maybe it would not go down too well if you brought the topic up, you will know best. All I'm saying is it may not be a big of an issue with him as you think.

I remember my first year working in a rehab clinic I was terriffied at times, having to call various doctors and psychiatrists, often it showed in my voice; its like my vocal cords thighten when I'm anxious. It can still happen, it happens to a lot of people, but there are options. You just have to find one that works for you.

Not that he's not a decent person but i wouldn't be able to tell anyone that

It looks like my job is going to change a bit. I'm going to have to start being involved with customers. Basically phoning them and stuff. Which mightn't sound like a big thing, but to me it's huge.

I can relate because this is exactly what happened to me in work and unfortunately I had to throw in the towel as I couldn't face it. Felt like it was the end of the world for me. Hope ya get through it ok :)

I can relate because this is exactly what happened to me in work and unfortunately I had to throw in the towel as I couldn't face it. Felt like it was the end of the world for me. Hope ya get through it ok :)

Thanks. Dunno what i'm gonna do. I was getting on pretty ok i this job so i don't want it all to go wrong. Have to wait and see how it goes i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Hi

Just found this thread and am looking for any opinion on zimoclone. My Doctor prescribed it to help me sleep due to extreme stress. Blood Pressure is up but managable.

Big problem is I feel like a zombie and have a feeling that zimoclone is causing depression and my brain/mind to go places that it has never gone before. Not taking it tonight and going to Doctor in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

newman10 wrote: »
    Hi

Just found this thread and am looking for any opinion on zimoclone. My Doctor prescribed it to help me sleep due to extreme stress. Blood Pressure is up but managable.

Big problem is I feel like a zombie and have a feeling that zimoclone is causing depression and my brain/mind to go places that it has never gone before. Not taking it tonight and going to Doctor in the morning

Are you talking about Zopiclone? In the UK it is called Zimovane. 'Cause if that's what you're talking about, I take it.

I can't say it has ever caused me to feel badly though. However, I do take it along side an anti-depressant and insomnia was always a huge problem for me so it has helped me quite a bit in that line.

You should definitely go back to your GP though, because medications can cause different side effects in people so while I (or others) may have taken it with no adverse reaction, the same cannot be assumed for you.

There are plenty of other sleeping pills available which your doctor could prescribe for you, if needs be, so don't worry. Take it easy, hope you're doing okay.

EDIT : Just had a Google and saw it is also called Zimoclone in Ireland, so yeah, we are talking about the same thing! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Delicate_Dlite

Hi,
    I'm new here, I have anxiety/depression, I've had both since primary school, but I never had it treated until it started to affect my academic work the year before last.

Basically my anxiety got so bad that I screwed my 3rd yr in Uni, on a degree I loved and then took last year off. Looking into going back, but well, talking to people about why I screwed up/took the year, makes me anxious, so it's a bit of a vicious circle right now. :rolleyes:

I've been under a doc's & therapist's care for about a year now, 6 months with CBT, and I'm on Lexa.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement