Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to buy a bow.

• 25-05-2015 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

i want to take up archery and i want to buy the martin jaguar recurve takedowm bow. i have looked it up on loads of sites and it cheapest of ebay and amazon but neither deliver to ireland. does anyone know where is the best and cheapest place to buy and how to get it into the country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Funny, I also did a search for "Best recurve bow" and had the same idea :)

Its a great hunting bow but a crap takedown bow and even the ILS version is a pain to takedown as its not a proper ILS limb..

FWIW you can buy them on amazon and ebay where some sellers will ship to ireland. Cn amazon click the link below where it says it doesn't ship to ireland and look for ones that do international shipping:

Example: on this page where is says 22 new from :

http://www.amazon.com/Martin-Jaguar-Takedown-35-Pound-Camouflage/dp/B007D0IBWE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1432586380&sr=8-4&keywords=martin+jaguar

brings you here

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B007D0IBWE/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I didnt buy one because, after doing a beginners course, I found a bow I really liked and bought that.

Seriously, do a beginners course, Try other peoples bows, See that everyone who bought bows with screw in limbs sell theirs in a matter of weeks and get something you like. If you aren't used to drawing a bow 35 pounds and up will be to much for you to shoot well. The videos and stuff on youtube for this advocate 50 pound versions for a grown man, you CANNOT shoot that safely.

where are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 darraghtobin

im from waterford, i cant find any seller on ebay or amazon thats post to ireland...i found one in the uk but he added on 50 pounds to the actual price which is almost half the total cost of the bow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

You're more than welcome to try out my Martin Hunter to see if it's the type of bow you would be interested in. I'm in Waterford too. But, I would advise doing a beginners course before you buy anything. We have beginners courses in our woods in Kilmeaden. :)

im from waterford, i cant find any seller on ebay or amazon thats post to ireland...i found one in the uk but he added on 50 pounds to the actual price which is almost half the total cost of the bow

:confused::confused::confused::confused:
    Seriously, Theres a dozen on the link I just posted.....

This ebay seller , the very first one when you type "martin jaguar bow" into ebay.ie ships to ireland for free.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-2014-Martin-Jaguar-Take-Down-Recurve-Bow-Next-G1-Vista-Camo-45-Right-Hand-/291341631397?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43d5507fa5

If you want the 2015 model (not a significant upgrade on the 2014 unlike their compounds)yea, its 50 quid postage which is actually extremely reasonable for shipping from the states..

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_odkw=martin+jaguar+bow&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xmartin+jaguar+bow+2015.TRS0&_nkw=martin+jaguar+bow+2015&_sacat=0

thanks wabbit, sorry i was on my phone and it didnt bring it all up

• Advertisement

im just done t.y and was hoping just to spend 200 on it to have something fun i could take up for the summer, im planning on studying all lot for 5th year so since i wouldnt be using it a lot after september im trying to keep the whole cost below 200 but thanks.....quick question, why is the 2014 bow more expensive than the 2015?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Darragh, I'd suggest to take up Lardy's idea of doing a beginner's course. Archery is one of those things that's not as easy as it looks but it can be a sport for life. For example, are you right or left eye dominant? Do you think 35# is the right poundage for a beginner? Does a deflex riser like that one make a good bow to start with? Will you be able to choose the correct spine of arrows to shoot with it so they will fly straight? Archery can be frustrating when things are going wrong and you don't know how to fix them. Being in a club helps with that. I suggest you put your money into a beginners course and take it from there. You may even be able to pick up some suitable second-hand equipment.

With a little help you would soon be able to take on targets like this one..

350003.jpg

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Absolutely.

axiom-plus-bow.jpgaxiom-plus.jpg

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

ok so it turns out theres a lot more thought needed on this, good thing i posted this, thanks for all the help its been a huge help i wont make any rash decisions thanks again to all of ye

• Advertisement

is it illegal to import a bow from america?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

No it's not. I've a couple of bows I bought in Estonia. Another from Hungary, and one from Germany.
    Buy away. Postage can be costly though!

Edited to add: You'd be a fool not to take up Lardy's generous offer above. You'd learn more in a couple of hours with him than any internet thrawling!
    Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

quick question, why is the 2014 bow more expensive than the 2015?

There is no logical reason, I picked one up for $120 from an Ebay seller a few months back, but prices recently seem to have inflated for no reason.
    If you want the 2015 model (not a significant upgrade on the 2014)

I have to disagree, the 2015 IS definitely a significant upgrade, no so much on the Limbs, but the riser was designed AS a takedown recurve with a proper shelf for Trad shooting and ILF dovetail fittings, unlike the old version which was basically a warf bow, a mish-mash of an old Jaguar compound cut-past-center riser with limbs made to fit it - the grip is uncomfortable and you are very restricted to what arrow rests will fit unless you DIY a new shelf and sideplate.

Its a fine bow for $120-130 However for $200 there are MUCH better bows for the same, or slightly more money.

The SF bow mentioned is a fine bow for someone getting into olympic archery but is going to be completely wrong for getting into instinctive or trad being both heavy, long and not a shelf shooter.

First thing you gotta do is do some kind of introductory course or just have a talk with an instructor and find out:
    • What kind of archery you want to do ? Olympic or Traditional ?
    • What weight bow do you need ?

Only armed with that important information will you be able to decide what kind of bow you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I so want this!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SteveBabyface

The other option of course is to call in to Sarah @ Master Archery in Enniscorthy and have a chat with her sarah@masterarchery.ie. She has a range of bows and a practice area so you can try before you buy.

I would certainly recommend doing a beginners course so you at least know what you are talking about and will have some idea as to your draw length and what draw weight that will suit. There are a lot of beginner archers out there who have bought a bow and then once the joined a club have been told that they bought the wrong thing and had wasted their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭seanin4711

post to ireland?

looking at this for a starter kit and postage is 17 sterling!!!
    anywhere in Ireland that i could get similar?
    http://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/sherwood-archery-bow-kit-44.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

seanin4711 wrote: »
    post to ireland?

looking at this for a starter kit and postage is 17 sterling!!!
    anywhere in Ireland that i could get similar?
    http://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/sherwood-archery-bow-kit-44.html

£12 as far as I can see. (when i checked a diff bow)

Not sure how small these fold up but parcel motel northern ireland address could be another option for some people.

Make sure to read the reviews to be sure it's what you're looking for.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭DB888

Also looking for a beginners recurve bow. Any ideas after I do the beginners course?
    Thanks

You'll get help from the club after you've finished a course. You may be able to use a club bow for a while too.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

also keep an eye on the Facebook groups 'Archery ireland Buy and Sell' and 'Archery Equipment for sale or Swap Ireland'

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

After being measured up at his Archery lessons, my son decided to go with this set: Aim Archery
    It seems like a very good deal. I couldn't find much to suit him on the FB site.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Got the kit, and it seems to be very good value. Kap bow, Easton Jazz arrows. Shipped via DHL.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 rhabarbarum

I also want a bow, but something without much drawing strength, or smth that I can regulate.

I also want a bow, but something without much drawing strength, or smth that I can regulate.

Bear in mind its not just the poundage, a bow should be bought to also fit your height and draw length and suit the style of archery.

e.g. Theres no point in buying a fancy Olympic recurve if your goal is to shoot traditional and definitely no point in buying a recurve if you want to shoot compound.

Go to a range and talk to a coach about your archery goals or you'll end up buying a load of gear you don't need or doesn't work right together.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

was.deevey wrote: »
    ... or you'll end up buying a load of gear you don't need or doesn't work right together.
    Even when you DO know what kind of bow you want you'll still end up buying loads of gear your don't need. I have two bows yet I own four cases...feckin' impulse buys. :o

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Haha, too true mate, too true

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mjcb

No, it's not illegal.

Advertisement